Break in oil change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunk43

Reaction score
With all plugs safely removed the fluids are now draining......

Noticed that the crush washers from the gear drain and fill were turned with the little lip away from the

head of the plugs and the lip was against the head on the oil drain plug....... does it really matter ??

Anyway all is going well was a little concerned after I had read some post on over torqued drain plugs from the factory.

With all plugs safely removed the fluids are now draining......

Noticed that the crush washers from the gear drain and fill were turned with the little lip away from the

head of the plugs and the lip was against the head on the oil drain plug....... does it really matter ??

Anyway all is going well was a little concerned after I had read some post on over torqued drain plugs from the factory.
SOP is to have the 'flat' side of the crush washer against the case, with the 'bump' or more rounded side against the bolt flange.

That being said, I've yet to see an 'incorrectly' oriented fresh crush washer seep oil, as long as it is installed firmly!

Incidentally, the factory-specified 31ft-lb for the crankcase oil drain bolt may be considered a bit excessive. :blink: I just tighten it until I feel the crush washer flatten out, which happens quite a bit before 31ft-lbs

Well I don't think it matters but I do put the wider flange (lip) against the aluminum and the narrow flange against the steel(plug). My reason is that the wider flange might be less likely to dig into the softer material of the engine or final drive housing than would the narrow flange. That said, I don't think it matters, but I've always done it that way (26 oil changes) and I'm not likely to change.

Well I don't think it matters but I do put the wider flange (lip) against the aluminum and the narrow flange against the steel(plug). My reason is that the wider flange might be less likely to dig into the softer material of the engine or final drive housing than would the narrow flange. That said, I don't think it matters, but I've always done it that way (26 oil changes) and I'm not likely to change.
I agree, keep the largest bearing surface against the softest material.

[

I've been using 17 ft. lbs. of torque on the oil drain plug and have not had any leaks or problems.

The 31 ft. lbs spec. in the owners manual seems Way to much..

The owners manual spec. for the Final Gear Oil Filler & Drain bolt is 17 ft. lbs. . Same size bolt ,same crush washer.

Last edited by a moderator:
[

I've been using 17 ft. lbs. of torque on the oil drain plug and have not had any leaks or problems.

The 31 ft. lbs spec. in the owners manual seems Way to much..

The owners manual spec. for the Final Gear Oil Filler & Drain bolt is 17 ft. lbs. . Same size bolt ,same crush washer.
That's what I've been doing also. 31 ft/lbs seems really tight when 17 ft/lbs is doing the same job on the final drive.