Black Hills Roundup II 27 June -1 July 2018

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In!
I plan to ride the dirty 900 mile loop on ktm 690r Mon-Thu or Friday and then hop over my FJR saddle for the weekend.

Thank you for hosting this BigJohn!

Nibbling at the bait.
I was wondering if anybody was up for riding the whole DakAL during that week. I was initially just thinking of riding the Southern loop of the DakAL for a couple days and then riding street on Friday and Saturday but I might be in for the whole DakAL ride. I am scheduled to ride the whole loop staying at hotels along the way in September so I will know a lot more after that.

Interested in Dakal also.

Should this go in the FODS thread? This meet up is all over the place

Last edited by a moderator:
Grrrr, SHMBO gill-netted me into a Mexico vacation 3 weeks prior to this event.

White sand and umbrella drinks for this little fish. Have fun guys.

Route downloaded for a future date.
punk.gif

Grrrr, SHMBO gill-netted me into a Mexico vacation 3 weeks prior to this event.White sand and umbrella drinks for this little fish. Have fun guys.

Route downloaded for a future date. :punk:
Bummer! I was planning on following you through Oregon on the way up so you could flush out the Blue F250 pickups (with the headache racks & State Trooper in small print on the door) for me.

In!
I plan to ride the dirty 900 mile loop on ktm 690r Mon-Thu or Friday and then hop over my FJR saddle for the weekend.

Thank you for hosting this BigJohn!

Nibbling at the bait.
I was wondering if anybody was up for riding the whole DakAL during that week. I was initially just thinking of riding the Southern loop of the DakAL for a couple days and then riding street on Friday and Saturday but I might be in for the whole DakAL ride. I am scheduled to ride the whole loop staying at hotels along the way in September so I will know a lot more after that.
That is my intention - the whole DakAL including camping the whole way if I can find someone with the same interest. I could probably be persuaded to spend a night or two in motels along the way for intermittent clean up, but I'd rather spend the nights under the stars as much as possible.

Here is some of the trip plans for my September modified DakAL ride not taking all of the original DakAL route. I will be riding with a group of around twenty from the Glacial Lakes Motorcycle club glmc.org. It must be sort of flower stiffing group taking 6 days to cover 775 miles. It will be a laid back hotel based ride with no camping involved.

"I think I've got everything finalized for the route. "

Day 1 Starting from west of Custer & heading north to Aladdin, WY & staying at a B&B. 118 miles
Day 2 Aladdin to Buffalo. Motel in Buffalo. Have some options routes with this section. 198 miles
Day 3 Buffalo to Spearfish Motel in Spearfish. Again, an option for some really cool riding/scenery 128 miles
Day 4 Spearfish to Hill City Motel in Hill City. A short day through some nice scenic areas 88 miles
Day 5 Hill City to Hot Springs. Motel in Hot Springs. This appears to be another long day but, have options. 188 miles
Day 6 Hot Springs to Custer. A short day so everyone can get loaded & start heading toward home if they want. 55 miles.

I've tried avoiding as much blacktop as possible. So, Spearfish Canyon, Needles Highway etc. aren't included. You may also notice the area from Hoover to Sturgis to Hill City is different from the published DakAL tracks.

I'm still working on lodging. I'll let you know as soon as I have things finalized. When the time comes, you will be responsible for making your own reservations asap.

GLMC092017v1-L.jpg

September 9th....Buffalo Ridge Inn, Custer, SD 605-717-7006
Hi Jack, Below is my direct number to call. We have 15% Advance Purchase Rate and 10% off AAA. I am in tomorrow and off Friday and Saturday, back on Sunday. They can also leave a voicemail my direct line. Thanks Donna Heaton

September 10th...JC Stagestop Aladdin, WY 307-896-9134

September 11th...Tipperary Motel, Buffalo, SD 605-375-3721

September 12th...Bell's Motor Lodge, Spearfish, SD 605-642-3812

September 13th...Spring Creek Inn, Hill City, SD 605-574-2591

September 14th..Skyline Motel, Hot Springs, SD 605-745-6980

I was just checking on line. I didn't call by phone, so I may be wrong.
I warned Scott at Bell's about you. We both agreed we had to keep the Riff-Raff out.
rolleyes.gif
Well.... my DR650 can whip your XR650.
pinch.gif
tonguesmiley.gif
And my WR450F will lay waste to both of you in the single track. Eat my roost!!!

By the way I'm IN. Room booked at the Bell Motor Inn.
Bill, just make sure you have the GoPro going. I don't want to miss you nearly putting that WR450 into the weeds like you did tying to keep up on the Hill City to Keystone road.
jester.gif

I was just checking on line. I didn't call by phone, so I may be wrong.
I warned Scott at Bell's about you. We both agreed we had to keep the Riff-Raff out. :rolleyes:
Well.... my DR650 can whip your XR650. :pinch: :tonguesmiley:
And my WR450F will lay waste to both of you in the single track. Eat my roost!!!By the way I'm IN. Room booked at the Bell Motor Inn.
Are you really taking your 450? Only your 450? I'm thinking of going to this and taking the KTM, but I'm not a fan of dirt roads and miles of two track. If there's good single track enduro stuff, I'll take the 530. If not, I'll just take the FJR.