Arkansas ride planning help?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk000

Reaction score
I did't want to highjack the other thread...We're looking to do something the weekend of Oct. 17-18 from Dallas.

The problem is that it takes a good part of the day just to get to Arkansas. We are thinking about leaving Friday night in order to get in a position to have some good rides Saturday and then return to Dallas on Sunday.

Anybody have some suggestions for a two-day ride out and back from Dallas?

Thanks.

The easiest way to do this is to look at the routes in the other thread (Arkansas All Day). IMO and probably most any others that ride Arkansas on a regular basis, is that the roads in those routes are as good as they get in Arkansas. That area is the premium riding in Arkansas! So, from Dallas, I'm not sure, figure out how to get there as fast as possible and then ride as much as you can. You want get it all, but you'll be back!

Talimena is beautiful, you should check it out. Russelville is a good place to stay, as you are centrally located and have three mountain peaks nearby. You can use this as a reference:

Central

South

If you have time, SR7 from El Dorado to Harrison is fantastic, but geared toward a longer trip. SR16 and SR123 are great as well. Some of the best roads my father and I found were by complete accident. Go and get lost...you won't regret it...even the farm roads in arkansas are immaculate in comparison to other states.

Have fun,

Regards,

Davy

Thanks for the links. I like that web site.

The problem is getting out of Dallas and up to some good roads...I need a teleporter! :angry:

not meant to be a hijack but for trip planning purposes and not making any judgments political or otherwise: isn't Russellville in a dry county?

I would recommend that you leave on a Thursday. Too many good roads to cover in one day, plus the odds of it raining are decent this time of year. Also, traffic is less on a weekday making the ride a bit better on a Friday. I have some routes in AR if you're interested. Just PM me with your e-mail address

One of the things i hate about riding in the fall, Is leaves... Watch out for them on the roads after a rain.... They be slick!

You can do a nice two day ride to Arkansas, but it's not enough time to reach & ride the really good stuff. All the roads which recieve the most superlatives are north of I-40. It's a good days ride up to I-40, assuming you take the back roads. For route advice I suggest you wander on over to the Two Wheeled Texans website - https://www.twtex.com. Use google to search it for Arkansas route advice (arkansas route site:twtex.com).

How many miles do you want to ride in a day? My suggestion is to take the Kiamichi Trace (Hwy 271) up to Clayton, OK. Then up to Talihina and onto the Talimena trail. From Mena, AR, take 270/70/28/27/10 to 309, which goes up and over Mt. Magazine. (Be sure to stop at the lodge - too late to get a room there, though.) From there you have easy access to a number of towns on I-40. Here's a map: https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&r...l=en&tab=wl This is 425 miles from Plano, all on secondary roads, and would make for a good long day.

Route home repeats the Talimena trail, then drops more south through Broken Bow and angles down to Paris. Note the jog off 144 over to Smithville - there was a 7-8 mile section of 144 that was not paved; haven't been able to verify whether it is now or not. FM195 from Silver City into Paris is actually a nice ride; quiet, good road with nice sweepers. https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&r...l=en&tab=wl

I have a weekend pass the 17th & 18th and am thinking of riding Arkansas myself. Shoot me a PM if you might be interested in riding together.

- JimY

Thanks. I've been up Mount Magazine this past summer in a car.

Looks like we're going out on Friday 10/16 and return Sunday 10/18.

Maybe headed toward Mena,AR via Broken Bow, OK. Most of the hotels are already booked up. We snagged 3 rooms at the Mena Mountain Resort for Friday night but haven't found anything for Saturday yet.

**Anyone have lodging suggestions for Saturday 10/17 in Arkansas??**

JimY you should certainly ride with us. If you can't take Friday off let's try to meet up in Arkansas and ride back on Sunday. We are whimps when it comes to weather so come Thursday 10/15 we may need to make alternative plans if the weather looks bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
**Anyone have lodging suggestions for Saturday 10/17 in Arkansas??**
This is one of my favorite places:

https://www.arlingtonhotel.com/

Stay there, just hang-out at the bar, take the waters (they're known to help just about everything -- what-the-heck, can't hurt...?) -- whatever, it's a memorable experience. 100 miles (or less?) from Mena by direct route -- or, stretch it out by riding up towards Magazine Mt./Petit Jean S.P. and down Scenic 7 to Hot Springs. It really is an interesting little, old-fashioned, tourist town to visit (imho).

(or, stay in the lodge/cabins @ Petit Jean?)

You can do a nice two day ride to Arkansas, but it's not enough time to reach & ride the really good stuff.
I agree... :(

But, take what you can...! :)

There's also some nice riding in E.OK -- Sans Bois Mts. & Winding Stair Mts. -- Wilburton to Talihina.

Good idea. I stayed at the Arlington in July and it looks like they have availablility which is a good thing.

So here's the plan.

Friday: Dallas, to Antlers, OK to Clayton, OK to Talihina,OK to Mena, AR (285 miles; 6 hours on the road)- Sleep in Mena

Saturday: Mena,AR to Needmore,AR to Ola, AR to Hot Springs, AR - ( 138 miles +/- detours; 4 hours on the road +/-) Sleep in Hot Springs

Sunday: Hot Springs, AR to Broken Bow, OK to Dallas(282 miles; 6 hours on the road) Sleep in your own bed.

I not sure why but this weekend I bought beer at the Colton Steakhouse in Russiville next to the Best Western without a membership. You can find liquior stores within 20 miles. Just ask the locals.

Couple of buddies and I are heading for Magazine Mountain then wind our way up to Mountain Home on Sat. Sunday up to southern MO via 125,160,248 down to 90 west. :yahoo:

Couple of buddies and I are heading for Magazine Mountain then wind our way up to Mountain Home on Sat. Sunday up to southern MO via 125,160,248 down to 90 west. :yahoo:

From Magazine to Mtn Home is a lot of winding there petey, sounds like fun.

bk000, petey knows where the good stuff is, it would be well worth it if you good latch on with these guys!

We will be on Mt. Magazine on Saturday too!

Keep a lookout for us. There will be four of us (me on a Blk FJR; a Blk Harley Fatboy; a red/white FJ 1200; and another guy- I don't know what he drives).

Here's our route:

Day 1 – Friday, October 16, 2009

McKinney to Bonham via Tx-121 & Tx-56

Bonham to Paris via US-83 E

Paris, Tx to Antlers, OK via US-271 N **PORTION IS TOLL WAY – INDIAN NATION TURNPIKE **

Antlers, OK to Clayton, OK via US-271 **LUNCH**

Clayton, OK to Talihina, OK via US-271

Talihina, OK to Mena via US-271/OK-1/US-259/US-71

APPROX. 5.5 HOURS DRIVE TIME – 265 MILES +/-

Day 2 – Saturday, October 17, 2009

Mena, AR to Needmore, AR via US-71

Needmore, AR to Rover, AR via SR-28

Rover, AR to Danville, AR via SR-27

Danville, AR to Mount Magazine State Park and Lodge in Paris, AR via SR-309/SR-10 **LUNCH AT THE LODGE**

Mt. Magazine back through Danville,AR on thru to Mount George, AR via SR-309/SR-10/S-27/SR-154

Mt. George to Ola, AR via SR-154/SR-7

Ola, AR to Hot Springs, AR via SR-7

APPROX. 5.5 HOURS DRIVE TIME – 194 MILES +/-

Day 3 – Sunday, October 18, 2009

Hot Springs, AR to Broken Bow, OK via SR-7/US-70/US-259

Broken Bow, OK to Paris, TX via US-70/US-271 **LUNCH SOMEWHERE**

Paris to Bonham via US-82

Bonham to McKinney via Tx-56 & Tx-121

APPROX. 5.5 HOURS DRIVE TIME – 280 MILES +/-

Are these the HOON riders?

Have fun petey! :yahoo:
Wheaty, no these guys are from the Tulsa area...but yea, some of them you could call HOONS :unsure: <_<

bk000, we'll be looking for ya.