"Bench Touring" question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn`t mention how long this adventure is (10 days or a couple of weeks) I ask this as a tire that is run 500 miles a day, with a chance to cool off (longer lay up), will get more miles out of it than a tire that stays hot for a 1000 mile a day with little cooling time. (worked for a tire company for 21 years) It would be nice to know bikes involved & bench touring is one thing but actually doing it is another. Are all 5 serious LD riders or commuters, because this makes a huge difference on how long you ride or how short (lots of motel time) You all also need bike to bike comunication (hand signals work fine for the 4 up front) How many are riding 2 up or are all of you, as some pillion riders can ride all day & some just to the local ice cream stop. As in one of the IBA lines , i think it say to make a pact that if one or 2 want to drop out while on the ride, the rest should continue on there plan or you will have 5 or 10 pissy people. just sayin

Thanks for the responces. As I see it now, I have two good options: 1) run PR2's. or 2) run a car tire on the rear and wheelie my way around the country. B)
I rode with PR2s last year for a 7000 mile trip. The handling started to suck after about 3500 miles...and the rear tire was totally toast at 8000 miles.

I'm not the fastest rider out there by any means, but I do enjoy wicking it up through the curves.

Nothing better than cross country sport touring. :yahoo:

I rode with PR2s last year for a 7000 mile trip. The handling started to suck after about 3500 miles...
I've heard that reported by some others. What specifically was the suckiness?
Tires are subjective obviously, but I got feedback that indicated the front tire stickiness was not what it was before...therefore, I had to back it off on Skaggs Springs road and HWY 36.

It also appeared to run rougher than the creamy smooth feeling it had when I first had them mounted. I've never had a track day so I am sure I have never had the bike full over, I rarely wear the feelers. I usually hit those only on a bump in the middle of a curve. I am typically a middling rider. Therefore, I am no "expert" on handling or tires at all. All I can say is that the feeling was not confidence inspiring.

Thanks for the reply, Mark.

So paraphrasing here, would you say that it was primarily the front PR2 that left you feeling underwhelmed?

The reason I ask is because I feel it's the fronts that wear so funny, probably due to the angle the tread pattern goes at. Then you get that tire buzz thing for a while. Eventually it seems the buzz reduces some as the tire gets worn down further.

Maybe, like the old Roadsmarts, it would be better to pair a rear PR2 with a Pirelli up front? What are your thoughts on that?

So paraphrasing here, would you say that it was primarily the front PR2 that left you feeling underwhelmed?
Yes.
Maybe, like the old Roadsmarts, it would be better to pair a rear PR2 with a Pirelli up front? What are your thoughts on that?
Haven't run a Pirelli front yet...but that may be in my future. I tend to ditch my used fronts after a change...since I crashed after riding a new sticky rear and a not as sticky used front by washing the front out in Arkansas.

stevec677 - Basically, about two days out I used the Hotel computer to search for dealers along my planned route. Than at breakfast I made a bunch of phone calls. Found a dealer with the my tire choice (Roadsmarts) and made an appointment. For my next trip I will definitely consider a stiffer longer life tire, as I found I didn't push my riding near as much as I do on my local terf.

Here are the stats from my CC ride. I changed tires in Bend OR.

28 days.

27 nights (1 camping).

22 states.

9,357 miles total.

est, 230 miles in rain gear.

1 oil change.

est. 225 gallon of gas.

2 sets of tires.

1 killed pheasant.

Countless thousands of killed grasshoppers and other insects.

1,428 pictures taken.

120 mph top speed.

Some of the best vacation time I ever spent.

Haven't run a Pirelli front yet...but that may be in my future. I tend to ditch my used fronts after a change...since I crashed after riding a new sticky rear and a not as sticky used front by washing the front out in Arkansas.
I agree you always want your stickiest tire up front. That's the idea behind using a single compound tire up front with a dual compound rear. Another advantage is they should wear out pretty close together, so you aren't stuck with a half worn front when it's time to change the rear. This used to be the case with the Roadsmart / Strada combo of days past. Maybe the PR2 rear and Angel front can be used this way too.

Its nit just a question of tire ware butwhat about punctures along the way or the fat that everyone may not be starting on a brand nw tire. Also need to consider time it takes to search and go out of your way to get a tire.

This happened on the way back fron the dragon last year fir me. Cost me afee dollars calling around for a shoo that night, an uncomfortable sleeo thinkijng i may have to goseveral hndred miles showing kevlar, found one placeavailable about 60 miles out of our way that could mount the tire if itook it off the bike. Finding a tie that will fit isnt much of- a problem. Finding a dealer that has an open appointmet as well can be an issue.

On this lenth of trip, i take tite spoons $14, static balancer $110, short torque rench with appropriate sockets. A 2x4 cut at the right lengths along the way and you have a full change system. Now just fined anytire thats the same size. One kit takes care of all bikes. 2x4 takes care of propping up the front tire as well as braking the bead.