Assembling my Motion Pro Econ tuner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayshaw91

Reaction score
Ok, I'm a pictures, not words dude, I guess.

I get the part about cutting the tubes in to equal pieces.

I get where to put the mercury once I get to that point.

What I don't get is what I am doing with the restrictors, which I assume are the tiny white pieces. It says shove them in 3/4. Ok, cool, now is it that end that's going to the tool side or the unplugged side?

How far down the top of the hard plastic tube so I have to push the rubber tubes?

Just making sure I build this right seeing tomorrow is my first TBS, plus installing my electrical outlet goodies.

Ok, I'm a pictures, not words dude, I guess.
I get the part about cutting the tubes in to equal pieces.

I get where to put the mercury once I get to that point.

What I don't get is what I am doing with the restrictors, which I assume are the tiny white pieces. It says shove them in 3/4. Ok, cool, now is it that end that's going to the tool side or the unplugged side?

How far down the top of the hard plastic tube so I have to push the rubber tubes?

Just making sure I build this right seeing tomorrow is my first TBS, plus installing my electrical outlet goodies.

Just shove them into the ends of the tube as far as you can. I think mine might be in there about an inch. (the side that you'll connect to the TB).

Mine are installed closest to the graduated tool side... not on the engine side of the tool. I'm not sure why I did it this way..... I don't have the instructions anymore. I am one of those rare freaks that will read instructions though... probably the way to go. This also make it easy to have them all installed an equal measured distance from the top of the rigid tubes in the tool. This way the vacuum reservoir effect of the non-restricted ends of the tube is equal (granted you cut all tubes exactly the same distance).

My 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried finding my Motion Pro instructions but I think they have been recycled (strike 1)

I went to the Motion Pro website, looks like they do not even sell the mercury version anymore (strike 2)

My Motion pro is setup like this:

-Holding it vertical (so the mecury doesn't fall out and kill all Californians)

-Mercury at the bottom

-4 ~equal length hoses coming out the top

-At the end of these hoses which connect to each of the cylinder TBS ports you will insert a restrictor into each hose.

-These restrictors is what dampens the vacuum to give you a smoother reading

-They have to be pushed in far enough so you can get them over the bike fittings (cylinder 1-4)

-No need for any of the 5mm or 6mm adapters, the bare hoses fit right on

In my experience, they really are not even needed (if you are careful with the throttle)

What I mean by careful with the throttle is, when you open it to increase the RPM, DO NOT slam it shut or just let it go closed on spring pressure. Close it SLOWLY by hand, otherwise you will suck mercury from the Motion pro into your engine.

I don't say this to scare you into taking it to your dealer, it is very easy to do, just a word of caution.

Easy on the closing action of the throttle and all will be fine.

From the Morgan Carbtune site, here is their take on restrictors

How to make the dampers

Refer to drawing opposite. In the bag with the adapters you will have received a fine bore thick wall clear plastic tube (No 1). It is about 8cm long x 5mm diameter. With a craft knife cut the thick wall tube into four roughly equal pieces. These are the four restricters (No 2). (For the 2-column the tube is about 4cm long and is cut into 2 pieces.)

Cut about 10cm (4”) off the end of each 1 metre black rubber hose. Push a restricter into the 10cm rubber hose. Now push the remaining 90cm (3ft) rubber hose onto the other side of the restricter (No 3). Do this for each hose.

The length of the rubber hose is not critical. You can make them longer by adding more hose. The restricters need to be about 90cm from the Carbtune. The longer the tube between the restricters and the Carbtune, the more the damping. The shorter, the less the damping.

The restricted part of rubber tube must go towards the engine, not the Carbtune. If the restricters are beside the Carbtune it will not be properly damped. The restricters will reduce fluctuations to acceptable levels for most bikes but some bikes may still give readings that pulsate too much even with the dampers in place. Moving the gauges very slightly off vertical will add some extra friction and damping but make sure the rods are still pulsating slightly or the readings may be affected.

The rods need to pulsate to some degree for the gauge to work properly.

Final word of advice:

When (not if) you lose one of the metal clips that hold the rubber pieces on, don't worry too much, it's not the end of the world. As long as you have the rubber caps over the fitting (being held on by friction and engine vacuum) you will be fine. Replace the metal clip only if you are really anal :)

Always a good idea to have a few spare rubber caps though, they can jump right out of your hand!

Part number: (list price)

895-14169-00-00 (Rubber cap) Cap $2.94 ea

8A7-14139-00-00 (metal clip) Clip, pipe $2.15 ea

At WFO this year I was helping Warchild do DocDanDC's FJR and when we lifted the tank, we had a good surprise (Anyone out there have a picture of it?? someone was standing by with a camera) His stealership had lost one of his rubber caps and made a makeshift one out of a plastic hose and a plastic fitting jammed in the end.

Not sure if it worked or not, Dan said his bike ran much better after the TBS even though it was almost right on. Could have been a slight vacuum leak from that fitting all along. Luckily a factory OEM rubber cap was kindly donated by our very own Radman! :clapping:

-They have to be pushed in far enough so you can get them over the bike fittings (cylinder 1-4)
That's what I seem to remember and that's why I put mine in that end. If I recall correctly they were optional depending on the bike. I tried the ZX w/o them first and then ended up sticking them in.

:D

I went to the Motion Pro website, looks like they do not even sell the mercury version anymore (strike 2)
They do, but you have to hunt around a little. I just bought 2 refills of mercury from them a week or so back. They aren't shipping to about 4 states now. That leaves the rest of us working just fine for a while longer.

https://www.mawonline.com/motion_p.htm (i don't recommend MAW because they spam people)

https://tinyurl.com/fkrgf

https://tinyurl.com/k9xkc

https://tinyurl.com/gxjpy

https://tinyurl.com/zx87s

and so on.

They do, but you have to hunt around a little.
I see that many vendors still sell them, but I couldn't find a link on the Motion Pro website itself, did I miss one of your links? I was hoping to snag a copy of the instructions but all I could find was the MSDS sheet for mercury safety.

On a side note, anyone in the San Diego area want a slightly used Motion Pro?

$20

I'm moving to Italy soon and the mercury won't make the trip :(

Ok, so my plan will be to insert the tubes in to the tool and connect the other end of the tubes, which contain the little white thingies, to the TB and to the magic. Needed or not, I'm a guy who likes things that protect me from my own stupidity as long as they dont affect performance/fun. Oh, and sucking mercury in to my engine isn't fun in my book. Touche', smartasses! :)

I think I'll call my local stealer before I start this in case I have to buy a rubber cap. My BMS saddle will be here Tuesday and I'll be PISSED if I can't ride Tuesday night due to my eff-up.

I was hoping to snag a copy of the instructions but all I could find was the MSDS sheet for mercury safety.
I have the instructions in PDF format and I'll gladly email them to anyone that wants them, just PM me and include your email address. I will also send them to anyone that wants to host the doc somewhere so all can see...

I was hoping to snag a copy of the instructions but all I could find was the MSDS sheet for mercury safety.
I have the instructions in PDF format and I'll gladly email them to anyone that wants them, just PM me and include your email address. I will also send them to anyone that wants to host the doc somewhere so all can see...
PDF is posted here:

At WFO this year I was helping Warchild do DocDanDC's FJR and when we lifted the tank, we had a good surprise (Anyone out there have a picture of it?? someone was standing by with a camera) His stealership had lost one of his rubber caps and made a makeshift one out of a plastic hose and a plastic fitting jammed in the end.
Not sure if it worked or not, Dan said his bike ran much better after the TBS even though it was almost right on. Could have been a slight vacuum leak from that fitting all along. Luckily a factory OEM rubber cap was kindly donated by our very own Radman! :clapping:
when I dropped the vacuum caps on my first tbs - Jeff H made a modified piece of tubing - put some silicone in one end and a screw - and fitted it to the throttle body.

Actually works great - I was thinking about selling them. Makes the whole tbs much less of a hassle if all the little caps stuck out about an inch over the top. Easier to grab- easier to see - much harder to drop and if you drop it - it will probably jam on something instead of falling through the engine - and if it doesn't it would still be easier to see and retreive.

Unfortunately - you can make them for oh.... 2¢ a piece - but puchasing some appropriate sized tubing - cutting to preferred length and filling them up with goop or silicone or rtf or whatever.

Chickey, that's an excellent idea...

But all that matters is that Avatar ;)

av-1393.jpg
:clapping:

:yahoo:

I tried finding my Motion Pro instructions but I think they have been recycled (strike 1)I went to the Motion Pro website, looks like they do not even sell the mercury version anymore (strike 2)

My Motion pro is setup like this:

-Holding it vertical (so the mecury doesn't fall out and kill all Californians)

-Mercury at the bottom

-4 ~equal length hoses coming out the top

-At the end of these hoses which connect to each of the cylinder TBS ports you will insert a restrictor into each hose.

-These restrictors is what dampens the vacuum to give you a smoother reading

-No need for any of the 5mm or 6mm adapters, the bare hoses fit right on

In my experience, they really are not even needed (if you are careful with the throttle)

What I mean by careful with the throttle is, when you open it to increase the RPM, DO NOT slam it shut or just let it go closed on spring pressure. Close it SLOWLY by hand, otherwise you will suck mercury from the Motion pro into your engine.

I don't say this to scare you into taking it to your dealer, it is very easy to do, just a word of caution.

Easy on the closing action of the throttle and all will be fine.

From the Morgan Carbtune site, here is their take on restrictors

How to make the dampers

Refer to drawing opposite. In the bag with the adapters you will have received a fine bore thick wall clear plastic tube (No 1). It is about 8cm long x 5mm diameter. With a craft knife cut the thick wall tube into four roughly equal pieces. These are the four restricters (No 2). (For the 2-column the tube is about 4cm long and is cut into 2 pieces.)

Cut about 10cm (4”) off the end of each 1 metre black rubber hose. Push a restricter into the 10cm rubber hose. Now push the remaining 90cm (3ft) rubber hose onto the other side of the restricter (No 3). Do this for each hose.

The length of the rubber hose is not critical. You can make them longer by adding more hose. The restricters need to be about 90cm from the Carbtune. The longer the tube between the restricters and the Carbtune, the more the damping. The shorter, the less the damping.

The restricted part of rubber tube must go towards the engine, not the Carbtune. If the restricters are beside the Carbtune it will not be properly damped. The restricters will reduce fluctuations to acceptable levels for most bikes but some bikes may still give readings that pulsate too much even with the dampers in place. Moving the gauges very slightly off vertical will add some extra friction and damping but make sure the rods are still pulsating slightly or the readings may be affected.

The rods need to pulsate to some degree for the gauge to work properly.

Final word of advice:

When (not if) you lose one of the metal clips that hold the rubber pieces on, don't worry too much, it's not the end of the world. As long as you have the rubber caps over the fitting (being held on by friction and engine vacuum) you will be fine. Replace the metal clip only if you are really anal :)

Always a good idea to have a few spare rubber caps though, they can jump right out of your hand!

Part number: (list price)

895-14169-00-00 (Rubber cap) Cap $2.94 ea

8A7-14139-00-00 (metal clip) Clip, pipe $2.15 ea

Here is the photo requested.

P7290120600x450.jpg

I have found that rubber vac caps from Auto Zone work well and cost a lot less.