Big Sky Rally 2013 - Into The Unknown

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also if you have your own and a better solution to the mix up at the awards ceremony. By all means let it be known, would love to hear it, instead of just complaining no matter how legitimate.

I will also add that the organizers of the ITU are not on FJRForum. Just some lowly volunteers who hang out here. If you want someone to look into your complaint, emailing Bob Torter is your first step and probably would be the last step as he would take care of it.

Also if you have your own and a better solution to the mix up at the awards ceremony. By all means let it be known, would love to hear it, instead of just complaining no matter how legitimate.
+1

Hosting a rally is a complex endeavor. I for one appreciate the work involved. They work hard so that we may play.

Thank you from this lowly rider to the volunteers who made it possible.

--Phil

What is this prize you speak of? Just curious. Always thought a congratulation from my peers to be "prize" enough.

I'm sure he's talking about the trophy... And he does have a legit complaint. I don't think his 'complaining' was inappropriate either. From his post, and I may have misread, it sounds like he DID try to reach out to the organizers...

No one is perfect. Rallies are volunteer events and stuff like this happens. We know this. I am sure Jamie does as well. I hope that he'll be able to look past this and try some other events as well, clearly, he's got some talent!

I had no idea that this happened at the awards ceremony. I knew Jamie came in first in "New to Sport" though. I hope this works itself out.

Thanks Auburn for the awesome report. Though your wife looks a little tuckered in that photo, she is still very photogenic in that photo.

Glad you two had a great experience...and no encounters with bigfoot or biglegs in the dark of night.

Yes, I have been in contact with Bob and he apologized for the mixup. He was up all night due to the accidents that happened and was not able to stay on top of everything like he wanted. I understand, shit happens. It's not a big deal.

I didn't post here expecting some kind of resolution from the board members, I was just relaying what happened and how I felt about it.

From personal knowledge since your post caught my attention, I have learnt that Bob has already apologized to you personally and had been trying to effect a trophy swap after you got in touch with him and informed him, that while you deemed the awards ceremony mix up as no big deal, you would still like to have a correct trophy for your efforts, but it was no big deal either way..

It seems Bob was unable to succesfully organize a trophy swap, as you can understand once the trophies leave with whomever, things get out of his control.

He has however already ordered you a new trophy. These things take some time to materialize but you should have your prize soon.

I don't believe Bob didn't care or was putting you off, just trying to determine the best course of action. Believe me he takes these things seriously, just look at all the work and efforts he put in just to make this event happen in the first place. Believe me he was probably just as unhappy at the awards mix up as any of the affected riders, being a rallymaster is no easy job and a tremendous and very stressful responsibility. Sometimes mistakes happen when organizing a rally of this size.

From what I have learnt here is what the mix-up was:

There were two classes to this rally. The new to sport class and the experienced class. There was a rider/reporter from the Northern Rockies newspaper who had signed up for this rally, but insisted to be classified as experienced class, even though he had never run an LD rally before. He was nevertheless mistakenly classified as new to sport during scoring, which Bob wasn't able to as tightly supervise as he would have liked to, because of being up all night dealing with rider crashes etc.

When Bob audited the scoring sheets the next day, he fixed this error and Jamie moved up from #2 to #1. It was an honest mistake and from everything I can gather Bob felt really badly about it.

Anyhow all is well that ends well. I hope this is to your satisfaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not intend to insult Bob and I apologize for doing so. I don't know him and email is an imperfect form of communication. I felt blown-off and that was my mistake. I know the rally is a tremendous amount of work and I thank all those involved.

I did not intend to insult Bob and I apologize for doing so. I don't know him and email is an imperfect form of communication. I felt blown-off and that was my mistake. I know the rally is a tremendous amount of work and I thank all those involved.
Time for a group hug and a round of Kumbaya? :D

Time for a group hug and a round of Kumbaya?
biggrin.png
+1
smile.png
friends.gif

A little clarity, please.

I am the editor and publisher of Northern Rockies Rider. I also serve as a reporter. I did not ride the ITU rally, but I was there to cover the event.

Sam Park, an engineer and owner of Imperium Tool and Instrument (not a reporter), registered and rode my FJR. He had never run a rally. When he registered, he said he believed the web site indicated the "New-To-Sport" class was full, an apparently erroneous interpretation. So he registered in the "Experienced" class, even though it was his original intent to register "New-To-Sport."
Even though a rookie, he thought it was possible he could earn a qualified "finish" in the "Experienced" class. Chalk it up to brains, aptitude, preparation and confidence. Of course he came in sixth place overall. That's quite an accomplishment and it should not be diminished by this small controversy.

At the awards ceremony, while placements in the experienced class were read off, it was noted Sam took sixth overall and that he was a rookie. Fair enough. Later, when New-To-Sport awards were announced, Sam was named first place winner in that category, even though he had entered the "Experienced" class.

It is quite clear how this could happen, since it was widely known Sam was in fact "new-to-sport."

Sam has not been contacted by anyone regarding a "trophy swap" (what would he swap for?) and is not even aware there is an issue (I hope it stays that way).

I have been in contact with Bob Torter, rally master, and he assured me he has offered to furnish Jamie (jtnwevo) a rightly deserved first place trophy in "New-To-Sport." I hope, and think, that should satisfy Jamie. So let us also acknowledge and celebrate Jamie's outstanding achievement. Well done! Frankly, I don't see how anyone can ask Sam to give back what was awarded him, when he did no wrong. He was the top finishing rookie, but not the top finishing "New-To-Sport" entrant. There's some gray area and we should all be able to live with it.

I can tell you, Bob Torter, as a (two-time?) IBR veteran and two-up finisher, takes these things seriously. He put together a hell of an event. This matter should not detract from the Big Sky ITU Rally, Bob and Sylivie Torter's exceptional dedication and organization, Jamie's stellar achievement or Sam Park's incredible finish. We should all just collect our trophies and our wonderful memories, give Bob and Sylvie a big pat on the back, and look forward to the Big Sky Rally 2015!

Selah.

Thanks Auburn for the awesome report. Though your wife looks a little tuckered in that photo, she is still very photogenic in that photo.
Glad you two had a great experience...and no encounters with bigfoot or biglegs in the dark of night.
Thanks Wheatie

And yes we had a great time. The heat was pretty tough, but she is a trooper. Never complains.

Last edited by a moderator: