Purolator L14610 - dont buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve in Phx

Reaction score
public service announcement...

I bought a handful of Purolator L14610 filters a while back. I read a cross reference sheet that said these will fit. There was no leak after the oil change but a week later I took a 500 mile ride and returned to find a puddle of oil under my bike in the garage.

I have used these filters in the past. I think they changed their design.

The metal filter body made contact with the union bolt, which in turn did not allow the rubber seal to seal all the way.

Dang, I took some pictures but can't find somewhere to post them for forum use. Oh well.

I replaced this with a Neutron Safeguard oil filter. It was the proper factory size and sealed well.

public service announcement...I bought a handful of Purolator L14610 filters a while back. I read a cross reference sheet that said these will fit. There was no leak after the oil change but a week later I took a 500 mile ride and returned to find a puddle of oil under my bike in the garage.

I have used these filters in the past. I think they changed their design.

The metal filter body made contact with the union bolt, which in turn did not allow the rubber seal to seal all the way.

Dang, I took some pictures but can't find somewhere to post them for forum use. Oh well.

I replaced this with a Neutron Safeguard oil filter. It was the proper factory size and sealed well.
There are a number of filters that used to be OK but now cause issues. The base plate went from being concave to convex resulting in the plate making contact before the gasket seals sufficiently. The union bolt can be modified - Norm Kern (I think) was selling them.

Edit: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/166564-fix-for-leaking-oil-filters/?hl=bolt

Details on union bolt

Threads on filters that leak (sure there are others, too)

Bosch

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/161314-bosch-3323-oil-filter

Purolator (14612 but similar to 14610)

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/163474-oil-filter-purolator-14612/

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Yamaha still fits. The old # is longer, the new # is shorter... but both work well. YMMV

I like the Mobil 1 M1-110. I get them when they are on sale and so far, there haven't been any issues with leaking (base is still concave).

I change the filter every second oil change as per Yamaha.

Yeah, I use the Mobil1 M1-110 on my Honda car and truck. But what the heck, for the cost difference, and how seldom you really need to change the oil on your FJR, why wouldn't you just use a Yamaha filter? (Unless you're Tony from Florida.............)

had the same problem...now use K&N
I lost faith in K&N after this, https://www.knfilters.com/recallkn204

They where banned from some tracks due to failure causing wreck's. Some other models with the spot welded nut outside of the recall had reported failure's. I couldn't get the one I had on my bike off fast enough. Now I have 6 of these POS's that are garbage bound. I could not in good faith even give them away even-though they are not on the recall list. The spot welded nut seamed like a great idea when I bought them. In hind sight it causes a weak spot were failure is possible. I just can't trust them now. YMMV

Just open the the box before you buy, or mod the union bolt. In recent year's some oil filter brands are changing ownership and factories like the weather. For example:the 6 POS K&N's I have are made in 3 different factories.
uhoh.gif

well, that skz.....hopefully they fixed the problem since the recall...I have used three recently with no problem..

They where banned from some tracks due to failure causing wreck's. Some other models with the spot welded nut outside of the recall had reported failure's. I couldn't get the one I had on my bike off fast enough. Now I have 6 of these POS's that are garbage bound. I could not in good faith even give them away even-though they are not on the recall list. The spot welded nut seamed like a great idea when I bought them. In hind sight it causes a weak spot were failure is possible. I just can't trust them now. YMMV

Just open the the box before you buy, or mod the union bolt. In recent year's some oil filter brands are changing ownership and factories like the weather. For example:the 6 POS K&N's I have are made in 3 different factories.
uhoh.gif

The K & N oil filter failures were caused by a manufacturing defect. Only filters manufactured in 2016 were affected. Yamaha has had recalls, does that mean you don't trust Yamaha motorcycles?

uhoh.gif
The K & N oil filter failures were caused by a manufacturing defect. Only filters manufactured in 2016 were affected. Yamaha has had recalls, does that mean you don't trust Yamaha motorcycles?

dravnx, I hear you. It's not so much they were recalled but that it opened my eyes to the fact that spot welding that nut piece on the housing is cause for higher percentage of a failure. JMHO. YMMV. For me I couldn't get the vision of that housing springing a leak at that nut out of my head. I think it's a bad design so I choose not to use them or any other filter with a nut spot welded on the housing. YMMV. I know I have issues.
smile.png

The nut on the oil filter was designed for easy off. It was never designed to be used for installation. Properly installed K & N filters will not leak. I'm not a K & N proponent but I do believe in critical thinking. Glad you acknowledge your issues. Keep up the therapy.

The nut on the oil filter was designed for easy off. It was never designed to be used for installation. Properly installed K & N filters will not leak. I'm not a K & N proponent but I do believe in critical thinking. Glad you acknowledge your issues. Keep up the therapy.
I'm not even talking about install/removal. I'm talking about weakening the housing with a spot weld. Of course cranking on the nut to install is plain stupid. Put some more smiles in your simple math.