Bike out of service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you are able to post. Hope the healing goes well. The bike can be replaced. Since you are in full retirement I have a very nicely appointed 2007 for sale that is just broken in. You can do a fly and ride and take all back roads coast to coast, avoiding parking lots, of course!

Seriously, positive healing thoughts heading your way.

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and wishes. Now I get to fight with the insurance companies over value of the totaled FJR.

The other drivers insurance company has accepted responsibility. But my insurance company will decide value and bill theirs.

Hopefully I'll have a 2016 soon.

Overall, I think insurance companies have been fair with regard to the value of the bike, but I would not let my insurance company subrogate my claim unless the other party was underinsured and I expected to file an uninsured motorist claim with my own company (assuming I have such coverage). Rather, I would settle my own claim directly with the underwriter at fault.

You might use Search Tempest to gather the overall market value of like kind and quality motorcycles within 400-500 miles of you. But don't present that until after you have seen their offer. Many times, the insurance company will make an offer that is higher than the local market. I suspect that could happen hear as the re-sell value of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 bikes seems to be dropping significantly over the past 6-12 months.

Remember to let them know about any farkles that you have installed that were damaged, and your riding gear. If you are interested in retaining any farkles that are not damaged, that perhaps could be re-used on your next bike, that is usually not contested. Not sure if you have thought about this, but if the insurance company ask you to sign a release for the totaled bike, that should only a Property Damage Only release (not medical - it's way too early for that).

Good luck.

Very good advice, thank you. The other party’s insurance adjuster called me an indicated a pain and suffering offer will be made, also reimbursement of lost wages. They seem to be fully insured and willing to work with me. I will heal, been hurt worse in my dirt bike racing career, only thing I’m concerned about is the bike and its value. Loved the bike and planned on retiring from riding on it some later day.

Retiring from riding? Why?

I think you misspoke and you plan on retiring AND riding it, like I intend to do on mine.

Good luck to you in either case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred, I think he meant retiring from his riding days, still using this bike (is this age 85 or thereabouts?). I'm betting he's already thinking about a replacement (provided this one is a total).

Big Sky is correct, sorry my brain is still not processing thoughts correctly yet,

I retired last year and decided to take on another job to keep busy, use to commute year-round on the fjr to work,

missed not riding every day. Guess it was another reason to get a job, backfired obviously.

Yes I've been researching the next bike..

Last edited by a moderator: