Bike won't hold idle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My "trick" was to lay a small 6" metal ruler (straight edge as we call in machine shops), flat on the head surface, alongside the exhaust cam sprocket. Then using an inspection mirror (dental mirror) and flashlight, I could both illuminate the side of the exhaust cam sprocket and have a close edge reference for the timing mark.

IMO, if you try to use the surface of the head as reference, it's just too damn far away from the mark to be sure what you're seeing.

I'll man-up and confess, it took me roughly three hours to get the timing set correctly after replacing the chain and tensioner, and I've done it a bizillion times on engines outside the frame or ones that are visible from the side. It's a tough job to get it right, but that's no excuse for doing it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great tip, Jeff. Stashing that one away in my (ever decreasing) memory banks for use whenever the day comes that I have to adjust my valves. I am wistfully hoping that my valves are the magic ones that never require adjustment! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased a new 2009 FJR and have a very similar issue. It sounds like the timing issue described above, but I would think the factory would get it right.

The only difference between my stalling and the ones described above is it only seems to happen just after the bike has been started. If the bike is warm and I shut it off, let it sit for a short period, then start it, some times it will stall when I go to take off.

The bike does not always idle hunt either.

Well I purchased the bike from a dealer in Dallas and will take it to the local dealer in Austin to get it serviced.

I say kudos to the tech who stood up to his boss and re-set the cam timing. I wouldn't avoid this dealer; obviously the FJR timing is something that gives a lot of techs trouble for whatever reason. I would happily go there and request the same tech who had enough integrity to keep working until the problem was solved. (Plus maybe ask for some store credit for all the time you wasted getting your bike back down there ;) )
They've installed my heli risers for $35 on the switch recall, installed the G2 for free, grip puppies - twice free, new battery installed - free, ...

It seems they always forget one thing or another at each service, but I really do give the mechanics some room for human error (I stress "some"). Probably most of you will disagree with my strategy, but I have started tipping this one tech a twenty each of the last two trips and I believe that might have had something to do with him trying a little harder. I try and put myself in their shoes...working for the big boss, never anybody praising their efforts, family economic struggles, etc. and I drive 3 hours and avoid the local dealer who would not consider working on my bike because I purchased it out of town.

Another tidbit, when I told this tech about this particular thread, he took it with the idea that this was probably the fix (or hopeful). I was in the other city that had something to do with this and told the owner about this thread. His comment was that you should never believe all the bad information on "those forums". I went into defense mode trying to relay all the helpful info that I've benefited from here. He wasn't listening.

git-r-dan :beach:

His comment was that you should never believe all the bad information on "those forums". I went into defense mode trying to relay all the helpful info that I've benefited from here. He wasn't listening.
Well, the Intard-net earned its reputation honestly. But we know the difference between listening to learned, historically proven advice and arrogantly dismissing "hysterical opinion."

But in another way, I can't blame him, sort of. If I were a casual lurker or thread skimmer, I probably wouldn't own an FJR, what with all the heat, ticking, cam chain tensioning, valve destroying problems you read about with Gen I models, or the sloppy throttle action, ignition switch eating, ground block burning, clutch plate sticking, shft_28 reporting, altitude vomitting Gen IIs.

The Tech forums might be the FJR owners' greatest friend, but the other side of that double-edged sword is the same forums might be the FJR's greatest enemy. At least to a casual observer, or "River in Africa" shop owner.

'Howie