Big Hit in Eastern Wyoming, Healing the Weeks After a Get Off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Helluva Ride Report, Ignacio. Glad you're still with us and glad to see the optimism in your post. Any crash can be life-threatening if it happens in the middle of nowhere -- and you know that better than we do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sending good thoughts your way Matt. Saw the article in the Tri-Cities paper but it didn't indicate you were that banged up.

Thank god for technology, heal up quick and get yourself a '15ES!

--G

Iggy, let me be one of the first to "like" your post. Not because I like it, but because I have no other way to express myself. Heal up fast my FJR brother

Iggy, hang in there and get well. Bike is replaceable.

I'm only three hours from Casper, if you need farkles or stuff off the bike I'll be glad to help.

I'm headed to FJRays Sep 1st.

John

I am assuming the Replacement Bike will be another FJR... We know that with all those broken ribs and other damage he is not in a hurry to get the Replacement Bike. We know that the '14 ES was one of the nicest colors ever painted on an FJR.

Which leads me into the two inevitable NEPRT worthy questions:

1)"What COLOR will the 2016 FJR be?"

2)"Should Ignacio look for a leftover '14, buy a '15, or wait for the '16?"

To be serious, what are your plans for The Replacement? Or is it too early to worry about that?

Sorry to hear of your get-off Matt. Got my heli ride out of Death Valley about 12 years ago after a 50 mph get-off, getting thrown over the handle bars. Got lobbed 40' from my bike and thought I broke my back as I couldn't get up, but amazingly ended up being just a HUGE stinger with NO broken bones. Nurse in a car that witnessed it was my life-saver. I'm sure the 'ragdoll roll', as you describe it, is what causes bones to break. I didn't have that; just the football throw, landing on my back and fortunately had heavy layers of winter gear on.

Heal up soon, I know those ribs will be the biggest bitch of them all. It's amazing you didn't end up with two collapsed lungs. You're a very lucky man!

Whoa, what a post to read. Glad you are the one posting it though, take your time to heal well, listen to the Doc's to get the best recovery possible.

When did you realize where your spot was? I have often wondered where the best place to put my InReach is. I have it mounted to my handle bars now so I can easily mark spots, and carry a PLB in my jacket pocket, but I wonder if the InReach should be on my person in case of a get off like yours.

Sheep are apparently not so soft, and the ground is hard, even on dirt. Mr. Don taught me that.

Don't be in too much of a rush to give up your short-term disability. You don't get extra credit for the sacrifice, and no one will cut you a break while you're still recovering. It's there to let you get better, so forget about work and returning until you are absolutely sure you have fully recovered. This was my hard lesson from a job I no longer have.

Best wishes for a quick recovery and a new bike. I hope you're covered for the airlift evac.

Iggy, Sorry to hear about your misfortune but glad you are able to tell us about it.

Just remember you have a lot of support from the members of this forum. As others have said, take your time healing and let nature take it's course, some things cannot be rushed.

I know it is difficult but be patient and in time you will have something new and shiny to put the smile back on your face.

Wishing you the best.

I am just thinking this incident may the Sheep Forum getting back at the FJRForum.

Bust you are making enemies for us out there! Think of that next time you are "farming".

Wow...sorry to hear about the sheep splitting experiment, but glad you're still around to tabulate the results!

Get well soon! :D

Bikes, replaceable. You, not so much.

Boy Iggy, sure sounds like the kind of adventure most of us would like to avoid. Proof once again it is best to dress for the get-off and not the ride. Glad you're still around to help keep this place in-line. Will be sending loads of good MOJO from Atlanta and hoping for a complete and speedy recovery.

Bad luck with the sheep and good luck that you are doing reasonably well.

Clavicle in 3 pieces is not a good thing at all. I've had that, it is important to do proper exercises while healing, otherwise the shoulder joint has a tendency to get stuck and then you won't be able to rise the hand properly.

Never mind the bike, you can always buy a new one...

Damn, what a story!

Glad the modern electronics were functioning when you needed them most. Happy to see your mostly intact and posting up.

And yup, parents are indeed the coolest.

Take your time, heal up and wait to see what color the 16's are.

Wow, glad you are Okay, well, enough so to tell the story but certainly not any story we wanted to hear. Heal up and follow the doc's instructs. I hope it goes quickly for you.

Man, good thing you had the 1 bar of cell service, and, that hour before the cop showed up must of felt like eternity!

...Man, good thing you had the 1 bar of cell service, and, that hour before the cop showed up must of felt like eternity!
Matt was probably using that time to think of alternate routes after the hospital to avoid the DNF.

wink.png