Canada vs USA?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is the Canadian models also have speedos that are more inaccurate than US models (Gen III).
Ok, so you got me on a technicality. I didn't want to use the word speedo because that brings up a really horrendous mental picture of men's minimalist swimwear.
weirdsmiley.gif
OH NO! Especially not on this forum...
weirdsmiley.gif

My biggest frustration is that the MPH/KM unit selection is available in the UK and purposefully disabled in north America to make sure Canadians customers get scr**ed by Yamaha Canada prices and policies.

when I ride in the US, I have to rely on my GPS as a speedometer, otherwise I need to be constantly doing maths while riding. Extremely annoying... Thanks again, Yamaha.

...Benoit..

Nothing to do with US vs CN but if you want to get the SPEEDO to record speed closer to actual speed, put a 190/55 rear tire on your bike. On the GenIII it will put you almost dead on.

My biggest frustration is that the MPH/KM unit selection is available in the UK and purposefully disabled in north America to make sure Canadians customers get scr**ed by Yamaha Canada prices and policies. when I ride in the US, I have to rely on my GPS as a speedometer, otherwise I need to be constantly doing maths while riding. Extremely annoying... Thanks again, Yamaha. ...Benoit..
Agreed that is one of the few rather annoying 'features' of the Gen II/III North American bikes. At least on the Gen II bikes Yamaha could have easily added an MPH scale to the dial on the Canadian bikes, and a KPH scale on the US version. I could resort to a stick-on of some sort, but the Gen III fully digital instrumentation removes even that option.

I wonder it there's some way to safely hack the ecu in order to turn on that functionality?

Nothing to do with US vs CN but if you want to get the SPEEDO to record speed closer to actual speed, put a 190/55 rear tire on your bike. On the USA GenIII it will put you almost dead on. On a Canadian Gen III it will get you within 5-6%.
Fixed it for ya!
winksmiley02.gif

I wonder it there's some way to safely hack the ecu in order to turn on that functionality?
I'm sure someone will get right on that important hack... as soon as they're done with the 2013 CC limit hack.
winksmiley02.gif
iirc, none of the '13s CCs were available with higher settings than the North American models, (I think someone mentioned it was hard wired?), whereas it seems the European FJRs speedos are capable of switching between KPH and MPH. If that is true, then unless Yamaha installed completely different ecus in the North American models, theoretically it should be possible to 'unlock' the switching function on the North American fjrs, perhaps by flashing the ecu firmware with the European version code.

I actually like how clean the speedometer looks on the Canadian models. Yes it is a little bit of a bother but I ride on trips with my GPS and it is always set to MPH. Soooooo no big deal

Qick reference here: 30 mph is 50 kmh, 40 is 60, 60 is 100....not exact but close enough, easy to remember too!

You would think the coded key anti theft device on the Canadian bikes would lower insurance cost but .......NOOOOOOO!

We just get used to bending over
weirdsmiley.gif

A slight misstatement being repeated above about North American models vis-a-vis changing units of measure for speed and distance between KM and Miles. US bikes can indeed be changed back and forth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing to do with US vs CN but if you want to get the SPEEDO to record speed closer to actual speed, put a 190/55 rear tire on your bike. On the GenIII it will put you almost dead on.
Hmmm, if it does what you say, then it should also result in getting two extra MPH out of the cruise control. My cruise on my 13 model peaks at 82 MPH indicated which is only 80 MPH per GPS. Zounds.... two extra MPH!!!!!

A slight misstatement being repeated above about North American models vis-a-vis changing units of measure for speed and distance between KM and Miles. US bikes can indeed be changed back and forth.
Is there a North American model? I think there are US models and there are Canadian models and I don't believe the Canadian models can be switched to MPH. They also have chipped keys which can be a huge PITA and they are much, much slower than US models.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't you supposed to use maple syrup instead of oil on the Candaian models? I think the coolant system also works better with Molson instead of antifreeze.

I also heard that when you honk the horn, instead of honking, it says "pardon me", or "soh-ree". When you cross the border into French Canada, a micro GPS triggers said speaking horn to switch to French.

Aren't you supposed to use maple syrup instead of oil on the Candaian models? I think the coolant system also works better with Molson instead of antifreeze.
I also heard that when you honk the horn, instead of honking, it says "pardon me", or "soh-ree". When you cross the border into French Canada, a micro GPS triggers said speaking horn to switch to French.
J'suis Désolé
fool.gif

J'suis Désolé
fool.gif
Now THAT, mon ami, is very funny!