Bob Higdon on riding through Russia

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal24Master

Reaction score
Just got back to the room from Bob Higdons' presentation on his trip with Mike Kneebone through Russia. He did this for the IBA National Meet. It was hysterical. If you ever get a chance to catch it, don't miss it.

Tom

IBA 161

Can you give us more details as to who is Bob Higdon and Mike Kneebone, and where do we find this information about the trip. i.e. links etc etc

Can you give us more details as to who is Bob Higdon and Mike Kneebone, and where do we find this information about the trip. i.e. links etc etc

Well Bob Higdon is a (Well known) Long Distance Rider and Mike Kneebone from what I've pickedup/heard/read is basically "Mr Iron Butt Association".

Bob and Miike's trip was done within weeks of that filmed for the show "Long Way 'Round". The difference is that Bob, and Mike rode with only 1 other person, didn't have a retinue of chase people and vehicles, didn't get get ther gear and bikes for free, and dind't break down along the way (they chose Honda Nighthawks iirc for their durrability and parts availability). They would hear from locals about the crew that had passed recently (going the other way) and how there were times when the more photogenic group had others ride their bikes the rest of the way into town at times when they were too tired to go on.

Bob & Mike's trip is the one to be impressed about.

Interesting read, and thanks for the links. Now I have a better understanding what IBA stands for, and if I read this earlier I would of introduced myself to Warchild when I was in Reno.

As far as this trip in Russia, I would be very interested in doing a ride thru Russia in 2009, anyone interested to come along?

Having been given direction from Higdon and Kneebone to prep the Nighthawks as if I was going to ride them around the world myself, I brought the bikes home from Sunnyside in the early Spring of 2004.

I was, um, really impressed with their choice of platform.... here's the day I brought it home:

YGTBSM.jpg

Thanks for mentioning this Tom ... this was one of the best talks I've had the pleasure to listen to ... even better that it was about motorcycling and distant lands. Bob's a real character. Bunch of real iron butts, them!

Bounce - hate to disagree, but that's just not true. Although they had a bunch of money behind them, film crews, and the "special" attention afforded their celebrity, Ewan and Charley chose a longer and more difficult route, rode the whole thing (except where it became physically impossible for anyone to ride anything - Mongolia I think), AND had to put up with a bunch of film crew noobs who were in the way and had lenses put in their faces every moment. Bob referenced this in his talk.

Then the story's changed a bit since it's original release to various mail lists. Perhaps a professional courtesy is being extended.

Of course we prefer to hear Bob's dramatic tales - told like no other can! I have to admit that I have inside info ... know someone involved in the "long way round" deal. Suffice it to say that both were incredible rides. Both groups gnarlier than I.

Nighthawks ... still smiling over that. And the look on WCs face!