Avon Storm 3D XM - Mileage Report in last post (Edit)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a set of the 3D-XM's last year after 3000 miles I had to take them off as I had no confidence in them especially in the rain. Numerous times in the rain they broke loose and once in Milwaukee I came to a stop and they just slid ABS and all. I called Avon and they issued me a full refund but I had to eat the mounting cost. I went back to the PR3's and feel safe again.

I had a set of the 3D-XM's last year after 3000 miles I had to take them off as I had no confidence in them especially in the rain. Numerous times in the rain they broke loose and once in Milwaukee I came to a stop and they just slid ABS and all. I called Avon and they issued me a full refund but I had to eat the mounting cost. I went back to the PR3's and feel safe again.
Different than my experiences

^^^^ Hope my experience lines up with bigjohnsd's. Got brand-spanking new Metzeler Roadtec 01s for NAFO, and have spooled up Avons for the next set.

Anticipate changing them around Thanksgiving to prep for Big Money Rally 2017 and the loads of miles that come with it.

I got mine mounted. The front tire was the easiest ive ever mounted, the rear was a pita. After my trip I should have 5-7000k miles on them,

I changed both the front and the rear tires today. I was quite impressed with the replacement set which required no balance weights front or rear. I've never experienced that before with any tires.

The rear was at and below the wear indicators. The front was about 1/64" before the wear Indicators.

I'm going to submit both tires for the warranty rebate process.

I put 7996 miles on this set of Avon Storm 3 XM tires, better than 1,000 miles more than I got on my Pirelli Angel GTS and almost 2,000 miles more than what I got out of the PR4's that replac ed do the OEM Bridgestone at 4,000 miles.

Even if they fail to honor the warranty I'm happy with the mileage I got on these tires and would buy them again.

New shoes on the Grey Ghost felt pretty good this evening.

bigjohnsd and Canadian FJR report 8,000 miles on their Avons. That probably means 9k-10k for me. Not great, but not bad.

Still got miles to go on the Metzelers.

Working with Avon now on the Mileage Warranty Claim.

Will report results later.

2,000 miles on the replacement set. NAFO was a real good test, they worked well.

"

bigjohnsd and Canadian FJR report 8,000 miles on their Avons. That probably means 9k-10k for me. Not great, but not bad. "

8000 km . Not miles.

I am in the process of trying to get Avon to honour their mileage warranty, seems to be pain.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say I was impressed with the avons. I put 8300 miles on them with my 3 week tour around the country. Just got home yesterday. I had everything from beautiful weather, rainy, 100+ days, 37 degrees in yellowstone. I rode 90mph for hundreds if not thousands of miles on the interstate to 2 passes on the dragon and a lot of north ga and tennessee curves. The tires performed flawlessly. I will upload some pics shortly. I wouldnt hesitate to run them again although I dont see them making 15k miles by any means. I mounted them myself so no warranty unfortunately but these will be the highest mileage tires ive ever run.

I must say I was impressed with the avons. I put 8300 miles on them with my 3 week tour around the country. Just got home yesterday. I had everything from beautiful weather, rainy, 100+ days, 37 degrees in yellowstone. I rode 90mph for hundreds if not thousands of miles on the interstate to 2 passes on the dragon and a lot of north ga and tennessee curves. The tires performed flawlessly. I will upload some pics shortly. I wouldnt hesitate to run them again although I dont see them making 15k miles by any means. I mounted them myself so no warranty unfortunately but these will be the highest mileage tires ive ever run.
If you registered the tires when you first bought them, and replace(d) them with another set of Avons I think you might have a shot at collecting your rebate for theh6,700 miles you didn't get. Print the warranty form out from their website and give them a call.

Thanks for the research and testing, gentlemen.

I was planning to try the Avons next, but I'm interested in high-mileage tires and these aren't going to provide high miles. The warranty thing might provide two sets for a low combo-price, but that's a little too much hassle.

Past:

original Bridgestone BT-023: pretty good; about 10,000 miles

Michelin PR4-GT: excellent, wet and dry, high speed, twisties; about 12,000 miles

Bridgestone BT-30 GT: excellent, wet, dry, high speed (50CC ride was many hours at high speed), and very good twisties; about 12,000 miles

Current:

Metzler Roadtec 01: very good dry and twisties with excellent high-speed manners; a little hesitant in wet (but that could have been me); currently at about 7,000 miles with a good bit left.

Considering a changeover before the 2,100-mile BMRx in late September. Would be smart to have new rubber for the BMRx and almost-new rubber for Hooterville.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't hesitate to run them hud. Especially if you're getting those kind of mileages. My front 23 only made it 6k miles.

Avon is honouring their mileage warranty for me. Nice to know that they stand behind their product.

Canadian FJR
Just to double-check the fine print, they only honour the warranty if you have them professionally mounted? And buy them from same dealer?

It's surprising the variation in mileage claims from rider to rider. Makes me wonder if it is the rider, the road or the conditions. My first three pairs of PR 2s were 'meh'. They lasted pretty good but got a flat spot fast in the rear and the front cupped early. When I tried the PR 4s they seemed a littler "grippier" but I reckon this could be as much in my head as anything. Unfortunately, I experienced my first flat ever near new on the back and drove quite some time with low pressure so cannot make a fair comparison to others. The front tire did however wear very weirdly and I don't seem to be the only one that has experienced this. It had a pronounced negative impact on turning.

After getting my suspension completely redone, I went back to PR2s and I think I will likely stay with them. I am 6000 miles in and no cupping, barely imperceptible flat spot and the thread looks near new. At almost 40% less than the 4s with longer treadlife and better feel in the corners, I will likely stay with them. Would like to try the Avons but the wet performance concerns me.