Cardo Bold and Sena 50S questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Looking to improve Coms. Currently use Sena 20S.

All audio from Radar detector, Phone (incoming, calling, music, directions), GPS (directions, music) is ported to wired 'S Plug' ear buds.

I have zero desire to use in-helmet speakers. The S Plugs work great at delivering quality music AND reducing ambient noise. Does not make sense to have high quality in-helmet speakers then plug the ears with ear plugs, effectively killing audio quality in order to prevent hearing loss.

Finally to the questions..

Do Cardo units or 50S Sena support
. wired ear buds?
. bluetooth ear buds?
. capability to configure as listed above?

Thanks in Advance,
D

Looking to improve Coms. Currently use Sena 20S.

All audio from Radar detector, Phone (incoming, calling, music, directions), GPS (directions, music) is ported to wired 'S Plug' ear buds.

I have zero desire to use in-helmet speakers. The S Plugs work great at delivering quality music AND reducing ambient noise. Does not make sense to have high quality in-helmet speakers then plug the ears with ear plugs, effectively killing audio quality in order to prevent hearing loss.

Finally to the questions..

Do Cardo units or 50S Sena support
. wired ear buds?
. bluetooth ear buds?
. capability to configure as listed above?

Thanks in Advance,
D
Phone and GPS output via BT yes, not sure about radar detector. It might depend on what BT profiles the radar detector can support. Since BT earbuds mimic BT headphones, I will guess the Sena will connect to any modern BT earbuds, but havent tried this myself.

I stand corrected.
-Steve

Last edited:
Cardo's use a wired connection to the earphones via a 3.5 mm jack. I have no use for mesh comms so I'm just rocking a Cardo Spirit HD with Etymotic ER2SE in ear phones. This version of Cardo doesn't have voice commands, but I don't need those anyway. If you don't need mesh comms, or voice commands, there's no real need to spend the big bucks on the Bold system.

@dcarver , I am using a Cardo PT Bold, so I can’t speak for Sena units. As @saread mentioned the Cardo comms attach to its speakers using a 3.5 mm plug. So that gives you the option to to use wired earbuds in place of the headset, or - if you want - you can also attach a small BT transmitter to the audio jack and pair your BT headset to the transmitter. From your post my understanding is that you just want to replace the in-helmet speakers with a wired or BT earbuds, so this should work without having to do any configuration on the comm system. .

Don
SENA 50 supports wired ear buds via 3.5mm audio output jack – just like your SENA 20. It’s in the helmet mount. In fact, a SENA 50 can fit onto the SENA 20 mount, although you won’t be getting all the features a SENA 50 mount has to offer.

When you plug in your ear buds the audio is redirected to them, and the helmet speakers go silent. On long, multi day – non CandyButt® rides, you can alternate between the two to give your ear canals a rest from having ear buds inserted.

As for coupling Bluetooth earbuds to a SENA, any SENA, I have no idea. Perhaps that question has been asked on the SENA support site.

Hope this helps

Brodie
🙂

Last edited: