Barber Motorsports Vintagefest Oct 7-9,2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dan. Me and the Missus are going there......in a RV as part of our introduction to the American way of seeing some other parts of the country!

Can't get her to ride with me so this will have to do.

You going?

Steve, remember, she knows the way you drive in that BMW 'coo-pay' of yours...no wonder she's scared! :rolleyes:

Where did you end up getting the RV from, and are you taking the Matchless? Has all the makings of a great time, enjoy mi amigo!

Hi Dan. Me and the Missus are going there......in a RV as part of our introduction to the American way of seeing some other parts of the country! Can't get her to ride with me so this will have to do. You going?
Awesome Steve!

Yes, I am going. I purchased my tickets the day they went on sale. You have to jump quick sometimes to get a camping spot.

I am in Lot B which is the Tent area.

Did you guys get a camping spot in Barber?

You could bring the Matchless to ride around the perimeter road. Lots of old bikes running around. However you don't really have to have a bike. There is a free tram that runs around all day. I never move my FJR once I get there. The FJR is not exactly a friendly bike to park on grassy sloped parking areas.

That is my camp from last year. Shouldn't look much different.

barbercampsite-XL.jpg

Dan, are you going on your own? We could arrange to meet up some time. We will be staying in a rented rv at a camp in Pelham.

Would have loved to bring the Matchless, maybe another time. Intend to find the owners club stall and introduce myself!

Yes, so far it's just me. Tina's tent camping days are mostly over. She likes having the trailer along.

So she lets this be my trip.

Looks like Hurricane Mathew is going to cause me problems. I am supposed to leave in the morning. However, my house is just west of the hurricanes predicted course. We will probably at the very least get tropical storm force winds.

Wednesday is too early to tell where the hurricane is heading exactly.

Thursday the weather will probably be too bad to ride.

Friday is too late.

I am not in a good mood this morning.

Been waiting all year for this trip.

Yeah Dan, just saw this morning, that the projected track has been moved further west, along Florida. It makes it a tough decision. :sadsmiley02:

Talked my wife into going.

So I am going.

Going to button up the house with hurricane shutters tonight. Hit the road in the morning.

The house will be there when I get back ..........or it wont.

I'm going. I will be trying to park close to the MX in the NE corner. I'd like to find and meet rtwdoug from the advrider forum. I've admired his exploits from afar for several years now. I've never been, and have a place to stay off site.

Great news Dan. We are leaving the rv at the camp about 40 mins away and renting a car and will be parking in lot D I think at the park. We four we can hook up for sure, safe drive.

Rob, you and Marie's trip sounds great. Was following your progress on Spotwalla, you sure got around! Glad you're both home safe, we'll hook up after our trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we are on Plan B now.

Decide to cancel on Barber. We think travel up through Florida will just be too difficult. Might be too many people evacuating.

So we are staying put. I have a safe home.

I hate missing Barber, but probably best not to be on the road right now.

The good thing is I have a week of vacation left and get to plan another trip for this year.

I'm going. I will be trying to park close to the MX in the NE corner. I'd like to find and meet rtwdoug from the advrider forum. I've admired his exploits from afar for several years now. I've never been, and have a place to stay off site.
I met rtwdoug and Polly a year or so ago at a Florida event. They are good people. Very friendly and open.

Decide to cancel on Barber. We think travel up through Florida will just be too difficult. Might be too many people evacuating.

The good thing is I have a week of vacation left and get to plan another trip for this year.
Probably the most prudent choice, Dan. Hope you both stay safe.
Does this mean that you both might make AIMExpo?

Dan, we made it up without too much traffic from Tampa (traffic was the least of our problems......a long story, 11 hour drive!), but your issue would've been getting up to Tampa level I'm guessing?

Barber is an awesome place, so glad we came, going back tomorrow.

Sorry we couldn't meet here. Hope you both stayed safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been having a great time at the event for the last two days. Unbelievable amount of bikes around, on display or just ridden in by owners attending. It is huge, so much to see. And then there's the vintage bike racing!

Wandered around the 'swap meet' (auto jumble) and saw so much Brit stuff and Brit bikes in all conditions on sale. Met other Brits, spoke with the North American AJS and Matchless owners club people, marveled at umpteen Matchless, AJS, Velocette, Triumph, Norton, BSA etc bikes on offer.

Oh, and the museum.....must have every iteration of every bike ever built and cars too :eek: :)

Will try and post some pics soon, when I come down to earth (ground!)

Steve

I knew you would like it. Barber is a class operation. They do things right.

I hated missing it.

I am not really anti Harley, but it's really nice to go to an event with that many kinds of bikes represented. I find when going to bike events in Florida it's about 90% Harley. At Barber you see museum quality bikes just riding around.

Bikes like this are parked next to your tent.

barberindian-L.jpg

Actually we have a scheduling conflict for AIMExpo. We have reservations in the Keys Sun-Wed. Hopefully storms don't mess that up.

If I get everything done this week there is a SLIGHT chance I might try to run up there Saturday.

Can I just buy a ticket at the door?

Actually we have a scheduling conflict for AIMExpo. We have reservations in the Keys Sun-Wed. Hopefully storms don't mess that up.

If I get everything done this week there is a SLIGHT chance I might try to run up there Saturday.

Can I just buy a ticket at the door?
Jim has some, as he cant go https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/168713-aimexpo-2016/page-2