C14 / FJR Comparison - From Fred?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temp357

Reaction score
I came across this on the C14 forum...read on below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C14 and FJR comparison by owner of both

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a guy (Fred H.) that posts to a GL 1800 forum that also owns an 06 FJR and now a C-14. I haven't seen him on this forum. I hope to not violate any forum protocols by copying his remarks here. But, I thought he offered good insight. I also have a GL 1800 and expect to pick up my C-14 next week. I debated with myself long and hard about the C-14 vs. FJR and decided to hold out for the Kawasaki. So, I appreciated his comments and maybe some of you will too. Here is what he posted to the GL 1800 forum:

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:59 am Post subject: 08 C14 Concours vs 06 FJR

Several folks have asked me how the two bikes compare, and I have been keeping some notes on the differences. So instead of writing a long winded review, I think I will just post my notes.

I now have ove 1,000 miles on the C14, so I have a pretty good feel for how it rides and handles. I will probably amend this list as time goes on.

In the final analysis, both are excellent bikes, but I find the C14 is just more fun and pleasant to ride. That is about as plain as I can put it. Not intended to be a jab on the FJR in any way at all, just my own impression.

Here are the notes:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

06 Yamaha FJR / 08 C14 Kawasaki Concours

Immensely better power delivery/throttle control on C14. FJR lurches and is jerky where C14 power is delivered smooth as glass and very predictable, very linear (which is the exact opposite of FJR). This is probably the one of the biggest problems with the FJR, and the C14 is just so much easier to ride at all speeds compared to the FJR due to its smooth power delivery.

Throttle springs on FJR are very stiff, C14 hs much lighter throttle action

Clutch feel is vastly different on two bikes. FJR clutch has shorter engagement range, and engages and disengages closer to the

bar. C14 clutch has a wider engagement zone, and engagement occurs further out in the release. Clutch pull on FJR is markedly stiffer than C14 as well.

Engine/transmission on C14 MUCH smoother. Zero vibration on C14 from engine. FJR engine has some minor buzz around 4Krpm (even

after throttle body sync and foam grips).

Less heat on FJR, engine appears to run cooler in traffic as well. C14 heats up easily at slow speeds. Heat wafts off sides of bike into cockpit, side panels and tank get warm. I wouldn't say the C14 gets hot, but it does give off more heat than the 06 FJR.

C14 handles better in all aspects, more crisp and eager to carve corners, more confident inspiring. FJR feels sluggish by

comparison. C14 turn in better, and less top heavy feel at speed.

C14 much more nimble, light feeling, easier to get turned in, better overall handling. FJR turn in feels slow by comparison

C14 suspension is better sprung (stiffer spring rates)

FJR feels more top heavy, even when moving. This really impacts handling in a negative way on FJR. Battery is mounted up high on FJR as is the gas tank. Battery is in center of bike on C14 (where is should be) and half the gas is under the seat. This results in a lower center of gravity and better mass centralization, and greatly improves overall handling. C14 feels less top heavy at parking lot speed as a result too, especially when the gas tank is full on both bikes.

Balance - This is what I think makes this bike handle like it does. The lower center of gravity really seems to pay off. This is most evident out on the road and when you want to flick the bike from full left lean to full right lean. The FJR by comparison seems slow and hard to get turned in and top heavy.

C14 feels more planted at speed and seems to track better, yet feels more willing to lean over and nimble in corners

C14 does not suffer from coast down headshake wobble with hands off bars. FJR can have a pretty severe wobble during coast down, (45-38mph) which is better/worse depending on tires used. Need to test C14 with different tire brands to see if any wobble appears, but with the OEM Bridgestones, it is solid as a rock with not even a hint of wobble.

Upside down forks on C14 seem to result in less fork flex and more precise steering control and contribute to overall better

handling of c14

ABS and brakes on both bikes are superb and work well. FJR has linked front and rear brakes (which I actually like), C14 does not.

C14 brakes feel just a bit stronger on initial bite. Both bikes use seperate brake pads for each piston on front brakes.

FJR has twin rear spring design with two positions, hard and soft, that lock one of the springs in or out. C14 has single spring with nearly infinite adjustable pre-load settings. Both FJR and C14 have rebound damper adjustments on rear shock. Overall, springs on C14 feel like they are stiffer than on the FJR, both front and rear.

6 speed transmission on C14 is a nice plus, and at 4K rpm in 6th bike is about 81-82 mph (85 indicated on speedo) on C14. 6th gear truly is an overdrive gear on this bike.

Lack of fairing tip over protection on both bikes, they need to take notice of the ST1300 built in protection

FJR is narrower in both seat and overall bike width

FJR is about a half in less reach to the ground than C14

Stock seat on C14 is immensely better than FJR. It has a better shape (slightly cupped) as well as better foam density. FJR seat

is narrow, flat and very hard.

C14 riding position slightly more leaned forward with knees bent just a bit more. FJR has adjustable seat and bars, C14 does not.

Stock wind protection (shield) slightly better on FJR, but both bikes need upgraded Cee Baileys shields on them for any serious

long distance touring riding.

Electric windshield on both works nice. FJR screen/mechanism seems to vibrate a bit more at speed though where the C14 mechanism

doesn't

Range on FJR is about 25-30 miles more, due to larger gas tank by .8 gallons (6.6 on FJR vs 5.8 on C14)

Glove box on FJR is where it belongs and locks automatically when bike shut off (nice touch Yamaha). C14 glove box blocks tank bag

use, and can’t lock, and sort of spoils the look of the bike somewhat

Saddlebag latches and bag operation smoother on C14 and easier to use. Saddlebag lids close easier, and latches catch and operate

better.

C14 has a more exposed radiator that looks like it could easily get damaged, needs better front fender. FJR radiator is also pretty exposed, though not as bad in the lower area as the C14.

No compression damping adjustments for forks on C14 that I have found, FJR has them

No perceptible drive line lash on C14 at all, FJR has significant amount of drive line lash that can upset balance in turns from

throttle transitions.

Tetra lever rear drive on C14 eliminates all drive induced suspension problems, and makes bike feel like it has a chain drive

Bags feel just a bit more roomy on C14 but they stick out a bit further making the bike wider. Back of bags on C14 are angled

inward some, so from the rear of the bike, you can actually see part of the sides of the bags. FJR bags are in tighter to the frame making the bike narrower overall.

Rake/Trail on C14 is 26.1 degrees/4.4 inches

Rake/Trail on FJR is 26 degrees/4.3 inches

Mirrors partially blocked on C14 by saddlebags. FJR mirrors give better view. Both have some buzz in them at speed.

No helmet locks provide on either bike

No outside air temp indicator on C14, FJR has one. This is one feature I really do miss

Stock BT021 tire on C14 stick very well, with nice feel

Paint on C14 less susceptible to swirl and scratch marks, FJR paint very soft and easy to scratch

Headlights on both bikes are very good. My initial feeling is they are about equal.

Tail lights on C14 are LED and mounted at less of a downward angle than the FJR's, but FJR tail light has more surface area, and

seems to be a bit brighter

turn signal indicators on dash on C14 are much brighter and easier to see than FJR

Horns on both bikes is way too wimpy and needs to be replaced right away. This is a safety concern in my opinion on both.

Tire pressure system on C14 already saved me once, not offered on FJR

Gear indicators on both bikes, nice touch

LCD display on FJR offers same info but is better laid out, C14 requires scrolling through several screens and I miss the outside

temp display

Speedo error on both bikes is about the same, reads 4-5mph high at 70mph

C14 speedo has larger numbers on it, and is easier to read

C14 goes up on centerstand much easier, but no grab bar is provided like on the FJR. A girl could put the C14 up on it's

centerstand. FJR require much more effort.

For me, the FJR seems to have a better overall look to the bike, but that is highly subjective. The C14 looks more like a sport

bike, which can attract unwanted attention from LEO.

Both bikes are relatively quiet. Huge muffler on C14 may be controversial in looks, but it seems to work well, and its size no

longer bothers me any.

Controls on both bikes nearly identical right down to the flasher and windshield switch. C14 has a high beam flash to pass switch

on the front side of left grip that FJR does not.

Oil/filter change easy to do on both bikes, no plastic to remove

Engine on C14 is much harder to access and will make maintenance harder on this bike.

First valve check on c14 is 24K miles. Not sure yet how much work it entails, but I suspect it will be harder than on the FJR.

C14 comes with NGK Iridium plugs stock (that will last longer), FJR comes with standard copper core NGK's

Both bikes have their fuel pressure regulator mounted in the tank with the fuel pump, which means there is not fuel return line, making tank removal easier

Fred H.

1983 VF 1100C

1997 535 Virago

2000 FXDWG

2002 GL 1800

2008 C-14

Last edited by a moderator:
I sat on a C14 at a dealership in Pennsylvania yesterday. For those short of inseam (like me) the bike feels almost an inch taller than my '05 FJR and feels heavier pulling it upright off the sidestand. Interesting thing is that I sat on a preproduction model at Americade and it was definitely lower in seat height and felt lighter than the one in the dealership; more like the weight of the FJR. Kawasaki assured me the Americade bike was a running working motorcycle, as they were only allowed to start and run it to get it in and out of the truck.

I've read his report previously. I thought it was really good. I'm considering an '07 FJR or C-14 myself. The comment about the C-14's engine heat bothered me, although it sounds like it might be more fun to drive. I think I'll hold out for the next generation of both before making my decision.

I held out to see what the C14 was going to be about and in the end I did not care for how it looks. Sorry but a bike must grab me and make me say wow and the C14 just didn't do it. The FJR on the other hand is gorgeous. The muffler/can on the C14 is hideous and I don't like the fins/vents on the sides and bags.

I pick up my FJR on Saturday and can't wait.

I also have been looking at the fjr and the c14 hands down the fjr has it for looks and the fjr has been around for a few years im not sure about the reialibilty of the c14 long haul and what about fuel mileage ???? its really hard to pick my next bike

I also had a chance to check out the C14, and found out a couple things I haven't seen mentioned yet.

1) 90 Octane pump gas

2) I witnessed the salesman install the hard bags backwards :eek: I swear to god he was able to put the right bag on the left side, etc. Latched them and everything. There's gonna be a lot of posts on the C14 forums about losing bags!!

John

Darn good write up and thorough comparison from someone who apparently has logged some real time into both bikes.

Just my $.02 - but the C14 just doesn't have the looks to match the FJR - I really don't care for the exhaust set up - I think they should have balanced it out with a dual setup like the FJR - I'm not a fan of the raised "ribbing" on the sidebags - I think they carry it over from the fairing design. After seeing the C14 online at Kawasaki.com I wasn't even interested in going to visit the dealer to look at one. To each thier own I guess - but I've had nothing but compliments on my '07 FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Fred has written a good comparison . I think it will be interesting to see how well it sells and what Yamaha and Honda respond with .I think heat will be a big issue,but reliability is a question that no one can answer.

Just for you information in Australia ,the Kawasaki and Yamaha are about the same in price about $24,500 out the door ,at the curent exchange rate that about US $21,500 including our 10 % tax so do not complain about what you have to pay.

I think Fred has written a good comparison . I think it will be interesting to see how well it sells and what Yamaha and Honda respond with .I think heat will be a big issue,but reliability is a question that no one can answer.
Just for you information in Australia ,the Kawasaki and Yamaha are about the same in price about $24,500 out the door ,at the curent exchange rate that about US $21,500 including our 10 % tax so do not complain about what you have to pay.
$14K here in the Motherland....