Bosch 3323 oil filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you bought filters in good faith that are not what they were labeled to be. Get a return...call them and make their Christmas holiday party more merry.awkward.

Can you imagine the geek that would talk about this shit at a party...or forum? I'd pity the fool
fool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you know how to use the internet, just Google what cars that filter is applicable for. When you call, tell them it no longer works on your car. Many people here use the same filter for their Honda and FJR. I can almost guarantee you, if it doesn't fit your bike, it's not gonna fit a large majority of cars it is listed for.

Besides, all they can say is no. What will you have lost? 10 minutes?

My motto has always been " The only dumb question is the unasked question".

Call the damn 800 number, tell them your experience and offer to forward the filter or the pictures of the filter.

My guess is they will want the filter, the picture and the box.

What are you worried about? That some phone desk tech assist might blow you off? His, and their, loss. If that happens then a letter to the CEO is in order.

Good luck. Please report back on your reception, no balls, no blue chips!

That is a shrewd observation Dr Ionbeam! Looking at pics of dissected oil filters, none appear to use a reversible threaded plate.

Maybe someone over-torqued the filter and popped the threaded plate out. Later realizing what they did and returned it to the store!
uhoh.gif
I don't see how the entire base assembly could be upside down, either, but I thought it may have been possible that the plate with 8 small holes was reversed before welding the threaded piece on.

I think it's more likely that they're just mislabeled. If you've ever worked on an assembly line you'll know how much more likely it would be for multiple items to be mislabeled than it would be for one. Buying two mislabeled at the same store at the same time would probably be no great coincidence.

I would take them by the store and check some more on the shelf. If they're OK, they should swap them.

But if I got no satisfaction at the store, you'll sure get no satisfaction by not making the call. You might not get any by making it either, but what the heck? It's a free call. I like free stuff
smile.png

It looks like I'll be checking oil filters at the store for the proper shape before I buy them now. I find threads like this very helpful.

The filter was not assembled backwards. You can see a definate diffence between the two sides. The metal is extruded first then tapped. That pushed up portion would be facing up and very visable. So I do not believe it is a quality issue. Now they may have used a different part than they should have which may have caused the difference. That would be a quality issue.

I am not sure how much torque it would take to keep spinning the filter to pull it forward. I imagine if you are using a wrench it is possible. I don't think the filter was returned either. Some how Bosch screwed up and needs to know there defect. May be worth a case of filters to them. Worth a shot

in my opinion. You would need to document it and show them. Maybe a write in campain would make better results verses some underpaid tech who most likely doesn't care.

BoschDVsPureOne-5.jpg

That over torque/tight theory sounds good until you start thinking about it a bit harder. First look at the distance that center of the thread hole has to move along the axis of filter toward the bike. Then look at where the outside of the filter and gasket seat. Once the metal side hits that seat area is where the center plate would start to pull away from the filter. Whoever would try that trick, not once but twice would have to be a mechanical moron. I would think it would also do more damage to the outside of the filter to get that much torque as well.

Not only that, but I am sure there would be some residue on the filter showing it was used. My conclusion as to why they are not returned filters.

Dave

OK, shave my head, give me a sucker and call me Kojack. Went to auto parts store and they had ten model numbers of Bosch oil filters.

The 3323 was in a new box and had a concave shaped threaded end as well as the 3300 & 3310. All the others had a convex shaped end

as pictured. So the WINNER'S are the smart people who suggested that there was some sort of mix up somewhere, who knows where

and who cares. By the way the 3325 was convex and looked identical to the 3323 other than shape of threaded end.

went to the parts store where my purchase started this discussion:

Me: “I have a problem with an oil filter”

Clerk (Nick): “sure, what’s up?”

Me: “well, see this used 3353, this receipt for 2 new ones I bought here on Dec 13 and these two new 3353s?”

Nick: “What’s the problem?”

Me: “both of these new ones leaked. I thought maybe I messed up the seal on the first one so changed it quickly to not lose much of the new oil. See how the new ones are convex instead of concave like this old one? So I can’t get the seal tight”

Nick: “what vehicle is this from?”

Me: “not sure that matters, since here’s the old one that didn’t leak and here’s the new ones that do – it’s easy to see why and they’re all Bosch 3353s”

Manager: (who came up since I was on the only one at the counter) “Nick, start the refund process while I go check the filters”

Manager: (from the back of the store) “Nick – hold on”

Manager brings two new gray-boxed 3353 to the front counter; opens them, and they’re clearly concave.

Manager: “well I have never seen that before”

Me: “obviously me neither”

(several minutes of car guys picking up and looking at all the filters and their labels…)

Manager: “you want a refund?”

Me: “thanks, no – the right filters are all I need. Thanks for being so good about this”

And I go home with two new concave Bosch 3353 oil filters for my “vehicle”

thanks all for humoring me and goading me to follow up.

went to the parts store where my purchase started this discussion:
Me: “I have a problem with an oil filter”

Clerk (Nick): “sure, what’s up?”

Me: “well, see this used 3353, this receipt for 2 new ones I bought here on Dec 13 and these two new 3353s?”

Nick: “What’s the problem?”

Me: “both of these new ones leaked. I thought maybe I messed up the seal on the first one so changed it quickly to not lose much of the new oil. See how the new ones are convex instead of concave like this old one? So I can’t get the seal tight”

Nick: “what vehicle is this from?”

Me: “not sure that matters, since here’s the old one that didn’t leak and here’s the new ones that do – it’s easy to see why and they’re all Bosch 3353s”

Manager: (who came up since I was on the only one at the counter) “Nick, start the refund process while I go check the filters”

Manager: (from the back of the store) “Nick – hold on”

Manager brings two new gray-boxed 3353 to the front counter; opens them, and they’re clearly concave.

Manager: “well I have never seen that before”

Me: “obviously me neither”

(several minutes of car guys picking up and looking at all the filters and their labels…)

Manager: “you want a refund?”

Me: “thanks, no – the right filters are all I need. Thanks for being so good about this”

And I go home with two new concave Bosch 3353 oil filters for my “vehicle”

thanks all for humoring me and goading me to follow up.
Thanks for posting the update.
thumbsup_zps3bf1eb32.gif

That was pretty sweet, glas1/2ful. Nice detective work, and even better follow up.

I just checked the two gray box Bosch 3323 (you had a typo in the last post saying 3353) filters on my shelf and lucky for me they are both correctly concave on the bottom. Must have been a very limited run of defects. But you'll have us all checking them in the future. ;)

Great info and thanks for letting us know, you saved many from a frustrating episode and I for one really appreciate it.
specool.gif

Fred - thanks for catching the typo... you'd think this episode would burn that number in to what's left of my gray matter...

I have gained so much info (and laughs) from this forum over the years and contributed pretty much zilch, so glad I could help, if even just a tiny bit by finding some fluky mistake.

Glass1/2full, was that the place on Court St? I like them better than the one in Davis. I have never had a problem with Bosch filters. Pretty much exclusively use Pure Ones in all my vehicles

Glass1/2full, was that the place on Court St? I like them better than the one in Davis. I have never had a problem with Bosch filters. Pretty much exclusively use Pure Ones in all my vehicles
Nope - on Main St - I agree the folks behind the counter on Court St are knowledgeable and friendly, though this little problem was well-handled by their competitor I just habitually buy filters etc at the store on Main. sounds like we haunt some of the same places

Good info in this thread even if it did go NEPRT.

It made me run to the garage and check the con on the filter I just bought to see if it was cave or vex.

Thank goodness it was of the cave variety. Now I'll be able to sleep tonight.