awesome in ear speakers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried to put on a pair of Oakley Thump glasses under their helmet? I've never even touched a pair, so I don't know if its even possible, but if you could get them on...Hmmmmmmm.
BTW...I ride with a pair of Koss in-ear speakers that keep out about as much noise as I'm willing to lose and have great sound. Haven't had a problem getting them under my helmet yet, but I am careful when I put it on...
Hey Jackass! You ever think you might just have a fat head?? :lol: Buy a flip face dork boy :p yer prollems will go away.

Sheesh.

:jester:

The $300 for each of us and taking a chance on then working in some fashion with the Cardio Scala is just too risky.
I've got the Bluetooth Cardio Scala rider team set and although we like 90% of it, the speakers just will not stay in place inside the Scorpion helmets, even with industrial extra tacky tape. Although the speakers are 'hard' wired to the Scala unit, I'm looking into substituting them with an inexpensive earplug style for experimentation. I've already bought a set of in-ear-canal types from Costco for about $40 to experiment. My concern is matching the impedance and making a reliable connection. I wonder if anyone else has explored this approach in lieu of the expensive alternatives?

That being said, for the driver is it a good idea to seal out all road noise or does the BE1C allow some noise through?
I have 2 sets of the Scala Q2, In search of better sound, i cut one up to wire some better speakers and it was a hopeless cause for me. the wire is thinner than thread and doesnt seem to be made of metal it seems more like thread material, couldn't figure out how to strip it without it falling apart. I had to buy new helmet/headsets at 40-50.00 each because i couldn't re attach it due to its tiny wires.. I have the cut up one if anyone is interested, I just cut off one speaker- the other is still stock/attached. Anyone with a good microscope and good dexterity may be able to make it work, I couldn't.

TBWRENCH

I bought a pair of BigEars last year at the show in NYC and I just can't wear them. They fit perfectly but I can't comfortably get my helmet on with them inserted so now they hang in their little hard pouch waiting for the day that I buy a new helmet. :glare: Unfortunately there is no way of knowing that this will be a problem prior to buying them. Anybody else have the same issue?
My first real test with the custom ear plug with embedded speakers was on a 2000 mile trip I took over Thanksgiving. They are excellent for sealing out unwanted noise while allowing you to listen to whatever at normal levels. I had several problems though:

1. the wires started pulling out of the ear plug caused by putting on and taking off my helmet

2. my ears started to hurt after an hour of wearing them. It feels fine at first but after that first hour, it hurts with them in, pulling the helmet off, and pulling the plugs out.

I won't use them again for any longer rides as the pain was enough for me to lose concentration on my riding and focus on how my ears felt like they were getting squeezed by pliers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a pair of BigEars last year at the show in NYC and I just can't wear them. They fit perfectly but I can't comfortably get my helmet on with them inserted so now they hang in their little hard pouch waiting for the day that I buy a new helmet. :glare: Unfortunately there is no way of knowing that this will be a problem prior to buying them. Anybody else have the same issue?
My first real test with the custom ear plug with embedded speakers was on a 2000 mile trip I took over Thanksgiving. They are excellent for sealing out unwanted noise while allowing you to listen to whatever at normal levels. I had several problems though:

1. the wires started pulling out of the ear plug caused by putting on and taking off my helmet

2. my ears started to hurt after an hour of wearing them. It feels fine at first but after that first hour, it hurts with them in, pulling the helmet off, and pulling the plugs out.

I won't use them again for any longer rides as the pain was enough for me to lose concentration on my riding and focus on how my ears felt like they were getting squeezed by pliers.

Interesting comments.

Do you think the pain was caused by earspeaker/helmet incompatability or the earspeakers themselves?

Have you tried wearing them for a long period in a situation when you weren't wearing a helmet?

I have the same problem. I bought them this year at the show and they do exactly as you describe. They work ok at work with my headset on but don't stay in place with my motorcycle helmet. Not worth taking a $300 chance for me.

Interesting comments.Do you think the pain was caused by earspeaker/helmet incompatability or the earspeakers themselves?

Have you tried wearing them for a long period in a situation when you weren't wearing a helmet?

I think the issue with my custom earplug/speaker combo is that they seal too well. I believe that the pain originates from having all the bits and pieces of my outer ear "slightly distorted" for an extended period.

The $300 for each of us and taking a chance on then working in some fashion with the Cardio Scala is just too risky.
I've got the Bluetooth Cardio Scala rider team set and although we like 90% of it, the speakers just will not stay in place inside the Scorpion helmets, even with industrial extra tacky tape. Although the speakers are 'hard' wired to the Scala unit, I'm looking into substituting them with an inexpensive earplug style for experimentation. I've already bought a set of in-ear-canal types from Costco for about $40 to experiment. My concern is matching the impedance and making a reliable connection. I wonder if anyone else has explored this approach in lieu of the expensive alternatives?

That being said, for the driver is it a good idea to seal out all road noise or does the BE1C allow some noise through?
I have 2 sets of the Scala Q2, In search of better sound, i cut one up to wire some better speakers and it was a hopeless cause for me. the wire is thinner than thread and doesnt seem to be made of metal it seems more like thread material, couldn't figure out how to strip it without it falling apart. I had to buy new helmet/headsets at 40-50.00 each because i couldn't re attach it due to its tiny wires.. I have the cut up one if anyone is interested, I just cut off one speaker- the other is still stock/attached. Anyone with a good microscope and good dexterity may be able to make it work, I couldn't.

TBWRENCH

I have seen the type of wire you are talking about. It's very difficult to work with since the mass is so minimal. I actually think that it might be copper-impregnated cotton. Thanks for the heads up. I suspect that the only way to have a chance would be to disassemble each SCALA transceiver and solder the earphone's wires directly to the pads inside. That is probably just as futile. This is not what I wanted to do but I've got to try something. My wife is fed up with the tape pulling her hair out everytime she takes the helmet off and the speakers sliding around. You know how critical it is for the speaker to aim at the exact center of the ear canal. <_< PM sent

I have a pair of Big Ear regular plugs for $60.00 but $300.00 for speakers was a bit high for my budget, I found some Shure 210 on E-Bay for $100.00 and they work great, they are expandable foam plugs to seal the outside noise so you can hear the speakers great, they also have a short cord to plug into my Autocom aux helmet cord so I don't have a bunch of wires to deal with.

Marcus

I also have a Cardo Scaler for bluetooth, with the addition of these babies which sound good, are paper thin wafer speakers, and only $35

https://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_inf...roducts_id=4987

whitepress also has lots of good stuff for sale - Cardo, Ram, Powerlet, etc.

https://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=IMC%2DHS%2D200U

same with sierra electronics

consider an amp - IMC MAP20 rechargeable $65 - good for 6-8 hours and puts out 2 watts which will hurt your ears at full throttle

also Radio Shack sells a AA battery operated lesser watts unit for $30

I have both and use the MAP20 for day or short rides and the Radio Shack for touring which is good for a week and can pack spare batterys

Just my 1.5 cents

Hope this helps someone

Merry Christmas,

Mike in Nawlins'

Been using in-ear monitors for several years. My big test with them was during the 03 IBR. No problems with helmet clearance for me.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/acc/ear/ear.html

Ear plugs that SAVE your hearing. If I wanted to hear music (or cb) with foam ear plugs, I ended up cranking up the volume to crazy loud levels. When I started using ear monitors, I found I could turn down most items to their lowest levels and still hear them better than in the past.

Hi guys, my dad just update Parrot MK6100 BT hands-Free car kit on accessorygeeks.com. My car have entertainment system that it's very convenient I love it so much. Digital Signal Processing is a speciality of Parrot. The Parrot MK6100 integrates new and particularly effective software of noise reduction, Parrot Beamforming Technology. Unexpected noises in the car environment are numerous and can become awkward for you and your callers. Parrot Beamforming Technology and the two built-in microphones act as two human ears: they eliminate all the noises other than the voice range. The device is a music playing hands-free car kit: play your favourite MP3 files on the car’s speakers from any Bluetooth Stereo (A2DP) source: mobile phone, MP3 player… Once paired, the music player connects automatically to the MK6100. Press PLAY on the kit’s remote control to start reading the MP3s and benefit from the digital amplifier which transforms your car into a true concert hall!

Take a look at these: https://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx
35db and up noise reduction.
I do not believe their claims of 35 dB attenuation. That is a serious amount. I've never seen even a regular an earplug with silicone seals get anywhere close to that.

But I guess they figure that you can't prove them wrong. They call that specsmanship...

YMMV

Hi guys, my dad just update Parrot MK6100 BT hands-Free car kit on accessorygeeks.com. My car have entertainment system that it's very convenient I love it so much. Digital Signal Processing is a speciality of Parrot. The Parrot MK6100 integrates new and particularly effective software of noise reduction, Parrot Beamforming Technology. Unexpected noises in the car environment are numerous and can become awkward for you and your callers. Parrot Beamforming Technology and the two built-in microphones act as two human ears: they eliminate all the noises other than the voice range. The device is a music playing hands-free car kit: play your favourite MP3 files on the car’s speakers from any Bluetooth Stereo (A2DP) source: mobile phone, MP3 player… Once paired, the music player connects automatically to the MK6100. Press PLAY on the kit’s remote control to start reading the MP3s and benefit from the digital amplifier which transforms your car into a true concert hall!
yet another resurection of an old post for you to advertise for accessorygeeks.com. go away troll.

Love Roy

See this post for additional perspective. clicky

S Plugs rock! Use 'em with an i-jet for bluetooth control of the ipod. Good sound, very convenient, and good in-ear fit under helmet. ;)

I have the Westone UM1's, and the opposite problem with molded in ears. The molded in ears I've tried are uncomforatable to me over 30-45 minutes under the helmet. The Westones "foamies" do no interfer with my helmet or shades at all.

You should dump those UM2's. I'll pay shipping, and already have a bunch of spare foamies! :rolleyes:

The Etymotics really do reduce the ambient noise substantially. Too many years of guns, aircraft engines, and wind noise have noticeably damaged my hearing. Without a tight fitting earbud I have to turn the ipod all the way up and run it through a mix-it amplifier. Problem is, that damages the hearing more because of the sustained high volume level on top of the wind noise. I wear earplugs for any ride longer than about 15 minutes anyway.

The Er-6 (about $120 +/-) keeps the wind noise way down, which allows me to turn the volume down, which allows me to hear enough outside the helmet to remain aware. Not perfect, cause the silicone waffles hurt after three or four hours, or a few days worth of riding. I have ripped them out while taking off the helmet, but it's the best thing I have found in my price range. And the customer service is good if you have a malfunction.

Just my $.02

I have been using a pair of ER-6i's for 18 months. They work very well with one stipulation - I can only get a good fit with the foam inserts and not the soft silicone inserts. Unfortunately, the foam inserts only last me 15-20 hours of ride time, and I spend 2 hours a day commuting, so I have to buy new foam inserts on a regular basis.

This is a bit of a PITA, so I have purchased a set of Big Ears. Unfortunately, I had a 'forced dismount at speed' during a mountain bike race, and am a bit busted up, so I haven't been able to do a road test (one hand in cast). I'll post results after I can ride again. If they work well I'll be selling the ER-6i's (with lots of foam inserts!).

I ordered them from the web site, and one of their sales guys did the impressions for me at his apartment. The advertise 6 weeks to deliver but it was actually more like 10 weeks.

UM2s from Westone with Shure triple flange sleeves (slight cut required on the tube).

The only thing better out there as far as I can tell are their new Westone 3s - though those are classified for 'personal use' as opposed to the UM series being for 'pro' applications.

I find the W3s to be slightly less colored than the UM2, but I still prefer the 2's for smoothness.

Let's get fair - on a bike and driven by the inherently flawed MP3 or other digitized music sources we operate in that high ambient environment, on the bike we can't tell all that much difference between headphones - comfort and isolation are primary and the quality is secondary.

However when listening during quiet times, the quality takes to the fore - and I listen with the UM2s or alternatively with a set of Stax headphones if I'm in the mood to not mind the full size drivers and headband - now THOSE are smoooooooth.