Avon Storm 3D XM - Mileage Report in last post (Edit)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF anyone every gets the 15,000 miles, it will be a very small number of people and those people will likely not be FJR riders as the FJR is a tire eater ...

When you factor in all of the hassle and costs (dealer work, ship to avon for inspection, etc etc etc), I am sure it will be a very small number of folks that benefit from this ...

The people marketing this aren't dumb and aren't in business to lose money ... I would say that they have done some very specific calculations and are likely very confident that they wont "lose their shirts" ...

Might work for some, wont for most ... The nature of any good "insurance" plan ...

John,

Thanks for the info and for posting this up for everyone's benefit. Certainly wasn't my intent to seem negative and in retrospect I may have come across that way. Never hurts to have new info put forth for those who wish to use it!

Interesting thoughts on this thread - admittedly, I didn't think it all the way through.

Thanks John.

No hard feelings noted here.

I thought some of the same thoughts, just put this out there cause I'm tired of replacing tires at 8k with just the center worn out.

When I started bitching at the Avon, Metzler and Dunlop Reps at coffee a few days ago, the Avon rep stepped up with this info.

I thought about it, I bought the Avon Storms, of which I had great luck with on my Yamah Roadstar Warrior which ate tires, rears, much faster than any FJR due to the tremendous torque.

Anyhow, I bought a set, took 2 oz on rear and 1 pz on front, about the same as my PR 4 and the Darksider on the rear, can't remember the front.

I bought the tires through Renegade Wheels and had them installed by the contract mechanics on the J&P lot. The Avon guy tells me the warranty is good under those circumstances. Guess I'll find out. He claims increased center tread depth, a tighter weave of the belt in the center, a slightly "Taller profile in the center (as a result of increased tread depth?), Medium compound in the center, all leading to increased tread life.

If I get 10,000 I'll be happy.

Will report tread depth measurements periodically as I go through the set.

I thought they stuck pretty good tonight coming home.

This evening I sent the following note to Avon, the reply should be ilIuminating,

I purchased a set of Storm 3 XDM tires for my FJR from one of your representatives working at Renegade Wheels at the Sturgis Rally.

I had the tires installed by the installers working at J&P and Renegade, I have the receipts for both purchase and installation.

I have registered my tires on your warranty registration website.

I then took the time to actually read the online warranty and wonder if I've been misled?

The warranty requires that the tires be purchased and installed from and by a motorcycle dealer.

Does this mean that the Mileage warranty does not apply in my case as the tires were not purchased from a "Motorcycle Dealer" nor were they installed by a "Motorcycle Dealer"

If this is the case, that the 15,000 mile XD Mileage warranty does not apply, I'm going to be quite disappointed as that is the reason I purchased these tires in the first place.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

John Langdell

I'm betting by "Motorcycle Dealer" they simply mean someplace that is recognized as mechanically sound. Like, not in my garage, but Cycle Gear would be fine.

Probably any shop with a business licence will pass the test. If that turns out to be the case, I could get one of those in 15 minutes. Haha...Hell, maybe they do mean dealers only.

Now, I'm wondering, but still think sending the tire back at my cost will be too much of a pain in the ass just to get the prorated cost of the tire.

In the fine print, they do say that they will compensate you the cost of normal (not expedited) shipping when they make any warranty adjustment. So that should not be deal breaker.

For me, having to pay someone to mount and balance it would be. That and they cost more than other tires to begin with. For me it would be spending dollars to save dimes.

Maybe you all are looking at this the wrong way.

The way I see it is this. Avon has made a tire they think will last 15,000 miles. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But the chances are that it will outlast most everything else out there. Buy a set, put them on yourself, and if they only last 13,492 miles, throw them out and put on another set. You're money ahead for having mounted them yourself regardless.

This deal Last time I checked my local dealer wanted $30 each to mount tires, so I've always done my own.

I'm curious what other dealers are charging.

Maybe you all are looking at this the wrong way.
The way I see it is this. Avon has made a tire they think will last 15,000 miles. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But the chances are that it will outlast most everything else out there. Buy a set, put them on yourself, and if they only last 13,492 miles, throw them out and put on another set. You're money ahead for having mounted them yourself regardless.
Agree with that completely. Forget that they have any tread wear warranty and just see if they stand on their own merit.

Looks like you can get an Avon Storm 3D X-M rear for $145 front for $132 at Rocky Mountain ATV or Jake Wilson. Seems like it would be worth a shot at those prices.

This deal Last time I checked my local dealer wanted $30 each to mount tires, so I've always done my own. I'm curious what other dealers are charging.
My local Honda dealer charges $23, wheel off, whether you buy the tire from him or not. That's the bottom line: tax, disposal fee, shop fee, everything except a new valve stem. That's $2 more.

My Yamaha dealer just charged me $100 for front and rear. And I walked In with tires and rims.

Thought it was a bit excessive.

The last time I let a dealer change a tire he charged me $70 to mount and balance it, (just the rear) and I had bought the tire from him because he failed my state inspection.

That is the very definition of excessive. It is what incentivized me to learn to "Do It Yourself". At $140 a set, between doing my own and a few friends, I figure I'm at least $5k to the good by now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets just say that Avon made a tire that they thought would last 12,000 miles - 15,000 under absolutely ideal conditions. So they advertise it for 15,000 miles along with a guarantee. They will probably get some extra sales for those that didn't do the math. How much are they likely to be out based upon their guarantee?

Some people will get the total mileage - no payout.

Most who get anywhere close (13,000+) simply wouldn't bother due to the hassle - no payout.

Of those who send them in, I expect a fair percentage could be denied - under inflation evidence, burnouts, zero chicken strips etc.- no payout.

Of those for whom the claim is honored, it is pro-rated so they give out a credit based upon the amount short of 15,000 miles - maybe 20%.

Here's the real kicker - the "adjustment" can only be applied to the purchase of a new replacement Avon tire, according to the terms! The "cost" to Avon is actually closer to 20% of the actual manufacturing cost. With markups along the way, they STILL make a healthy profit on the tire - "normal" tire discounts from most on-line places already exceed 20%. If tire wear and performance were substandard, you still have to buy a new one to get your rebate. (Who would do that if they were disappointed with longevity?)

In essence, there is NO way that Avon could lose; even if everybody got 20% less mileage than advertised and everyone made a claim. You just get a bunch of people who have bought TWO Avon tires and got a 20% discount on the second one. They may sell a bunch of tires because of their claim. Perhaps they will entice some to switch brands; whether or not they are really longer lasting. Who knows, maybe the tires really are magic and will easily last in excess of the claimed distance?

Avon Tyres Introduces 15,000-Mile Limited Treadwear Warranty For Cobra And Storm 3D X-M15K Mile Warranty

Avon Tyres announced today a new 15,000-mile (24,000-kilometer) limited treadwear warranty program covering the popular Cobra touring and Storm 3D X-M sport touring tire lines.

We develop industry-leading products, and stand behind them with great warranties like the new treadwear warranty program for the Cobra and Storm 3D X-M, said Ken Warner, Vice President of Marketing for Avon Motorcycle Tyres North America.

If the tread wears to the treadwear indicators within the first 15,000 miles of normal use, the company will award a credit adjustment in the form of a prepaid card for the unused mileage. Available on tires purchased in the U.S. and Canada, the warranty covers the tire for a maximum of two years from the date of purchase.

Certain terms and conditions apply. The treadwear warranty applies to the original purchaser only when installed by a retail motorcycle dealership, and registered within 10 days of the original purchase. Incorrect inflation, off-road use, racing, sidecar application, dyno testing and deliberate or malicious damage will invalidate the warranty.

For warranty details, visit https://www.avonmoto.com/mileage-warranty.

I have a set of Pirelli Angel GTs in the garage, but got a great deal on a set of these new Avon Storm 3 XMs in Sturgis.

They are on the Gray Ghost now and I will report how the perform and wear as Festar and I leave for the West Coast next Wednesday. Beartooth, Chief Joseph, Lolo, etc.... Should be a good test. Starting out at 41# Front, 42# Rear.
.Check the weather on Bear Tooth prior to entering. We were there last Monday and it was closed due to snow the night before. Chief Joseph was a great ride. A little cold but in great condition. No cattle drives on highway this time. If you are taking the northern route to WC do the North Cascade Hwy. Oregon has some great rides as well.

Interesting info on the Avons. I have been getting very close to 15K on PR2's on the past two FJR's. On my current 2014ES I have 5K on the PR2's and only 1.5/32 tread wear. Just completed a 3800 mile ride thru NV,UT,CO,SD,WY,ID, and home. Many miles of desert, mountain twisties, and some slab. Temps from 38F to 102F. Expect these will be good for 15K. Running a 190/55 on rear. 39PSI front-42PSI rear.

Hello John ,

Thank you for your purchase and I am sorry you feel misled in some way.

We consider Renegade Wheels a dealer and therefore you have nothing to worry about.

You have registered your tires and we are ready to support you and our product to insure your satisfaction

We hope you enjoy the ride and we appreciate your business.

Now go out and ride. Please keep us posted on your mileage results.

Best regards,

DA,

David Alari

Latin America International Account Manager

Avon Motorcycle Tyres North America

18540 Pasadena St.

Lake Elsinore, CA 92530

800-624-7470 x 3753

www.avonmoto.com

[email protected]

Seems like a reasonable response,

I spoke with Dave at Sturgis this afternoon, he is the rep that sold me the tires, he says

Motorcycle Super Store is also considered a valid Dealer, that the installation must be done by a "qualified" installer, the MC Superstore "Recommended Installers" qualify. My guess is that if you have an invoice for the installation and balancing you are good to go.

Time will tell, glad to have this written response from Avon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could write up my own invoice from "Fearless Freddie's Screen Doors and Motor Sports, Imc."
tonguesmiley.gif