Avon Storm 3D XM - Mileage Report in last post (Edit)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Final Report:

I paid $287 for front and rear replacement tires through MC Superstore.

I was totally upfront with them on doing a self-change and balance on the replacement tires.

Avon sent me a Rebate check for $173 which worked out to $22.30 for shipping the worn tires to them for inspection and $150 for the unused portion of the 15,000-mile warranty. (15,000-7996 miles I rode on the tires) I think the settlement was more than fair.

I was also told that if i registered the replacement tires they would also qualify for the 15,000-mile warranty on their own, any credit due would be based upon the price I paid for the next set of replacements and the miles I obtained on this set.

Frankly, I'm pleased as punch!

I buy my tires on line and have them mounted by a local bike shop.

Avon sent a cheque similar to Bigjohns experience.

I was at 7000 km.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Avon is honouring their mileage warranty for me. Nice to know that they stand behind their product.

Canadian FJR
Just to double-check the fine print, they only honour the warranty if you have them professionally mounted? And buy them from same dealer?

It's surprising the variation in mileage claims from rider to rider. Makes me wonder if it is the rider, the road or the conditions. My first three pairs of PR 2s were 'meh'. They lasted pretty good but got a flat spot fast in the rear and the front cupped early. When I tried the PR 4s they seemed a littler "grippier" but I reckon this could be as much in my head as anything. Unfortunately, I experienced my first flat ever near new on the back and drove quite some time with low pressure so cannot make a fair comparison to others. The front tire did however wear very weirdly and I don't seem to be the only one that has experienced this. It had a pronounced negative impact on turning.

After getting my suspension completely redone, I went back to PR2s and I think I will likely stay with them. I am 6000 miles in and no cupping, barely imperceptible flat spot and the thread looks near new. At almost 40% less than the 4s with longer treadlife and better feel in the corners, I will likely stay with them. Would like to try the Avons but the wet performance concerns me.
I am in the market for new tires as well. I really like the performance of the PR 4 GTs. I am finishing my third set but am only getting 9K+ from them. I got 15K from three successive sets of PR 2s. I liked them as well. I got 12.5K from a set of PR 3s.

Questions. Do any of you feel, from your experiences, that the addition of the GIVI V56 Maxia4 could be affecting my rear tire tread life? I keep fairly light stuff in it but sometimes heavy stuff. Next, are PR 2s still being currently manufactured? I really don't want old rubber on the bike.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.

I'm still running on my avons. The first 8200 miles were with around 50lbs of camping gear in my givi. I will have to check my mileage but its over 10k miles now on the front and rear with good tread left.

Well for what its worth it looks like i am going to get about the same mileage on my current PR4's as i did the Avon Storm 2 so based on that i will be going back to the Storm 2 as they are significantly cheaper here in NZ and i thought they were not a bad tire. Hell....Iv'e had a lot worse ie Roadsmarts which didn't go the distance at all.

Gazza

Some more numbers for those who care.

6501 miles on rear at well past the wear bars. Centre rubber is starting to peel off in thin slices, close to cords I imagine.

8818 miles on front, very close to wear bars and now handles poorly.

I installed them myself, so I won't be going for a warranty claim. However they did last longer than other tires I've had.

I ended up with over 12k on my rear and changed it for a long trip but it still had a few thousand left. I went ahead and changed the front at around 10-11k due to cupping.

I changed them with roadsmart 2s and at 6k miles the rear center tread is so rounded its affecting handling. Plenty of tread left though... The front is doing good.