Are tires getting more difficult to remove and mount ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have to get both sides of the tar into the well after breaking both beads.....I made up a clamp using a large C-clamp and some cut and welded angle-iron which squeezes about 1/4 of the tire opposite the side I trying to get off...piece of cake...

have to get both sides of the tar into the well after breaking both beads.....I made up a clamp using a large C-clamp and some cut and welded angle-iron which squeezes about 1/4 of the tire opposite the side I trying to get off...piece of cake...
I'd love to see a photo.

I have a 2015A and the original Battleaxes cupped front and back plus flat in the middle on both in 3300 miles. I had a low mileage set of Shinko's R009 on a set of Kawasaki wheels so I stole them to put on the FJR. I have a No-Mar and the Bridgestones were still a hassleThe Shinko's were easy to mount and balance

griff: Getting ready to put on Roadsmart 3s. Waiting for a REAL hot day to cook them babies
fuk.gif
No worries griff. RS3s mount easier than 'stones. Little warmth and lube and the tires will fall on!

~G

I just picked up my rear wheel with the new tire mounted from the dealer. I was able to talk to the tech that took off the old one and he said that it was indeed a very tight bead and even with professional grade tools and experience, he still struggled more than normal. From the way he explained how he removed the old tire, I was doing everything right but just couldn't get the opposite side of the tire ( both sides ) down into the drop center. I feel somewhat better. And, now for that front tire...

I'm on FJR #4 (1 '03 new, 3 04's..and 1 ST1300)) and approx. 500K miles. Over the past several yrs I've used Michelin PR's but last couple years Roadsmarts. There is a huge difference in sidewall/carcass stiffness. I use a No-Mar mounted to the floor. Also use some small wood blocks to hold bead down in well as well as large bar clamps from Lowes and the No-Mar accessory. Regardless, for one person they are a pain to mount compared to the old Michelins. Warm tires and about a minute's help from an "assistant" can make life much easier. As far as mileage there's little measurable difference if any. I get 5-6K miles per SET riding Western NC ("Dragon" type roads) and can double that on cross country marathons. Thus I take mileage discussions with a grain of salt if you are comparing comparable premium tires. One set of cheap Continentals lasted about 3K as I recall.

It's all technique folks. With the stiffer tires, you've got to keep the tire down in the center to make enough room for mounting. An extra set of hands always helps...or use the NoMar "extra hands" to help. Don't forget lots of lube too!
~G
Absolutely! Even with the NoMar "extra hands" it's still far more of a struggle to mount T31s compared to the PRs. But at $190 a set after the $60 Factory rebate from Bridgestone it was worth the fight. :)

I mounted a couple RS3's this weekend. About the same level of difficulty as Bridgestones. Surely a little tougher than Michelins. I use a generous amount of tire paste on the wheel (including the valley) and the tire beads.