Brake Light Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TucsonFJR

Reaction score
I need help gentlemen. I was riding around town yesterday when I noticed my brake lights don't work. The tail lights are fine but the brakes won't illuminate when you squeeze the front lever or the rear lever. :angry2: Also I noticed that the dash area lights don't work also. The high beam light and the neutral light work but no speedo or clock area lights. What gives? :blink: I checked all the fuses and they are fine. The bulbs are fine. I looked in the shop manual and got negative help from the flow charts. Any ideas where else to start from would help.

Your 'Signaling System' 15 amp fuse is likely open (blown). This fuse powers the following:

-- brake lights

-- horns

-- meter backlighting

-- accessory glove box solenoid release

This fuse is on the top row, second fuse from the left.

Problem solved. I checked these fuses when they were in their holders. Everything came up fine. When I removed it, I found that the 15 amp was blown. What a dumbass I feel like. This bike just went out of warranty 2 weeks ago and I was already thinking that this was going to be a major problem. Sorry about the scare and thank you for making me do what I should have done in the first place. If ya ever pass though Tucson look me up. Ice cold Coronas will be waiting. :drinks:

Hold on, you're not done yet. Check to see if you can figger out why it blew. Inspect wiring etc for the affected components. Fuses don't blow of their own accord-something occurs to make them toast. Try and find out why, as best you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hold on, your not done yet. Check to see if you can figger out why it blew. Inspect wiring etc for the affected components. Fuses don't blow of their own accord-something occurs to make them toast. Try and find out why, as best you can.
Screw that...I want beer. Been riding up near mt. lemon recently? Have you gotten..."peaced" by some glass eyed freak in a blue dodge dakota recently? Them twisties are nice, ain't they? :dribble:

+1 rad. make sure you find out why the fuse blew -- fuses are cheap, and that's why they're designed that way. If something else is shorted -- you may end up toasting a harness or something far more expensive.