Avon Storm 3D XM - Mileage Report in last post (Edit)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Avon Storms' of old were 'da bomb' (for a time) back in the day, mostly on good handling (if I recall), if the current tire maintains their legendary performance I can't see why they wouldn't be a consideration; the extra mileage could be considered a bonus. I haven't seen anything on this post related to actual handling/even wear/wet performance, etc.

The Avon Storms' of old were 'da bomb' (for a time) back in the day, mostly on good handling (if I recall), if the current tire maintains their legendary performance I can't see why they wouldn't be a consideration; the extra mileage could be considered a bonus. I haven't seen anything on this post related to actual handling/even wear/wet performance, etc.
Well, they have 200 commuter miles on them at this point, 9/32 tread depth rear when installed, two trips down Boulder Canyon at the legal 55 mph limit.

The tires feel round, they are well balanced, they feel much more responsive than the Darksider tire that came off.

Turn in feels good, rode in the wet yesterday evening, no traction issues noted, but, no real test either.

More ne t week after the trip West.

Last edited by a moderator:
Following this thread with interest.

If I understood Avon's response to John, it would appear that the warranty would be honored if tires were purchased online from an authorized Avon dealer, and installed by any Avon authorized tire installer. IOW - I could buy the tire online, and have Cycle Gear install them?

The problem with my previous analysis (post #7 of this thread) is that I've got to ship my old tire to Avon to collect on the warranty. For me to ship a tire is gonna cost no less than $25 bucks and likely more. That's eating into my savings. If I could get Cycle Gear to verify the tread wear for Avon and avoid the shipping, at least that might justify spending the extra $50.00 on buying the replacement tire there.

In the end, Ross and I pretty much fish in the same hole. Rare will be the case where this is as good as it sounds, IMO. Too much fine print. I think my focus now will be to see if (by some miracle), the Avon Storm gets closer to the 15K it claims. John - were you a "PR-X" man at any point on the FJR, and if so, what kind of mileage did you get from those?

Pants, I think you are correct on your purchase online assumption.

You do have to return the tire to Avon for inspection, BUT, Avon reimburses you for the freight.

So there is no loss in savings.

PR-X. I have had one set of PR- 4s, got about 7k on the rear, had pressure related cupping issues on the front.

The 7K were hard miles following FESTAR in the PNW last summer, heat and hard riding may have contributed to their early demise.

My Yamaha dealer just charged me $100 for front and rear. And I walked In with tires and rims.
Thought it was a bit excessive.
I guess he is not looking for repeat business. This is the most I have heard of someone paying. WOW

My local guy does tires for $20 each off the bike. I am sure he would qualify as an installer. The way I see it, the tires are reasonably priced and if you get >10k on them you are already ahead. Especially if you decide to forego the warranty and install them yourself.

Ran up Spearfish Canyon last evening, no Pirates holding up traffic, tires worked really well at double posted corner speeds. Great turn in and feel, good grip under acceleration out of corner.

Ran up Spearfish Canyon last evening, no Pirates holding up traffic, tires worked really well at double posted corner speeds. Great turn in and feel, good grip under acceleration out of corner.
Really interested to see your tire eval: grippiness, handling, turn in of front tire after high mileage, wet performance, and mileage compared to your previous tires. I'll be watching...

Warranties, guarantees, insurance policies... Some bean counter has done the math, to be sure (actuaries). The company will win. That's how they stay in business. The average motorcycle is ridden less than 4,000 miles per year (if memory serves correctly). The warranty is good for two years... What percentage of purchasers would ever be in a position to make a claim? A very small one (some FJR folks, a few BMW riders). A lot of bikes with this rubber will be sold or traded - no claim. Some will be wrecked - no claim. Now factor in what Ross and Pants have been getting at: Avon will face very few claims, relatively in terms of total unit sales, is my bet; so few it will be easy to honor most of them to some token degree. They win: they sell another set of tires at some marginal discount... If, however, they found out they had made some grave miscalculation (their actuaries are better than that) they have left themselves plenty of "outs" in the fine print.

I just put new tires on my truck. I had tires with tread warranties for 50,000 miles. I had 35,000 on them, my dealer knew the drill, what was coming... He gave me a $120 credit toward my next set of ties - no biggy. He and I laughed about this business model; we called it "mileage warranty inflation." My newest tires have a 70,000 mile warranty! No way they're gonna get there and the manufacturers clearly know this; how many folks will trade, sell their cars, wreck them; how many claims will be made, how many honored, how much cost to the manufacturer? A very small percentage cost to use this great new marketing schtick: 70,000 Miles!

The best - very best - I've ever done with a rear is a PR 4 - 7,500 (got 7.000 out of an Angel GT). I would suggest the Avon would be a stellar performer... if I could get it to go 8,500.

Well I'm subscribed to be sure. I'm currently married to the PR2, but a divorce is not out of the realm.

"double the corner posted speeds" is where the FJR tire evaluation really counts for me. JSNS

Best rear tire to date has been the PR4, lasted to 8.5k easily with a little left to go, would have made 9k. Have previously had Avon Storms but each successive "improvement" really didn't pan out so moved on to other brands. If these do 10k I'll be impressed and buying a set.

Did a 210 mile loop today. SPEARFISH, deadwood, Sturgis via boulder Canyon, van ocker Canyon to Nemo, Nemo to Johnson Siding, to Hill City to Keystone via the old road, past Rushmore, South on Needles Highway painfully slow! Across to Custer for lunch at BH Burgers, 16 to Newcastle, 85 to SPEARFISH Canyon, and home.

Spirited ride, FESTAR, Iver and I, no performance awards, Iver on PR3s, Festar on Pirelli Angel GT, me on the Storm3 XDs.

We doubled a lot of corners, 87 degrees most of the afternoon, Avon's never slipped. Ran in Sport mode and hammered the Grey Ghost.Love these tires!

We doubled a lot of corners, 87 degrees most of the afternoon, Avon's never slipped.
You were able to achieve a consistent lean angle of 87 degrees?! Very impressive tires, indeed!
wink.png

Today provided a more extensive test, Slabbed from Spearfish to Buffalo WY, then over the Ten Sleep pass and up to Red Lodge. Ten Sleep provides a great test at higher speeds, Avon's gripped quite well. Very comfortable at turn in and under acceleration out of fast sweepers. Ran in light to moderate rain going down into Ten Sleep but we were penned up behind RVs and Trucks so no real wet performance evaluation is forthcoming. Tomorrow we start out over the Beartooth. Additional evaluation forthcoming. No appreciable wear yet.

Today provided a more extensive test, Slabbed from Spearfish to Buffalo WY, then over the Ten Sleep pass and up to Red Lodge. Ten Sleep provides a great test at higher speeds, Avon's gripped quite well. Very comfortable at turn in and under acceleration out of fast sweepers. Ran in light to moderate rain going down into Ten Sleep but we were penned up behind RVs and Trucks so no real wet performance evaluation is forthcoming. Tomorrow we start out over the Beartooth. Additional evaluation forthcoming. No appreciable wear yet.
By chance did you measure tread depth when new?

Rear tread depth measured at 9/32 when new. Didn't measure the front tire.

Yesterday the Avon's performed magnificently going over the Beartooth. Easily enabling this rider to maintain pace and to overtake numerous Pirates and a group of BMWs. Rode across a very hit Idaho yesterday, they are still looking new, no flat spot!

Home Today, odometer reads 26,870.

4,526 miles on these tires, 5/32" tread remains of 9/32" original on Rear

Slight flat spot on crown both front and rear, still feels good on turn in,

Ten Sleep was a blast today! I have more confidence in these tires than ever.

They grip and they seem to wear good.

IMG_20150909_102611621_HDR_zpsmx6yxzv8.jpg

I have been running 42# F and 42# R, I think I will reduce front to #40 and see if I can reduce the crown wear some. No cupping so far.

IMG_20150909_102629696_HDR_zpshqst3skg.jpg

With 4500+ miles those look pretty good John. Be interested to see how they do from here to end of life...your challenge, wear them out before the snow flies!

Thanks for the update!

--G