Being Seen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, when you guys are down at the "Southernmost Point" you're about 30 miles from my home, Big Pine, home of the tiny Key Deer.
I have met some of those darn rats up and TOO close

for comfort. They let you slip into town and just when you think you are clear- they rush out to introduce themselves.

I have some reflective tape on the rear of my bike but the vast majority of motorcycle accidents happen at the front of a motorcycle, either from an error by the rider or another motorist pulling out in front of you.

I added some signal dynamic products to the front and rear of my FJ and they have made a significant difference in my visibility on the road. Check out the video in my review below and notice the difference between having the headlight modulator on and not having it on.

The modulator only works during the daylight, but since 95% of my riding is during the day it works like a charm.

Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator Review

Worth checking in to if you want more visibility!

Thanks for the compliments guys :thumbsupsmiley:

That has to be one of the best uses for the black fairing kit. I have them on my 07, but they look better on the black bikes!

I use Alex's Real Time Industries black reflective stripes on the fairing and side / back of the bags. Lights things up at night and adds some "color" to the 09's plain black canvas.

FinalProduct2.jpg

--G

I use Alex's Real Time Industries black reflective stripes on the fairing and side / back of the bags. Lights things up at night and adds some "color" to the 09's plain black canvas.

FinalProduct2.jpg

--G

Likewise, I used this decal set, plus the one for the OEM top box, this together with my high vis jacket and helmet makes me come a long like a darn light bulb, hoping them cages can't use the excuse.... Oh I didn't see you!........ Well hope dies last, been al,out ran over the other day, as a gal didn't give a damn that is was coming along.

This is a farkle I skip......90% of cycle wrecks are left turns in front of you. As for being seen at night this literally just makes it easier for the drunks to find you. I don't know how many cop cars have been rammed at night with their lights flashing by the DUI crowd. Both times I've been rear-ended were in broad daylight and sunshine, and that didn't seem to help. YMMV of course.

I made a slight effort to find a U tube of a European PD all decked out in Hi-Viz yellow with cycle lights flashing, pulled out along a freeway to move traffic over a lane and getting creamed by some dingbat. He literally launched into the air over the car, but I guess he lived. By all means if it makes you feel safe load that bike up with tape......just be aware it might be a false sense of security. I build open space around me.....if there's no cars they can't ram you.......and I religiously stay out of blind spots......go like a bandit on the freeway but put it in granny gear around town.........now flame away!..........lol

This is a farkle I skip......90% of cycle wrecks are left turns in front of you. As for being seen at night this literally just makes it easier for the drunks to find you. I don't know how many cop cars have been rammed at night with their lights flashing by the DUI crowd. Both times I've been rear-ended were in broad daylight and sunshine, and that didn't seem to help. YMMV of course.

I made a slight effort to find a U tube of a European PD all decked out in Hi-Viz yellow with cycle lights flashing, pulled out along a freeway to move traffic over a lane and getting creamed by some dingbat. He literally launched into the air over the car, but I guess he lived. By all means if it makes you feel safe load that bike up with tape......just be aware it might be a false sense of security. I build open space around me.....if there's no cars they can't ram you.......and I religiously stay out of blind spots......go like a bandit on the freeway but put it in granny gear around town.........now flame away!..........lol
Well there shouldn't be any doubt in anyone's mind that drunks, texting drivers, etc etc may not see you no matters what...

But to come to the conclusion because of this you should just quit trying to be seen?

Sorry, no, bad choice imho.

Any idea how much the flashing headlight thingy reduces lamp life? Otherwise, it seems like a great idea. (I rode with brights on during the daytime. Good? Bad?)

Interesting to see the brake light flasher. That's a technique I was taught years ago: when you can, pump your brake lever lightly a few times to wake up the person behind you, then apply for real. Don't know if it really works, but it makes me feel better.

Any idea how much the flashing headlight thingy reduces lamp life? Otherwise, it seems like a great idea. (I rode with brights on during the daytime. Good? Bad?)

Interesting to see the brake light flasher. That's a technique I was taught years ago: when you can, pump your brake lever lightly a few times to wake up the person behind you, then apply for real. Don't know if it really works, but it makes me feel better.
Rather than try to flash them yourself, I'd suggest Hyper Lites.

They are pretty inexpensive and install is pretty easy too.

My understanding is that the headlight modulators don't reduce bulb life. They actually modulate from about 80% power to 20% power (or something around there). It's not an actual constant on / off, which would be bad on the bulb.

These numbers are different for Friday and Saturday nights, and some holidays, but most times, about 3% of the driving population is impaired. This means that for 3% of the population you think you may attract, you are disregarding the other 97% that should have an appropriate response.

Also...The belief that drunks are attracted to anything they can see, like reflective tape is incorrect. It is the flashing lights that gets their attention and causes them to fixate. That even happens with sober drivers. It also looks like this phenomena is being defeated, or at least reduced with LED lights. Seems that maybe the high intensity of the LEDs, instead of the comfortable flashing of halogens or strobes is doing a better job of deflecting them...Donno how on earth we'll ever prove that one, but its what I've been hearing for about the last 4 years.

However, do what makes you happy.

For me the only thing which counts is, I can say, I've done everything possible to increase being seen, being on a bike makes you the weaker of the two, so in my calculation, I need to at least change the odds against me. I don't have a bumper..... :lol: , that narrow's it down!

I'm in the process of adding Hyperlites to the back and will probably do a headlight modulator for the front. It's all about managing risk IMO.

Dangling Hyperlites and obvious(with the flash) 3M tape kit.

P1030081.jpg

Took the reflectors off the license plate bracket and made some little plates to accept the Hyperlites. Will probably add the reflectors somewhere else.

P1030089.jpg

Will post a pic when done. Waiting for the paint to dry thoroughly.

I'm in the process of adding Hyperlites to the back and will probably do a headlight modulator for the front. It's all about managing risk IMO.

Dangling Hyperlites and obvious(with the flash) 3M tape kit.

Took the reflectors off the license plate bracket and made some little plates to accept the Hyperlites. Will probably add the reflectors somewhere else.

Will post a pic when done. Waiting for the paint to dry thoroughly.
Good job Big. I usually just buy the license plate bracket thing they sell. But yours looks very custom, cool.

I'm quite religious about stopping in a position in my lane that would allow a quick escape and watching the 6 at every stop. I know the hyper lites help, they obviously get peoples attention and they react as soon as they come on. It's good to get the odds in your favor as best you can :)