Best Hot weather riding gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The answer's simple really: Motoport.
I looked at their site, and I only see Cordura stuff... Did I miss something? That's just too damn hot to wear in the Florida summer, as a matter of fact, I consider my Motoport a winter jacket.

The Tourmaster Draft mesh stuff isn't really that abrasion-resistant, but it's got good elbow/forearm/shoulder/back armor, and it's better than the "nothing" I'd otherwise be wearing. Did I mention it's hot? Really hot? And it feels "hotter" than Arizona, since it's so damn humid.

Plus I switch to my SV-650, as the FJR is just too hot to commute on.

EDIT: I did crash test my Intake jacket at about 50mph in the rain at the end of last summer. I slid... and slid... and slid... and when I eventually stopped, I had to run quite a ways back to the bike. The logo on the left shoulder is pretty worn, and there's a scuff on the top point of the shoulder and the forearm, but there's no rips and I still wear it. I don't think it would have fared so well in the dry, however.

I did upgrade the bike to one with ABS. Suzukis have the most "wooden" feel to the brakes... ugh. (P.S. - the "Intake" comes with thermal & rain liners, the "Draft" is the same jacket, but no liners)

EDIT 2: Yes, I missed the kevlar stuff. I'd have to see it before I bought it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most common fabrics used are nylon and polyester, which are nowhere near as strong as Kevlar, or even Cordura. They are not nearly as strong as Cordura or (the gold standard) Kevlar.
Cordura® is a DuPont trademark for their heavy nylon fabric. Kevlar® is a DuPont trademark for their aramid fiber which may have some generics in the future.

Just finished a few rides on my new-Speed and Strength "Devil's in the Details" Jacket.

It is a bang for the buck. Picked it up on closeout at MCsuperstore a month or so ago.

It is literally 3 jackets in one.

Inner Layer- has a waterproof liner

Middle layer is mesh jacket

outer layer that literally zips off and reveals the mesh with armor.

There is a youtube video on this jacket, can't link it here from work, but it's worth a look.

It fits a bit loose, but when it's hot....just zip off the outer layer, and it is cool as the other side of the pillow...

I jave a Joe Rocket mesh jacket (with the CBR logos carefully removed) and mesh gloves. Never tried mesh pants.

I always assumed that this gear will just give me a few extra seconds of slide time to slow down before my skin hits the pavement.

How about perforating the windshield?

The most common fabrics used are nylon and polyester, which are nowhere near as strong as Kevlar, or even Cordura. They are not nearly as strong as Cordura or (the gold standard) Kevlar.
Cordura® is a DuPont trademark for their heavy nylon fabric. Kevlar® is a DuPont trademark for their aramid fiber which may have some generics in the future.
Yes I am aware of this.

Doesn't change the fact that both are far superior to regular nylon and polyester. Click on the link I posted above to see the specs on the different fabrics. It's quite an eye opener.

MOTOPORT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo:
This^^^^I have the Air Mesh Jacket, and Pant. It is like wearing a long sleeve cotton shirt. Best stuff I've ever worn! When you consider the cost of a trip to the emergency room, surgury, Dr. Fee, medicine, pain & suffering. It quickly becomes clear that spending $2000.00 on nice gear is a No-brainer. Artificial skin graft costs a min. of $1000 for 400 sq. cm (approx 2x3 in) nevermind fixing tendons and muscle now your talking tens of thousands of $.

Does anyone know of gear that uses 1000 Denier Cordura? Most out there are 500 or 600.

Does anyone know of gear that uses 1000 Denier Cordura? Most out there are 500 or 600.
Motoport does on some of their Cordura gear.

Some Olympia gear is a mix of 500 and 2000. My Phantom suit, for example, uses 2000 denier Cordura in "high impact" areas.

I have a Vanson Cobra Mark 2 leather jacket (with armour) you can open up the 2 vents in the front, vent on each arm and two vents in the back. This works well for me in New England, but I'm not sure if there would be enough air flow for the southern states. Vanson does have a completely perferated leather jacket also.

I had my accident 2 years ago :angry: . Was wearing Firstgear, the jacked burned through at the wrists and then my skin got it. I spent $15,000 in medical. Now I have a Stitch suit for the cooler months and Motorport GP2 with Airmesh Kevlar pants for the summer. The $ spent on the gear is a deal compared to the $ on medical.

My wife and I both wear a Cortech GX Air Jacket and Tourmaster Venture Air pants. The GX has leather on the critical skid locations (elbow/forearms, shoulders and back). This probably makes it a little warmer than some others but I'm not comfortable without it. It also has adjusment straps to keep the elbow armor tight and in place as you remove the liners. Normally I wear the pants over jeans.

I had my accident 2 years ago :angry: . Was wearing Firstgear, the jacked burned through at the wrists and then my skin got it. I spent $15,000 in medical. Now I have a Stitch suit for the cooler months and Motorport GP2 with Airmesh Kevlar pants for the summer. The $ spent on the gear is a deal compared to the $ on medical.
I'm in no way discrediting you, but I went looking for your crash report, hoping you'd discussed your gear (or failure of) there. In an earlier post you recounted your jacket as a FieldSheer.

I went down 2 years ago. Was hit from behind. I was going 80 mph and he was 120mph. Had on a Shoe Full face that did not get a scratch on it, a Field Shier Jacket that did not hold up to the abrasion of the road... {snippage}
I don't ask to call you out, I ask only because I've had *excellent* experience with the 3 FirstGear products I've owned and would recommend them to anyone.

I find it surprising that a FG failed so badly. The FieldSheer: I'm not saying the products are poor, but it wouldn't be the first time I've read about them failing in a slide. Usually it's the seams.

Awhile back I tried on several pairs of mesh pants from the various makers, Joe Rocket, Firstgear, Tourmaster/Coretech, Olympia and Fieldsheer. And a few from companies I never heard of or can remember now.

By far, the "coolest" to wear were the Fieldsheer Titanium Air mesh pants. Many of the others had me sweating right there in the store.

I have been VERY HAPPY with them in the summer and although I do realize they do not offer the protection like the motoport kevlar do, I am fine with that as sometimes I will trade overall comfort for protection...95 degree days stuck in traffic suck...

KM

Vanson Ventmax 3. 1000 level cordura , with ce armor at the forearms, shoulders and back. The air openings are the biggest I've seen and I have heard of several positive outcome crash results,( in addition to the one vanson uses to promote the jacket.)

Jack.

let me add, I use my tuffrhino over the head cooling vest when temps are above 80 or so.

I'm at risk when it comes to heat and the vest saves me double vision and panting like a dog most days.

It's mostly high humidity here, so the vest has a harder time being effective, but it's enuf to get me home.

I carry double water and ice on the bike with half to drink and half to pour on me. Ice water poured onto my gear and vest at a stop works for me.

I need to find another thread to ask if anyone has problems getting the vest to work like new the second season after hanging dryed out all winter.

I wear a Tourmaster Intake most of the warm weather season. Versatile, comfortable, affordable , and looks good.