Bags...?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you ride with your hard bags on

• 100% never take them off.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • More on than off.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Only on long trips.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • My bags have never seen the sun.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
I always keep my bright neon yellow vest (for rain), wet weather gloves, and bike cover in the left bag. I keep my change of work clothes/lunch/helmet and gloves (while I'm in work) in the right bag.

Part of the reason I got the Feej was so I wouldn't have to wear a backpack when I ride, so I keep the bags on 100% of the time. I think I've only taken them off once to see what it's like to ride without 'em when I bought the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have them on most of the time as they are just the right size for a 12 pack of Bud or other essential groceries.

I've only ridden without them maybe four times in 2 years. Consensus seems to be that baggers are less likely to attract LEO's.

I only have my side bags on five days week as I carry my briefcase and misc. office stuff to work, and I only have them on every weekend when we go for rides, 'cuse my wife can't pack light :blink:

They do seem to impart some LEO invisibility factor. Also, you can never tell when the impulse may strike, making it necessary to carry something home.

I do take them off for track days and at the drag strip.

So far, all the time. New bike for me and I've never had storage before. Just knowing I can put stuff in there is still novel. I def like the way the bike looks better with out them but still can't get past the newness of having the storage space.

I am curious how most of you ride the majority of the time.
khrome

I have ridden only a handful of times without the bags. I'm finding that I prefer the loosk of ALL THREE bags on when I ride. Am I getting old?
Yes.

But it beats the alternative. :p

Rancho
I commute to work daily so I need them for my laptop, lunch and backpack. If I go shopping i can put the backpack on my back and then carry that 12 pack of beer home. If my 20 year old daughter rides with me she insists they must come off. If I go riding with my daughters sport bike boyfriend (CBR600), I take them off. That sport bike guy is impressed with just how fast the big FJR is.

The only time the bags come off is when I wash the bike.

that make four times in two years. :D

Tim

Thrashed and trashed the bags August 2004. Haven't finished replacing them yet, so it's been soft luggage for three years... <_<

They're only really needed for the longer commutes (say for a week-long getaway to Florida, or something). Helps when you've got a place to lock stuff.

The bike does get better mileage (and still looks good doing it) without the bags. Handles better, too IMHO.

looks like a did a pretty good job a putting the answers in the right order as how i figured the responses would be.

khrome

Daily commuter so I need to haul lunch, work, rain gear. I have removed them for the occasional weekend day-run and have noticed a marked difference in handling.

Craig

To me, without the bags on, the FJR isn't exactly going to make other riders bow down or women swoon. It's not ugly, but it's not a stunner with or without them. I figure leave the bags on for their usefullness, and let it be respected for what it is by those who can appreciate it. It's a relatively handsome looking sport tourer, I just let it be what it is.

I can feel the pain already . . . . but I have to ask . . .

WTF is a LEO?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the only other time the bags are off my bike is when I'm not going to ride it for a few days i.e. away for the weekend. (yes, I know I should be away on the bike ^_^ )

Latest posts