Audiovox CCS100 Poll - The First!! (but not final!!)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
07A, Only works perfectly if the temp is in the mid 50s maybe in the 40s. If the air temp is above 60 it is flaky and gets worse as the temp goes up. Always works initially for at least 10 miles the lower the temp the longer it works. Multiple diagnostic tests and tricks to bypass work around known problem areas.

And we have the first problem child. Good. rfulcher, your input will be greatly appreciated in this effort.

I'll be posting the next poll in the series either later this week, or possibly this weekend.

If any of you out there are aware of a forum member having a problem, please contact them and get them to post to this poll - again, the more responses, the greater the accuracy.

Many of you have indicated in your posts that you once had a problem and have been able to fix it by a specific action, or you simply improved the operation by addition of a device or component. This is also excellent knowledge, and will certainly benefit the results.

Keep it coming!!

You need to add an option: "Now it works after Smitty provided a check valve." ;)
Now, mine works very nicely, thank you very much!
Gunny. Before the check valve, it took time to engage, and would lose speed going up inclines. Now, my 05A is all good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have an 06A and Smitty installed. After the check valve was installed it worked fine. However, I had a broken wire in the harness under the tank in the main Audiovox harness. Fixed easy enough. Maybe be due to fast blasts thru Death Valley? That harness should be stiffened or secured.

06 and 07 FJRs are the only ones I have heard of with AVCC problems that could not be resolved. I have never heard of a 1st generation bike with this problem.

I am a bit puzzled that I am the only problem child. I know from past posts that others have had the same issue. Maybe they solved the problem but did not post the successful resolution.

06 and 07 FJRs are the only ones I have heard of with AVCC problems that could not be resolved. I have never heard of a 1st generation bike with this problem.
I am a bit puzzled that I am the only problem child. I know from past posts that others have had the same issue. Maybe they solved the problem but did not post the successful resolution.

I'm hoping that more forum members will contribute to this poll - it's only 24 hours old, so I'm crossing my fingers that the collective will participate. I'm doing this to try and get a handle on what's going on - assuming that the numbers support a pattern.

You, Sir, are the only 'problem child' to post so far - based upon some of the past threads, I would expect the percentages to be a wee bit less unbalanced.

All the CCS-100's I've installed have worked flawlessly. On both generations.

Don't leave home without it!!!!

I have installed a couple of them... 03 to 08 FJR's (close to 80) , a few St 1100's and my new KTM. The only ones I have had problems with was in the 06-07 FJR vintage. <_<

I have had enough problems with those years I will not do them anymore.. The failure rate in my shop would be in the 4 out of 10 range...

Smitty

Last edited by a moderator:
07A, Only works perfectly if the temp is in the mid 50s maybe in the 40s. If the air temp is above 60 it is flaky and gets worse as the temp goes up. Always works initially for at least 10 miles the lower the temp the longer it works. Multiple diagnostic tests and tricks to bypass work around known problem areas.
Same here. '06A. Only mine will work flawlessly up to mid 70's lower 80's. After that it gets flaky especially if you've stopped for gas or a break and the under tank heat is allowed to build. Get back on the road and it doesn't want to hold, until you've done a few highway miles to cool down the under tank temp. Above 90 it get bad enough to be a pain. Above 95 and your lucky if it works for long at all, especially if you've been stuck in traffic.

I have installed a couple of them... 03 to 08 FJR's (close to 80) , a few St 1100's and my new KTM. The only ones I have had problems with was in the 06-07 FJR vintage. <_<
Smitty

Smitty, when we get to the more detailed polls, I'm expecting some feedback from you, I look forward to your input !

You have unarguably the largest pool of experience with these units, bar none, and your input may very well target what's going on.

I appreciate your participation. Big Time !!

Same here. '06A. Only mine will work flawlessly up to mid 70's lower 80's. After that it gets flaky especially if you've stopped for gas or a break and the under tank heat is allowed to build. Get back on the road and it doesn't want to hold, until you've done a few highway miles to cool down the under tank temp. Above 90 it get bad enough to be a pain. Above 95 and your lucky if it works for long at all, especially if you've been stuck in traffic.

Inlaw1 - did you vote in the poll? It still shows only one problem unit -

Self installed on a 2005 over 30k miles ago. Its the reason why I've been able to complete a SS1000 and SS2000. Its also the reason why I will not upgrade to a newer year....don't want to go thru the install again.

06 Installed by Smitty (he has done everthing to try to remedy) because mine is one of the flaky ones works for a while in cool weather, the hotter it gets and the faster you ride the less it works.

Almost certainly, a temp related problem with the CCS will be heat related breakdown within the servo itself-in fact the symptoms are classic for electronic breakdown. RFulchers symptoms indicate a replacement of the main unit is in order, diagnostics for something like this are most easily accomplished by replacing with a new or known good unit.

Almost certainly, a temp related problem with the CCS will be heat related breakdown within the servo itself-in fact the symptoms are classic for electronic breakdown. RFulchers symptoms indicate a replacement of the main unit is in order, diagnostics for something like this are most easily accomplished by replacing with a new or known good unit.

Yep, certainly a trend is emerging, eh?

Smitty used his magic on my '06A. With in the first 300m after the install the CC refused to ingage twice. <_< Smitty went through it with a fine tooth comb but couldn't find anything wrong. Put everything back together and I had no problem since, and this was over 15K miles ago. :rolleyes:

The better check valve (from smitty) improved the reaction time a bunch. I'm very happy with the CC... wouldn't leave home without it. :yahoo:

RFulchers symptoms indicate a replacement of the main unit is in order
I used an insulation wrap around my servo that is used on turbochargers. Made no difference. I believe one FJR owner did try replacing the servo and it still exhibited the same problems.

I read one post in a thread way back that the 06 owner had put the servo under the seat (mine is under the tank) and it still did the same thing, indicating heat may not be the problem. That said, I'm certain that heat is the problem in regards to my problems, just not sure EXACTLY what the heat is affecting to cause the problem, whether it's the servo and it's components or wiring or connections. (?)

I used an insulation wrap around my servo that is used on turbochargers. Made no difference. I believe one FJR owner did try replacing the servo and it still exhibited the same problems.
I read one post in a thread way back that the 06 owner had put the servo under the seat (mine is under the tank) and it still did the same thing, indicating heat may not be the problem. That said, I'm certain that heat is the problem in regards to my problems, just not sure EXACTLY what the heat is affecting to cause the problem, whether it's the servo and it's components or wiring or connections. (?)
If an electrical connection, ANY electrical connection, is iffy, warmth will bring out the worst in it. Bad connections don't necessarily need external heat influences to go south-the bad connection itself can build up heat through resistance that quickly destroys what conductivity existed. Add moisture, ambient heat, and vibration, toss in low voltage-amperage flow by design, and you discover why manufacturers have gone pretty much exclusively with weather-pack, locked electrical connections throughout modern vehicles, even those connection/devices usually considered safe from environmentally hazardous conditions.

If anyone has a AVCC system that displays the Gen II blues, and you have totally given up on it and removed the AVCC, ping me. I have a torture bench on which I've been abusing grip heaters and there is an open place for an AVCC. I've got a well equipped electronics lab with a large temperature controlled oven that can simulate a motorcycle road trip. Who knows what we may find!

If anyone has a AVCC system that displays the Gen II blues, and you have totally given up on it and removed the AVCC, ping me. I have a torture bench on which I've been abusing grip heaters and there is an open place for an AVCC. I've got a well equipped electronics lab with a large temperature controlled oven that can simulate a motorcycle road trip. Who knows what we may find!
Consider yourself pinged.

I still have my original "bad" servo. I replaced it with a 2nd. The 1st servo seemed worse than the 2nd. However can't say for sure if the 1st is really worse since when I replaced it with the second one I had not figured the effect of ambient air temp on flakyness. I think I still have the wiring harness and control pad as well.

I replaced one component at a time to try to isolate the problem and ended up with everything replaced and verified. I still had the problem only not as bad.

If you PM me your contact and shipping address I will USPS it to you ASAP. I would love for you to torture this unit, it deserves it.