Bad wheel bearings?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clubber

Reaction score
I've got an '07 that makes a whirring sound when cornering. It happens at any speed over 30mph at any engine speed and even when the clutch is pulled in. Anybody had this problem? or can you think of anything else it might be besides wheel bearings? Any help is appreciated.

I'll bet that if you ever so slightly touch your front brake lever the noise will stop. Bearings tend to click. Slotted brake rotors tend to whir. High tech noise library 101 :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a cupped tire. Run you hand over the tread and see if the tire is wearing in a stepped fashion. I have had my Bridgestone 020's and my Pilot Roads cup and produce the effect you describe.

Cool, I'll try both things and see. It seems like the cupped tire could be it because the front is almost worn out and after a 2k mile trip last week, it's noticably worse.

My PR2's do it to. Original PR's howled so loud I thought my rear end was BMW'ing.

My original Metzelers made a similar noise when the bike was leaned and my new PR2's do the same. I am not too worried about it, unless someone comes up with something to scare me with. Go ahead.

I have an 05 that does the same thing. Originally I thought it was the wheel bearings too but when I removed the wheels (to replace the tires) the bearings checked out fine. It's made this noise/feel from day one on each set of tires. It must not be a problem because I've got 36,000 miles on it without any problems. Maybe it is the brakes and rotors???

I'd say take a look at the tires as well. Tires (especially the front) will make sounds and sensations that would leed you to think something is just about to blow up or fall off!