Beyond Frustration--Mirror Mount Bracket Snapped

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does gen 4 has this issue? or they have fixed it in gen 4?
This forum doesn't recognise Gen 4, it's Gen3.5 at best, but yes, you do have a brittle mirror mount frame. Just like mine.

Your step by step link detailing the removal of the "Stay" needs to be stickied somewhere on here in the GEN III Resource page

Hmmmmmm..kind of glad I have a genII and maybe even glad I have a BMW. Only kidding but I do think the beemer is a bit easier to work on. Well, maybe not when it's clutch replacement time but no comparison when it comes to a valve adjust. They all have pluses and minuses. I replaced the left side panel on my neighbors genIII and again I came to appreciate the genII, big time! I can safely say I shall never own a genIII. The thing must have been designed by a guy named Rubric as in the cube.
smile.png

Hmmmmmm..kind of glad I have a genII and maybe even glad I have a BMW.

The thing must have been designed by a guy named Rubric as in the cube.
smile.png
In this case Hmmmmmmm is the Rubric :) It's not Friday but what the hell!

ru·bric
ˈro͞obrik/
noun

a heading on a document.

• a direction in a liturgical book as to how a church service should be conducted.

a statement of purpose or function.
"art for a purpose, not for its own sake, was his rubric"

Ru·bik's Cube
ˈro͞obiks ˌkyo͞ob/

nountrademark

1. a puzzle in the form of a plastic cube covered with multicolored squares, which the player attempts to twist and turn so that all the squares on each face are of the same color.

The man is talented for sure. That cast shit aint easy to weld. My beads wouldn't look anywhere that nice. I need more practice but I am not going to volunteer my stay to get it.

Tig or Mig?

Nice work Gary,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the last thing you would want to make it from. How bout Carbon fiber?
People are already complaining about cost increases to the platform. Head north of BMW's a la carte fees and you'll lose the sales and eventually the bike.

It looks like the part that gets broken is Stay p/n 1MC-28356-01-00, which goes for about $180 on Partzilla. Keep that number in mind when coming up with repair or replacement solutions.

If the new part was FREE it would still be a big expensive job.

Wonder what they made it out of back in olden days? Back when they didn't all snap if the bike fell over?

If the new part was FREE it would still be a big expensive job.
Well, any time you have to pay anyone to do anything on the FJR it becomes a big expensive job. If you do the work yourself it is merely a pain in your ass.
wink.png
Don't forget that to weld up the broken cast alloy frame requires the same work to remove and reinstall it.

Wonder what they made it out of back in olden days? Back when they didn't all snap if the bike fell over?
Yep, pretty sure the old one was good ole' steel. Heavy, but well worth the weight. After I knocked my '05's headlight out on the side bag of a BMW GS (long story) I found the same stays had been bent. Bent 'em right on back no problemo.