Can anyone help? Looking for help picking a new Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love my CB +4 +4 Plenty big for cold weather and you still get a lot of air with it in the "down" position (I'm 6'2")

So here is what I came up with regarding all the info and input. I purchased a Calsci Large for my 08 FJR. It so far has been one of the best decisions that I think I have made regarding accessories. I find that while at highway speeds with the windshield in the full up postition I am looking through it and have little or no buffeting on my helmet now. The windshield stay firm and doesn't move or flutter even at speeds up to 90 mi. Great job California Scientific!

This subject is right up there with oil and tires for NEPRT status. I've had a VStream and a CalSci medium besides OEM, plus briefly ridden with a Cee Bailey, both with and without the Laminar Lip. I found the CalSci to be the quietest and most protective, plus I could leave it on year around. With the VStream I change back to stock for the hot months (of course here, the hot months are also the dry months). Personal taste. I suggest borrowing/switching with friends as much as possible. Somebody else's opinion doesn't really help that much on something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think of all the topics discussed on this board, windshields is the most confusing. Everyone seems to have their favorite and that makes it a difficult choice for those of us looking for something better. I too am frustrated by the noise I'm getting during my rides. I have the Yamaha touring windshield, which is about 4" taller than the stock on my 07. While at highway speeds the noise is so much that I can't hear the engine. If I shrug my shoulders, dropping down about and inch or two, the wind noise dissipates and I can hear the hum of the engine. So one would conclude that I need a windshield that is a couple of inches taller. But I think the design plays an important roll in airflow and there might be another windshield out there that is the same height as mine, but would function better. I have looked at the CB reverse flip for this reason. I don't want to have to get a windshield any taller than necessary. When the summer heats up here in Florida and you are cruising surface streets, you need as much airflow as possible to stay cool. I'm also curious about the fact that so many get windshields that are not only taller, but wider as well. Where does this come into play. Are you getting too much airflow around the sides? Does this contribute to the noise factor? My touring windshield is almost the same width as the stock and I feel very little air coming around the sides. I'm 6'1" and relatively slim build, so perhaps width is not as much a concern for me.

I guess I would be interested in hearing from those of you that have tried windshields that were basically the same height from different manufacturers. Would also be curious as to why so many go with much wider windshields.

DaveB

You are correct that many factors come into play on a windshield - seat height, torso length, helmet, jacket choice, and personal preference

For those researchign / considering a new shield

In terms of shields with a flip - I've posted elsewhere on this. I started with a Concours which had a stock screen with reverse flip. Other than occassional draft down the back of my jacket, it was fine. But the buffetting for pillion was really bad. Hence my switching to a Rifle on the Concours (and loving that for over 10 years) and promptly getting one of rmy FJR within days of getting my new bike. https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fairing.html in the Aerodynamics explains this quite well. So I would never consider a reverse lip screen.

Be sure to consider those who have tried all of the different screens and what they prefer (like Fairlainer)

I tried a FJR with the V-stream and did not like the side buffetting (I have a 2-piece RoadCrafter which is just a little large on me which most likely influenced this)

So YMMV but be sure to include impact to a passenger if that applies to you.

I put on a CalSci tall on my 09FJR. I'm 5'9" and about half way up the road noise goes away. Like it so far.

I bought the Yamaha Touring shield right after buying my '08. I'm really sick of it, it's noisy, I get beat-up by the buffeting. After talking with Fairlaner, I've ordered a new Rifle +5 +4 with a light tint. At 6'4" and 260lbs and I'm tired of being beat up by noise and wind. I hope Richard is right. My Rifle should be delivered by next Wednesday and I'll give it a try.

After the Rifle, my next upgrade will be a new Russell all leather custom seat. I'd order that right now also, except I might miss the BMW Roadrunner ride in May.

After the Rifle, my next upgrade will be a new Russell all leather custom seat. I'd order that right now also, except I might miss the BMW Roadrunner ride in May.
I'm sure the build dates are well into June by now, but I'd go ahead and put my name in the queue, and you can always ask to have your date pushed to a later date if it conflicts with your trip.

I bought the Cee Bailey's +4/+2 a month after bringing the bike home last summer. It was fine. A noted improvement for me over the stock screen. (6' even and 30" inseam)

I ran this all winter, rode through the 20's and it was fine. Even in 100+ degrees, it allowed enough cooling air when down to be comfortable around town.

I was always hunting for the sweet spot in regards to wind noise, though. There is a sweet spot, but it obviously varies with road speed.

Then I started experimenting with different hearing protection options to limit wind noise. I found some 33 db reduction el cheapo disposable foamies that were the ticket. Suddenly I was very happy with my combo.

Then I caught a mild case of farkleitis and ordered a V-Stream, figuring the price was good and I could just resell it if need be.

WOW! What a dramatic difference (for me) over the Cee Bailey's!

Less back pressue on my, ah... back, when up. Shorter overall height, so when down my helmet is in clean air (quieter) and the wind blast lands nicely on my upper chest/shoulders. That said, you can obviously fine tune this wind blast effect by positioning the screen up or down to your liking.

I can say that wind noise, overall (in all positions) is less with the Vstream than with the Cee Bailey's. I suspect this is due to my Cee Bailey's having the "flip", which I'm guessing makes the air tumble a bit more over the top.

My wife also noted a difference between the screens - she feels the V-Stream is a bit more comfortable and quieter from the pillion. :)

Obviously, your results WILL vary. Getting your bike set up comfortably for you is a quest. one in which only so much of the available information is useful. Ultimately, you need to step up, buy things and try things. It's always smart to seek opinions prior to laying down the dracma, but in the end, no one else's experiences and set ups will be perfect for you.

Also, beware - if you find your ideal windscreen, then next year buy an aftermarket seat, this might upset your ideal world due to an increased seat height. ;) Such is the battle of customizing a bike to your own back side... :D

After spending some time riding the RT and LT I am pretty sure there is no windshield that will give us that level of wind protection. Only long term issue I have not been able to fix given my height. I had to raise the seat and I have a tall torso so I need to break a prety big hole in the wind.I am using the CalSci +5.5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vstream...at first seem a bit too big, but after traveling with it for a while it is a perfect change from the original windshield.
Agree 100% I just put a V Stream on my new 09 about a week ago, as far as looks I don't like it as much as the stock. Upon the road test I was amazed that raising the windshield eliminates 95% of all the wind noise for me. I'm 5'10 and use a Arai Quantium II which is on the noisy side but learning to really like the V Stream.

I love my calsci.
+1

I have a +4+3 and it is great. All the way up keeps the wet stuff off, or I usually keep it where I can see over the top and it still routes the airflow over my helmet. I have the reverse flip model with no tint.

I did not do much comparison other than reading up on the websites and of course here, then made my decision and ordered along with their headlight protectors.

Only issue is the first one they sent was broken at one of the screw holes, but they sent me a new one right away and had the old one picked up, no problem.

got a ceebailey +4+2 flip coming tomorrow. took the stock shield off tonight. anybody know what the purpose of that foam thing/gasket is that is affixed to the lower part of the shield? it only covers about half of the area where the shield contacts the mounting bracket.

thinking of installing the new shield without the gasket thing as it seems that the nuts which are rubberized where they contact the shield in the mounting bracket already have spacing so the shield is not in direct contact with the metal mounting plate that moves up and down. anybody tried this? see any problems doing it? i know a gasket is only about $4 at my yami dealer, but, hey, that is a couple of beers we are talking about.

New Owner of a 2008 FJR and hate the stock windshield. It makes a lot of noise and buffeting at any speed above 40 mph. I'm 5'9" tall and a 30" inseam. I don't care about the looks so much but do care about the function the most. What can be said for the comparison of Rifle, CeeBailey, CalSci, VStream? Is there any one source that compares the four or more?
I bought a V-Stream for my Gen I, works well, too well at times

It blocks out a lot of air, which is good when the weather sucks, but not so good on a smoking hot day!

Givi is now offering a slightly taller than stock shield with a lip up top to move air better

Don't know how well it works, but the price is reasonable if you shop around

I reccomend keeping the stock shiled for short rides on ho days, you'll be thankful for the extra air B) B)

got a ceebailey +4+2 flip coming tomorrow. took the stock shield off tonight. anybody know what the purpose of that foam thing/gasket is that is affixed to the lower part of the shield? it only covers about half of the area where the shield contacts the mounting bracket.
thinking of installing the new shield without the gasket thing as it seems that the nuts which are rubberized where they contact the shield in the mounting bracket already have spacing so the shield is not in direct contact with the metal mounting plate that moves up and down. anybody tried this? see any problems doing it? i know a gasket is only about $4 at my yami dealer, but, hey, that is a couple of beers we are talking about.
The Yama Tall shield didn't come with a gasket and it had a very annoying whistle.