Batt drain

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRay

Reaction score
I have a BMW in the shop that slowly drains the batt. Not uncommon from what I hear. I'm showing 6.38 mA on a fluke meter. I can reduce but not eliminate the draw by pulling fuzes and there is nothing hardwired to the battery. Any thoughts on what acceptable draw would be. If it sits for a month It won't spin enough to start.

The fix on the Bring More Wallet forums is a battery tender.

Obligatory FJR for content.
smile.png

What is the battery capacity for that thing? The FJR's 12 ampere-hour battery would be about 50% drained in a month at that draw - at least when new.

Hard to find these things other than by what you did (pulling fuses). If all else fails, put a master cut-off switch between the negative terminal of the battery and the frame ground. Less fuss than using a battery tender all the time. Just have to reset the clock (if it has one).

Ray-
Did you pull all fuses including the one to the alternator? Alternator bridge diodes love to leak a little bit after several years.
I pulled all the fuses one at a time. Two of them changed the draw by about 2mA but none of them eliminated it. The owner is wanting to sell the bike so I'm probably at the end of diagnostics.

Looking around on the web it appears anything less than 50mA is acceptable in the auto world.

This has a 17AH battery

Im thinking 7ma is pretty normal for a modern bike. Not sure what type of Beemer we are talking about here, but that seems like a wimpy battery

Im thinking 7ma is pretty normal for a modern bike. Not sure what type of Beemer we are talking about here, but that seems like a wimpy battery
It's a 04 R1150RS. I agree it is probably a battery issue but the owner says this is the second battery in a year. I am going to fix the fuel leak and give it back to the owner. He just wants to sell it anyway.

The FJR is quite a bit less than 7 ma. Mcatrophy measured his 2014 at < 10 µa!

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/160097-fjr-ignition-current-draw/

If the draw on the battery @ 6+ ma kills it in less than a month then the battery capacity is about a third of the specified 17 aH capacity. Reserve capacity drops as the battery ages and this may have been hurried along by letting it go flat a few times - very bad for AGM.

It's a 04 R1150RS. I agree it is probably a battery issue but the owner says this is the second battery in a year. I am going to fix the fuel leak and give it back to the owner. He just wants to sell it anyway.
Ya know, when I had me a Bring Mor Wallet, I just wanted to sell it too!
biggrin.png

I'm reading this w/ interest cuz I went to start my FZ6 yesterday 'n the battery was dead. It's a 5 month old Shorai that worked fine, but I installed a PC fuel controller few weeks back 'n am wondering if that has anything to do w/ it? Gonna have to look for a parasite myself, cuz I don't plan on selling it anytime soon. ;)