Cam Chain Tensioner Replace and Valve Clearance Check

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red2kcbr

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to FJRBluesman and HaulinAshe for their excellent write ups on changing the CCT, and to Warchild for hosting all the informative how-to articles. The text and pictures were very helpful.

CCT was straight-forward, no issues encountered. We followed the suggestion to open the oil pump cover on the right side of the engine to immobilize the cam chain, however we did not need to remove the clutch cover.

While we were there, we decided to replace the thermostat and spark plugs, since it's all accessible. Also did the smog plumbing mod, using rubber plugs from O'Reilly's and reusing the hose clamps from the smog tubes. Much neater under the tank now. Throttle body sync is much easier.

We used the valve clearance write up on Warchild's tech site, the how-to done by TORCH. On my 42K-mile '05, all valve clearances were within the specs in the article. Again, easy to follow and very helpful.

Wound up buying the CCT, the CCT gasket, the CCT retaining bolts, and the oil pump cover gasket. That was it for Yamaha parts, from MRCycles. Oh, yeah, that 8mm ratcheting box-end from O'Reilly's was worth the 13 bucks it cost. Saved a lot of time and cussing. I found the best price for NGK Iridium CR8EIX plugs on Amazon, of all places. Who knew? I usually buy Kindle books from Amazon.

I was fortunate to have my son wrenching while I read and checked the texts, otherwise it would have taken me twice as long. He's a trained technician, whereas I'm just a software puke.

I do all my own work on the FJR so far, relying on the excellent info on this site and Warchild's how-to repository.

I was REALLY thinking about a '14, but decided to check the valve clearance on this bike first. It's set up like I want, Wilbur's shock and fork springs, Holeshots, PCIII, GPS mount, yadda yadda. And it runs just fine. So, I made the right choice for me. I'll rock this one a few more years, then we'll see.

Thanks for an informative and useful site.
smile.png

Also did the smog plumbing mod, using rubber plugs from O'Reilly's and reusing the hose clamps from the smog tubes.
Make sure you pull up the tank in a year and check those rubber plugs. I did after two years and every one of them was dry rotted and cracked through. I bought some high temp silicone ones from McMaster this time around. Great to hear of people tackling these jobs themselves though, bravo!

thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to check on the condition of those plugs. I do a TB sync at least once a year, so no problem checking.