Canyon Cages Arrived

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valkmike

Reaction score
Just received my Canyon Cages today for my Gen III. Excellent service from MC Ent. as I'm sure I was one of the last to sign up for the group buy.

Installation looks pretty straight forward, any tips or tricks for the install ?? Also, do I need the torque recommendations for final tightening of the bolts, especially on the motor mounts?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Received my Canyon Cages today. Quickly read the installation instructions and found them to be pretty complicated. Maybe if I read them with the bike in front of me I will not be so overwhelmed. Will try that tomorrow.

Got the Canyon Cages installed this morning. The only problem I had was trying to find the flange nut on the left side as per the instructions. After spending an hour looking for it I eventually found it on the right side. Apparently my motor mount bolt was installed the opposite of Richard's. Other than that is was a pretty simple job. They look real good, but I am in no hurry to see how well they work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine arrived yesterday. Hey Jer, can you post a picture of the "flange nut" that was on the right, and not the left?

Damn you 13 guys! I have to want your bike, and then listen to you getting your Canyon Cage installed!

Word on mine is 3-4 weeks as I was tail end of the list and have a Gen II.

Cool you guys are getting them on and look forward to hearing how you like them overall. Not really in a crash but if you notice them at all, feet or shin, anywhere.

I just think they are the cats meow.

Damn you 13 guys! I have to want your bike, and then listen to you getting your Canyon Cage installed!
Word on mine is 3-4 weeks as I was tail end of the list and have a Gen II.

Cool you guys are getting them on and look forward to hearing how you like them overall. Not really in a crash but if you notice them at all, feet or shin, anywhere.

I just think they are the cats meow.
I have ridden about three hundred miles with my cages installed and didn't even know they were there.

Mine arrived yesterday. Hey Jer, can you post a picture of the "flange nut" that was on the right, and not the left?
I don't think you will need a picture. Just follow the instructions for removing the motor mount bolt. It is a long bolt about 9 inches long and on one end is a 14mm bolt head and on the other is the flange nut. My bike had the flange nut on the right and not the left side, but you will be able to tell on the right whether you have a bolt head or a nut. If I had realized the bolt run all of the way from left to right I wouldn't have spent so much time looking for the flange nut on the left side.

From the right side you will be able to see that the bolt holds the engine to the frame. let me know if you have any problems. I will send you my email.

I had the same problem identifying the bolt. I eventually found it after holding up the guard up to the bike. If you line up the front bolt and the umbrella nut, you can see where it is. It took me about 1.5 hours to put all 4 parts on.

I had the same problem identifying the bolt. I eventually found it after holding up the guard up to the bike. If you line up the front bolt and the umbrella nut, you can see where it is. It took me about 1.5 hours to put all 4 parts on.
My problem was that the bolt head was on the left and the flange nut was on the right. The bolt head on the left is recessed and was hard to see until I removed the nut on the right and pushed the bolt out.

Now you just need your highway pegs.
R
Got some ordered.

Now you just need your highway pegs.
R
Well was not gonna jack the thread but in my search for pegs it was frustrating to say the least. First as you pointed me to the Rivco site, they only have 7/8" mounts in chrome. Yes You 13 guys have 1" tube but Gen II are 7/8". I hate chrome as "it wont get you home" but hey I have to live with it. Then you guys have bought all the black pegs up and they are on back order! Wont have any in until June! So while trying to gather parts beforehand looks like the cage and foot pegs will show up around the same time. Glad I did not wait as the MCL pegs are something I would not want to live with out until I can use the Rivco pegs.. Also had to find those OEM bolts to remove those, that I will offer up in the classifieds.

So advice if you are waiting and going to use Rivco products you need to order soon.

My problem was that the bolt head was on the left and the flange nut was on the right. The bolt head on the left is recessed and was hard to see until I removed the nut on the right and pushed the bolt out.
Mine was reversed, as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005U80V6K

https://www.amazon.com/RIVCO-PRODUCTS-CLAMP-MOUNTING-CLMP1BK/dp/B004LFOXOY/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y

41JMrWfHbzL._SX385_.jpg

61ImwSaEcRL._SX466_.jpg
1" MODEL

That works for you 1" guys but as I said 7/8" are not around in black. Also Rivco has sourced the pegs and I should have them Tomorrow. Like I said you 2013 guys have it made in the shade.
Here is link for 7/8 clamps from CruiserCustomizing.com:

Part number: DS-77-6016B

Universal Three-Piece Frame Clamp, Black cost: $9.95 each

https://www.cruisercustomizing.com/universal-three-piece-frame-clamp-black-78-inch-each/part/DS-77-6016B

Last edited by a moderator:
That works for you 1" guys but as I said 7/8" are not around in black. Also Rivco has sourced the pegs and I should have them Tomorrow. Like I said you 2013 guys have it made in the shade.
Here is link for 7/8 clamps from CruiserCustomizing.com:

Part number: DS-77-6016B

Universal Three-Piece Frame Clamp, Black cost: $9.95 each

https://www.cruisercustomizing.com/universal-three-piece-frame-clamp-black-78-inch-each/part/DS-77-6016B
Sold. Thanks for the link.

Received my highway pegs, but having a hard time finding the right location to mount them on the cages.

Fairlainer, I looked at the photos you posted and saw how you've mounted them but it doesn't look like it give much relief in terms of streching your legs.

I tried mounting them on the 'high' bar, but that didn't work well either too uncomfortable.

Thoughts ??