Blueridge Parkway to the Dragon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidbilly

Reaction score
So my time in Purgatory here in Dahlgren VA is almost up. On August 1 I'll be heading back to the left coast. My plan is to ride the BlueRidge Parkway down to Asheville NC on the first day, then hit the Tail of the Dragon and end up in Memphis for the second. I had to break the first two days into separate maps due to the number of way points required to stay on the Parkway.

Dahlgren to Asheville

Asheville to Memphis (Dragon)

The rest of the trip will be mostly Interstate but any suggestions to break up the I40 monotony would be welcome.

Squid, (and that is not meant in a negative manner as one of my co-workers is a retired Pacific Fleet Master Chief!)

The short answer is, there is no way to make the I-40 monotony any better than it is, I hope you have a throttle lock. As a wise man once said, "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit." I just did a ride from MEM to Albuquerque last month on my way up thru CO, SD, and WY. I went from MEM to Amarillo ( about 760 I think) for my first day and other than some rolling hills in AR and the "gee whiz" factor of the cool looking "big ass fans" generating electricity in TX, the ride was fairly boring. However, I was able to sustain speeds in the 90+ mph range in most of TX as trafffic was moving along briskly a good part of the time. Ride safe and I hope there are no Dahlgren VA readers on the forum that might take exception to having their home called Purgatory. :rolleyes:

Bob

As a sport-touring motorcyclist who's spent time at Dam Neck and Oceana, I can identify with this post on several levels.

Sport-touring on the Interstate Highway System is a non-starter -- only, maybe?, as a mental exercise. Trip routing software needs help to supply the sport-touring rider with routes and travel times. The BRP, itself, can use-up several days....

On a recent trip paralleling I-40, I toured through the Sans Bois Mountains of E. OK, the Wichita Mts. (S. OK), and Palo Duro Cyn. in the TX pan-handle -- great trip -- all it takes is time and imagination (did I mention time?).

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
charismaticmegafauna is right. The only way to make I-40 interesting is to get off it and run parallel. Although I haven't spent much time down there in the last decade, my memory says that northern Arkansas -- like, say, US-62 through Mountain Home, etc. -- would be much more interesting.

Maybe all the folks here who went to Eureka Springs can suggest fun ways to get across.

charismaticmegafauna is right. The only way to make I-40 interesting is to get off it and run parallel. Although I haven't spent much time down there in the last decade, my memory says that northern Arkansas -- like, say, US-62 through Mountain Home, etc. -- would be much more interesting.
Maybe all the folks here who went to Eureka Springs can suggest fun ways to get across.

You can make the dragon to Memphis on US64. Not a great ride, but not bad. Most of it is four lane and most of the towns have a bypass, but it's still a long day. It's been several years since I have done it myself, and they have done a lot of road improvements to 64 since then.

That said, I hate I-40 from Knoxville to Memphis. It's full of trucks and just sucks. BUT, it's the way I go because it's 6 hours Vs. 10 hours on 64.

Don't forget to go up Mt Mitchell on the way to Asheville. It's right off the BRP before you get into Asheville. Also make sure you check out the Cherohala Skyway it's right there by the Dragon. If you're staying in Robinsville you might as well check out the Phillips Hotel for a decent room for the night. RT28 thru Fontana is sweet too.

Have a safe trip!

PS Don't forget Robinsville is a dry town so a trip to Fontana or over the Skyway to Tellico is in order. Tellico has a better variety as well as the Nut'n Fancy restaurant for some good food. Right towards the end of the Skyway there is a huge Dragon Mailbox on the left so don't forget the photo op.

Downloaded a pic of me on the Dragon. Killboy had some crappy shots so I went with the MoonShine guys.

5980_1141024419443_1642437804_30347322_3347106_n.jpg

Downloaded a pic of me on the Dragon. Killboy had some crappy shots so I went with the MoonShine guys.
I wasn't aware of these people and went by and found five pretty good shots from this year's trip, but they weren't there last year when I was there according to their calendar . . . .

Makes you wonder who else takes pics on The Dragon that I didn't locate.

To date:

Killboy

Zeephoto

US129

Moonshineguys

So my time in Purgatory here in Dahlgren VA is almost up.

Purgatory? That is a little harsh for an area that is a day or even two days ride from some of the best motorcycle riding in the country. Too bad we couldn't have hooked up before you left. I would have tried to make your time here tolerable. I can understand being partial to home, but I wouldn't 'dis someone else's.