Burning Plastic Smell

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperbike

Reaction score
For the last two weeks, I notice a smell from the bike as if a grocery bag had stuck to the exhaust and continued to smolder. There is no debris anywhere that I can see, and there is no performance problem or overheating. I walk around the bike sticking my face in the crevices but cannot determine where the odor is coming from. :unsure: It definetly is the bike. Anybody else ever experience this?

Thumper -

Try pulling the tank like TWN says -

The last time I pulled mine, I had about 20 ft of TOILET PAPER stuffed into the airspace between the valve covers and the heat shield -

I'm not quite certain if it was used or not - :dribble:

Haven't done anything but ride for the last two months. Last service 1500 miles ago was an oil change, no new farkles, etc.

If the temps have dropped inyour area, it COULD be condensation gathered in the mufflers. Every Fall there are reports of a bad odor and most turn out to be the exhaust odor from moisture condensed in the cats that is burning out into steam.

Have you gotten new boots or riding pants as of late? I just replaced my boots and since I have water skies for feet, avoiding the exhaust is next to impossible. While my heals arn'tt ouching the exhaust, they are close enough to make the sole's give off some burning funk smell.

Also, +1 on rain/water on the exhaust. Everytime I ride in the rain, that smell shows up till I wash the bike off.

It doesn't rain here. :rolleyes: No new boots or gear. What MM says makes the most sense, but like a burned bag? I fear it is the smell of insulation coming off a wire. If so, an issue may manifest itself in an unpleasant way.

Have you gotten new boots or riding pants as of late? I just replaced my boots and since I have water skies for feet, avoiding the exhaust is next to impossible. While my heals arn'tt ouching the exhaust, they are close enough to make the sole's give off some burning funk smell.
Calimus, you ned to do THIS! The voice of experience from a rider who wears size 14 boots.....

It doesn't rain here. :rolleyes: No new boots or gear. What MM says makes the most sense, but like a burned bag? I fear it is the smell of insulation coming off a wire. If so, an issue may manifest itself in an unpleasant way.
Yeah...like hot, wet rags. Actually pretty foul. Not like the sulfur smell of automobile cats, but still quite a stench. It happens hefre when the ambient temps drop, but we have a higher humidity than you. Next time it happens, smell the exhaust and see if that's it.

I think if it were insulation, you would be able to locate the smell under the tank, around the dash, etc., or see some smoke of some kind.

Please report back here when you find the origin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I have smelled the exhaust (after I shut it off) and I did not detect the odour. I was very careful of nose placement as it were. This is what is baffeling, the smell is nowhere, rather everywhere. I park in the garage and immediately after my arrival, IT lives.

I may be mistaken but didn't some owners on this site have the same type problem that was traced to the foam that yamaha placed between some of the body parts/panels?

I am one of those who had smoke coming out by the kick stand. It turned out to be the foam rubber that Yamaha uses had touched a tail pipe and would really smell. It finally turned to smoke so it was easier to find. I ride an 07.

Mac

Found it! Glanced down while walking by and saw some brown on the front of the muffler. I swear this was not there before. Every time I had tried to find it before, the pipe was hot and keeping the goo clear so I could not see it. So it was just what it smelled like, plastic on the exhaust and just needed time to burn to brown. Thanks for all the educated guesses.

Good thing ya found it Thumper...I was going to suggest to check your wallet for a smoking credit card ! Ya never know with Fred Farkle, Fanny Farkle and Sparkle Farkle just beggin for attention..I see its all good now though ! :clapping:

Blessings,

Bobby