Back to the FJR, Again, From the Super Ténéré?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBound

Reaction score
After a year and a half (and 16k miles) aboard a Super Ténéré ES, I have the FJRlust again.

I owned a 2010 FJR I bought used in 2014 prior to the Ténéré. It was not a happy experience. Regardless of the suspension adjustments I made, I could not get a decent ride out of the bike. It could only be described as "harsh." Faced with the cost of installing an MCCruise, I bailed. After five months of ownership, I traded it in on the Ténéré.

Now, I came to the 2010 FJR following 13k miles on a 2012 V-Strom 1000 bought new in 2013, so I was used to the benefits of longer-travel suspension. The V-Strom rode well, and handled very well. (Not that it didn't have its faults.)

Why the lust, then? The Ténéré is faultless. Reliable, superbly comfortable, handles very well, nice plush ride. But I have always been an inline-four guy. And while I continually tell myself that "looks don't matter," sometimes, they do. I've always bought bikes using my head, rather than my heart. The Gen-III FJR appeals to both. (And the Ténéré is a bit tall for my inseam.)

In retrospect, I've wondered whether my 2010 FJR had been modified by a previous owner. I'm 160 pounds; maybe a previous, 250-pound owner jacked-up the spring rates? Maybe a new FJR (particularly the ES model) wouldn't be so harsh going over rough pavement? I wonder. Part of me doubts this "previous owner" theory, however, as I was able to achieve appropriate sag measurements with my 2010.

So I think the next thing I must do is to ride a bone-stock, late-model (preferably ES) FJR. Are there any members in the Denver area who would like to go for a nice, hour-or-two ride on my Ténéré?
smile.png

I went from a 12 tenere to a 10 FJR. There Tenere was great when I lived out in the pacific northwest and regularly visited the mountains with forest service roads, but after moving to to Minnesota, and 8500 miles of almost exclusively super slab, the Tenere left a lot to be desired. I wanted something "quick" and good for the long haul, so I started eyeing Sport Tours and eventually traded the Tenere for the FJR. Since then I installed the Rostra Cruise, and haven't looked back. I commute via motorcycle so I often ride 4 or 5 times a week. I can see myself getting a later model FJR someday.

So potentially welcome back!!

Difficult to say whether your issues were caused by a modified suspension - did you try anything with adjustments. A low(er)-cost solution would have been aftermarket suspension if you determined that it couldn't be adjusted to your liking. The Best solution is to get a 2014+ ES with the electronically adjustable suspension!

I went from a 12 tenere to a 10 FJR. There Tenere was great when I lived out in the pacific northwest and regularly visited the mountains with forest service roads, but after moving to to Minnesota, and 8500 miles of almost exclusively super slab, the Tenere left a lot to be desired. I wanted something "quick" and good for the long haul, so I started eyeing Sport Tours and eventually traded the Tenere for the FJR. Since then I installed the Rostra Cruise, and haven't looked back. I commute via motorcycle so I often ride 4 or 5 times a week. I can see myself getting a later model FJR someday.
Potentially, thank you!

Difficult to say whether your issues were caused by a modified suspension - did you try anything with adjustments. A low(er)-cost solution would have been aftermarket suspension if you determined that it couldn't be adjusted to your liking. The Best solution is to get a 2014+ ES with the electronically adjustable suspension!
That may be the solution, but I want to get a solid sense of what I'd be buying before making the change. Ultimately, I may just prefer the Ténéré's long-travel suspension to the FJR's delicious engine.

Potentially, thank you!

That may be the solution, but I want to get a solid sense of what I'd be buying before making the change. Ultimately, I may just prefer the Ténéré's long-travel suspension to the FJR's delicious engine.
Good luck making your decision. Sounds like you're still in the midst of it. I have a GEN3 and adjust mine in minutes with a screw driver. It adjusts just fine...and can be VERY soft. However, I like more control in the curves right outside my house, so I keep it on the firm side. Not harsh to me at all.

Why not both
bike.gif

I like the tenere for around town riding and the FJR for longer trips, they both have their roles. That being said, if I were to keep one... hrrm, I guess it would be the tenere, it can do all the that the FJR can do and then a little more.

Good luck making your decision. Sounds like you're still in the midst of it. I have a GEN3 and adjust mine in minutes with a screw driver. It adjusts just fine...and can be VERY soft. However, I like more control in the curves right outside my house, so I keep it on the firm side. Not harsh to me at all.
I've really grown to like the ES on my Ténéré, since the wife joins me about half the time. Pushing a button > twidling a screwdriver.

Why not both
bike.gif

I like the tenere for around town riding and the FJR for longer trips, they both have their roles. That being said, if I were to keep one... hrrm, I guess it would be the tenere, it can do all the that the FJR can do and then a little more.
Don't I wish. Finances preclude two 'spensive moto-bikes in the garage.

I just replaced a 2014 Super Tenere ES with a 2015 FJR1300A and I can tell you that the FJR with the stock suspension settings is easier over bumps than the Tenere was with the suspension set to Soft -3 on the same stretch of road.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="brazos609" data-cid="1334799" data-time="1472864127"><p>

I just replaced a 2014 Super Tenere ES with a 2015 FJR1300A and I can tell you that the FJR with the stock suspension settings is easier over bumps than the Tenere was with the suspension set to Soft -3 on the same stretch of road.</p></blockquote>

Thats pretty much what I was hoping to hear. Now I just need to find a way to ride one and prove it to myself...

I was going to recommend eaglerider but I just checked their rental fleet online and they don't have an FJR in CO.

I like the idea of both as each brings a completely different riding experience depending the what you want. Both my Tenere and FJR are set up on the firm side, with the Tenere getting the nod to ride quality simply due to the long travel suspension.

IMO, you'll find the ES is sprung pretty taut, especially in your [light]weight class. Definitely find one to ride as you might be surprised.

Good luck!

--G

I am going against the majority on the ride quality advantages of long travel suspension....there is NO advantage at all unless the surface being traveled on is so rough that shorter travel suspension would bottom. I have owned 4 FJRs and every one of them, even with OEM suspension, had a higher ride quality than my S10 on any decent paved surface... and the S10 has a Penske shock and lighter straight rate fork springs. Some may prefer the S10s sitting position and long leg room but the actual ride quality is not as good as a FJR, nor does the S10 perform as well at higher speeds or in windy conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going against the majority on the ride quality advantages of long travel suspension....there is NO advantage at all unless the surface being traveled on is so rough that shorter travel suspension would bottom. I have owned 4 FJRs and every one of them, even with OEM suspension, had a higher ride quality than my S10 on any decent paved surface... and the S10 has a Penske shock and lighter straight rate fork springs. Some may prefer the S10s sitting position and long leg room but the actual ride quality is not as good as a FJR, nor does the S10 perform as well at higher speeds or in windy conditions.
Theoretically, I agree with you (about the ride quality advantages of long-travel suspension).

One thing, though. Your S-10 was not the ES model. The S-10's ES suspension is magic. I've never experienced a better combination of competence in the twisties and smoothness and compliance over broken pavement.

I've posted over at the yamahasupertenere forum in the hopes of finding a Gen-III FJR owner who would be interested in taking an hour-or-two ride on an ES S-10 (with me tagging along on his FJR). Fingers crossed...

Why not both
bike.gif

I test rode a Tenere, albeit only on tarmac, last weekend at the Horizons Unlimited event in Mariposa. Nice bike, comfortable, very easy to aggressively throw in to corners, make tight turns, etc. It felt like I'd been riding it my whole life.

However, it differs significantly from the FJR in terms of grunt. The FJR is a rocket ship, and the Tenere is a tractor. I've heard that an ECU flash wakes up the Tenere, but the FJR would probably still win the twist and go contest by a mile. Speaking of which, there's a section on 140 that provides unobstructed visibility for ~3 miles....the gps showed about 10mph below the max before I needed to lift.

Oh, I know about the FJR'S grunt. Probably more grunt than can really be put to use very often in this country. For me it's the character of that engine. It's not very much smoother than the Ténéré in my experience, but the FJR conveys a sense of sophistication that the Ténéré never will.