Assembly from the crate

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Altinger

Reaction score
Greetings all.

Well, my condo is sold and as soon as I buy another condo and the rest of my money is in the bank, I order a new FJR1300A. YAYAAAAAAYY!!! :)

OKay. I POSSIBLY may be importing one from the US and having it shipped here brand new, still in the crate.

My question is, does anyone know whats completely required to get it roadworthy? I'm assuming it'll require oil, a battery, adjusting the mirrors and I dont know what else.

Thanks!

Altinger,

hmmmm not sure about this with Yamaha, but I don't think a mfg can do that. The problem is that if you put it together wrong, they don't want to be responsible.

I've heard of people trying to buy one in one state (US) and having it shiped in the crate to another state. No mfg would do it, they could lose their license to sell motorcycles.

good luck,

Why would you buy a US bike instead of a Canadian one?

I have known of people buying bikes in the crate, you just need to find a dealer that would do it... they generally won't unless they believe you really know what your doing assembling it.

According to the Yamaha websites the FJR goes for:

Canada: $19,099 CDN

USA: $13,799 USD

The Canadian dollar was trading much lower but now it has gained a lot of strength against the US currency. This means that today according to www.xe.com, the price in the US is $14,724 CDN. Buying a bike in the US saves you over $4000. There will be some taxes but even with import duties one would probably save $2500 to $3000.

I don't know but this may play into his reasoning. Four or five years ago US buyers could get good deals by buying their bikes in Canada. I guess these things ebb and flow. I was told by a dealer in Toronto that the manufacturers frown on them selling bike to take across the border (not that this necessarily stops them).

gypsy

According to the Yamaha websites the FJR goes for:

Canada: $19,099 CDN

USA: $13,799 USD

The Canadian dollar was trading much lower but now it has gained a lot of strength against the US currency. This means that today according to www.xe.com, the price in the US is $14,724 CDN. Buying a bike in the US saves you over $4000. There will be some taxes but even with import duties one would probably save $2500 to $3000.

I don't know but this may play into his reasoning. Four or five years ago US buyers could get good deals by buying their bikes in Canada. I guess these things ebb and flow. I was told by a dealer in Toronto that the manufacturers frown on them selling bike to take across the border (not that this necessarily stops them).

gypsy
Gypsy, There are NO import duties on a US bike, just a $200+Cdn fee to have the bike certified as meeting Canadian regulations, and our GST/HST is applicable only on the Canadian equivalent of the US purchase price. Any Canadian Tire can do the certification. If you have no trade-in, it can be a real $$$ saver, however, the warranty is only available in the US, so that part is a gamble. Some time ago I wrote Yamaha Canada (when our dollar was around 84cents) asking why the big difference in pricing. Their reply was a political masterpiece, said nothing, while occupying a whole page.

At least the front tire is off; just saw it sideways while checking color. But am sure mirrors, front fender, and shield are off as well. Maybe more. I'm going to help dealer swap all panels from an AE to my A '07, so can tell you later what assembly was needed. Oh, and it's a metal crate, which is good. Later.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
Gypsy, There are NO import duties on a US bike, just a $200+Cdn fee to have the bike certified as meeting Canadian regulations, and our GST/HST is applicable only on the Canadian equivalent of the US purchase price.
WOW! My wife wants a Ducati Monster I will have to see what they cost in the US.

Thanks

Latest posts