Can You See Me Now?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodyPecker

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Installed the Darla lights on fork mounts and must say the guys at Clearwater Lights did an excellent job on a ride-in installation. I only live an hour away! Getting both side faring panels plus the dash panel off the FJR to get access to the headlight relays to tap into was a bit of a challenge. They spent their time and did a very clean install, not only in getting the wiring harness secure and tucked solidly away, but finding the one area to accommodate running harness to the dimmer knob in a location that is accessible but inconspicuous. This was only at the inboard rear corner of the glovebox panel, and they needed a low-profile (on the inside harness-side) dimmer knob to fit in the available clearance. The lights themselves are fantastic and I really like the Hi-Viz cover lenses (that are a special color the owner Glenn Stasky researched from I think a BMW study about what color drew the most attention from oncoming drivers) that slip on quickly, or can be removed if you just want the white LEDs shining. The lights have a nice range of adjustment through the dimmer knob, from low “see, I’m here” levels to full bright light-up-the-road level, and they are also tapped into the highbeam circuit so they go to full brightness if the highbeams are activated. This is a very well-designed and executed product, and I think the install if manageable if you know electrical, have schematics, and have strong little fingers. Getting the headlight relays back into their slots after the Posi-taps are installed is a trick. I'm a fluids and filters kind of guy, so electrical is opaque to me. But should be cake for all you farkle nuts though! My night riding is definitely easier, and I know I'm more visible during the day with or without the yellow covers, but that Hi-Viz is really a cool color
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNk2rQIfBSc0QtOxQ80gPJDx9ZU6PHCDQ1SgXxf/photo/AF1QipNAGtHkuNIR3vhDP9y3cYayynGkBaC9zP1DDCGD

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNk2rQIfBSc0QtOxQ80gPJDx9ZU6PHCDQ1SgXxf/photo/AF1QipPcN3BQmFbdUxaubzEaZ1qNp7CRwMYsEtvAxE_U

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNk2rQIfBSc0QtOxQ80gPJDx9ZU6PHCDQ1SgXxf/photo/AF1QipNksEO18TnIsZ_2QsDyqf7_3Krub4_l_hLWAKw6

Google is an unfriendly place for sharing photos with the Forum.

Places like Photobucket do a better job, just be sure that your picture links end in .jpg, bmp, gif, png -- must be thee characters after the . (jpeg won't fly) and nothing more after the three characters. Also, the sharing site must be set for 'public' or equivalent so that passwords aren't needed.

Try this, which is a test for a shared folder i created in gooogle photos app. It has the https, but i definitely created a shared folder. Also apologize if the photo file size is too large. I had resized the photos on my PC when i created the original post links but I can't access those right now so these are the original full-size photos from my phone. Please dont flame me if this doesnt work, noobs need time sometimes to get their stuff right

https://goo.gl/photos/2XjLarXwqMESC7Uy5

And Ionbeam, your reply occured whilst i was in the process of setting up the shared folder so didn't see your comment about Photobucket until I had already posted. I will investigate Photobucket if that's easier. Thanks for your help

Hey mcatrophy! Ive been looking for the "mcatrophy mod" I saw one time regarding your modification of the straps to keep the hard bag doors from going beyond 90 degrees when opened but I couldn't find it now that i want to do that (and man I really searched for it!) Could you help me find that post? thanks a lot!

Try this, which is a test for a shared folder i created...
https://goo.gl/photos/2XjLarXwqMESC7Uy5

And Ionbeam, your reply occured whilst i was in the process of setting up the shared folder so didn't see your comment about Photobucket until I had already posted. I will investigate Photobucket if that's easier. Thanks for your help
Half way there, the shared folder link works and people can click onto the album but the file name doesn't end in the allowed extensions so it can't be shown in the Forum. Some people don't find Photobucket intuitive at first but it does brute force work and is a 'throw-away' host if it doesn't work out for ya.

Hey mcatrophy! Ive been looking for the "mcatrophy mod"...but I couldn't find it
Mc's web site is currently in distress and he's waiting for his web person who is on a walk-about to get home and fix it for 'im. Could take a number of days before it's back up and running.

Edit: I just went to Photobucket to link some Aux. light pictures and discovered they say the site is down for maintenance. Don't it just figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats strange, since in details each photo has a .jpg extension. I may just create a shared folder in Dropbox since i find sharing and working with that app easy and predictable. I gotta work sometime now i guess, so will figger this out later. Maybe Photobucket will be working by then too!

Hey mcatrophy! Ive been looking for the "mcatrophy mod" I saw one time regarding your modification of the straps to keep the hard bag doors from going beyond 90 degrees when opened but I couldn't find it now that i want to do that (and man I really searched for it!) Could you help me find that post? thanks a lot!
ionbeam is right, my web site is having a bit of digital apoplexy, however I've put a few pics on a temporary site (see my sig line), using those I reproduce my original post but with the temporary site's pictures:
When I first got my FJR, if I put lots of junk in my side case, when I opened it, it usually deposited its load all over the road because the lid opened too far.

(Click on any image for a larger view)

A very simple, 1 minute, no tools required, modification improves the angle significantly

How's it done?

Look at the retaining strap where it attaches to the lid:

Just loop the strap round the lower peg like this:

Job done!

(And apologies in advance if everybody except me knew all about this.)
I did add another couple of pics further down the thread, for completeness here they are:

Hoping to get proper web site restoration early next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, this I think will work for the pics, as a link to shared dropbox folder (which means you can add your own photos if you want, or copy the photos in the folder and print em use for toilet paper!). I tried going to Photobucket, but the site is still down from this morning and there's a LOT of PO'd users (paid ones at that) whose lives are apparently being RUINED by lack of access to their photos. One person has EIGHTY THOUSAND photos he can't get access to, and all I can say to that is: Quit Taking So Many Photos and Take A Breath! In any event, lemme know if this works better than the Google links, so I can know how to go about posting photos going forward if I have anything useful to say (which may be in doubt, although I DO have some photos of our cat on the bike, so STAND BY!)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sks6jpkos2g7hel/AABu1VAGrReuvSIOejxnkE2ea?dl=0

And THANK YOU McAtrophy for the hardcase photos. Wow, how easy and slick is that little trick? I feel pretty dumb I wasn't able to see that little nugget for myself. You Brits are pretty smart, although it's obvious we all have trouble figuring out who our leaders should be on either side of the Pond! (And that is ALL the political allusion I would risk here!)

G'day!

Oh Horrors! This started out as a "lights" thread, but morphed into a "hosting pictures" thread. Then it became a "hardcase mod" thread. I'm so confused.

But ON TOPIC: Don't those Darlas just shine! Hard as it is to show the brightness of lights in a photo (whatever host you use), just look how much brighter they are than the FJR's already pretty good headlights. And those yellow/orange lens covers--amazing how they jump out in traffic.

Thats strange, since in details each photo has a .jpg extension. I may just create a shared folder in Dropbox since i find sharing and working with that app easy and predictable. I gotta work sometime now i guess, so will figger this out later. Maybe Photobucket will be working by then too!
FWIW - and apologies for being off topic - when Google had Picassa, I used it to post photos here for some time with no problems. When they discontinued Picassa and went to Google Photos, the web addresses for the pictures no longer had a ".jpg" extension, either for my archive album or Google Photos. I aggravated with it for a while, but was not able to make it work for purposes of posting here. Since I already have a Yahoo account to access the GSX1100G Yahoo board, I started using their Flickr hosting site which, after I got used to it, has worked well.

Ok, well now that it appears I've got a way to post reliable photo links I will try to stay on topic from now on, but i just had to ask McAtropby about the case mod while i had him there. And SacMike, you're lucky enough to live even closer to Clearlights than me, so go talk to them and see all your options. You might just add some Kristas as an under mirror mount plus Darlas on the forks and you'll have enough lumens to create the sun at midight! Just bring your checkbook!

Installed the Darla lights on fork mounts and must say the guys at Clearwater Lights did an excellent job on a ride-in installation. I only live an hour away! Getting both side faring panels plus the dash panel off the FJR to get access to the headlight relays to tap into was a bit of a challenge. They spent their time and did a very clean install, not only in getting the wiring harness secure and tucked solidly away, but finding the one area to accommodate running harness to the dimmer knob in a location that is accessible but inconspicuous. This was only at the inboard rear corner of the glovebox panel, and they needed a low-profile (on the inside harness-side) dimmer knob to fit in the available clearance. The lights themselves are fantastic and I really like the Hi-Viz cover lenses (that are a special color the owner Glenn Stasky researched from I think a BMW study about what color drew the most attention from oncoming drivers) that slip on quickly, or can be removed if you just want the white LEDs shining. The lights have a nice range of adjustment through the dimmer knob, from low “see, I’m here” levels to full bright light-up-the-road level, and they are also tapped into the highbeam circuit so they go to full brightness if the highbeams are activated. This is a very well-designed and executed product, and I think the install if manageable if you know electrical, have schematics, and have strong little fingers. Getting the headlight relays back into their slots after the Posi-taps are installed is a trick. I'm a fluids and filters kind of guy, so electrical is opaque to me. But should be cake for all you farkle nuts though! My night riding is definitely easier, and I know I'm more visible during the day with or without the yellow covers, but that Hi-Viz is really a cool colorhttps://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNk2rQIfBSc0QtOxQ80gPJDx9ZU6PHCDQ1SgXxf/photo/AF1QipNAGtHkuNIR3vhDP9y3cYayynGkBaC9zP1DDCGD

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNk2rQIfBSc0QtOxQ80gPJDx9ZU6PHCDQ1SgXxf/photo/AF1QipPcN3BQmFbdUxaubzEaZ1qNp7CRwMYsEtvAxE_U

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNk2rQIfBSc0QtOxQ80gPJDx9ZU6PHCDQ1SgXxf/photo/AF1QipNksEO18TnIsZ_2QsDyqf7_3Krub4_l_hLWAKw6

How much did it cost for the lights? How much did Clearwater Lights charge for the installation? They did a great job!