Bridgestone T31 GT or T31 non-GT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a little late to the party.

my question is, What does the GT mean?    (Girls Tire)

When I bought the bike last December the PO gave me a new front BS 023 GT.

I just did tires and ordered the BS T31 non GT rear from RMATV.

History

The bike had Michelin non GT on the front and a BS 023GT on the rear.

Now

The bike has a BS 023 GT on the front and a BS T31 non GT on the rear.

Should I have matched ?

John

I haven't matched tires in years and never had any concerns from doing so.  Moreover I think you might get better set-up when not doing so.  Currently I have a T31 EVO on the front matched to a Michelin PR5 in the rear.  (Or is it a 4?  :unknw: )

As far as GT versions, I believe these give you a reinforced sidewall to compensate for the heavier tourers.  How much they're reinforced over non-GTs I don't know.  I've read many opinions on them and have tried variations for myself.  Personally I didn't see any noticeable difference in how much mileage I got out of either although I "believe" the non-GTs gave a somewhat more compliant ride.  Hard to say though as any new tire is going to feel better than an old, matching GTs or not.

As BigOgre says, matching is totally unnecessary. 

"GT" (presumably "Grand Tourer") denotes a tyre built with a stronger carcass, intended for a heavier bike. Many will say this includes the FJR. Personally I prefer a non-GT, but my bike is never heavily laden, I am never two-up, and weigh about 150 pounds, with a few more for luggage when touring. Of course, my decision has nothing to do with the price premium on the GTs.