Cardo Packtalk Bold - Testing in progress!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bigjohnsd posted, in part: ... so far the other benefits of Quiet Cardo Operation ... easily outweigh any Sena 20S capabilities...
Can you give me an opinion on the FM antenna, please? The Sena antenna is worthless. The Sena loses radio reception while still in metro Atlanta, when a cheap clock radio picks up many metro stations up to 70 miles away. FM radio is always interesting to hear when "in a strange land".

Last edited by a moderator:
I received a response from Cardo in response to (roughly) does any Cardo device have sidetone and, if not, are there any plans to add it. Unfortunately, whoever replied (no name or position given) doesn't know what the term sidetone means. I've sent a reply with a definition of sidetone taken from Plantronics (major headset mfg.), not from Sena. I repeated the earlier questions. And that's the name of that tune - so far.
biggrin.png

bigjohnsd posted, in part: ... so far the other benefits of Quiet Cardo Operation ... easily outweigh any Sena 20S capabilities...
Can you give me an opinion on the FM antenna, please? The Sena antenna is worthless. The Sena loses radio reception while still in metro Atlanta, when a cheap clock radio picks up many metro stations up to 70 miles away. FM radio is always interesting to hear when "in a strange land".
The FM antenna on both Sena and Cardo is the speaker wire. It all depends on how you route the wires for the speakers/headphones. I get great radio reception with the PackTalk, and I had great reception with the 20s. My buddy who uses earbuds never had great reception with either headset.

Cardo sent their full response. Does Cardo product has sidetone. They don't think sidetone is necessary because Natural Talk works so well.

No surprise about "no product" - never hurts to ask.

The we don't think it's necessary response is IMHO disappointing. It reads as "we think our product is right, why do it" when it's easy to demonstrate that most people using phones, etc.are not comfortable without it. Obviously I'm not going to argue the point. "Don't have, won't do it" is a deal breaker. I'll vote with my wallet. Having a snit about this of no value.

FM works better than my Sena 20 but as you point out, that is not saying much.

FM works better than my Sena 20 but as you point out, that is not saying much.

I tried to update to Firmware 4.2 on my ancient Windows 7 home computer. Boy was that a mistake. After multiple messages and hours on the phone with a very helpful Shaun at customer support my Unit is still partially functional. New unit being shipped to my house. But I'm on the road with Festar, at least I can listen to music and use my phone to call him. Mesh and Bluetooth intercom disappeared into the ether. More later when I get the new unit installed. Shaun speaks English and seems to care. Good experience.

My daughter and her hubby just bought two brand new Triumph scramblers and are wanting advice on some bluetooth communicators. I advised them to check out this thread. After reading most of it, it appears that the majority of posts favor the Cardo. They likely won't be doing any group rides and will only need to be talking to each other, as well as being connected to their cell phones and a Zumo. Any recommendations? Cost is not an issue for them.

While I'm at it, and not to hijack this thread, they also need to buy at least one GPS for duty in the mountains of the Seattle area. Any recommendations?

Not very often that I ask a question of this forum and get no reply. Oh well. Guess everybody was out riding. She bought a pair of Tracktalk Bolds. Now she's looking for a garmin of some sort.

Advice?

I got the 395 and a somewhat happy with it. For me, the issue is I am unable to load a sufficent amount of music on it and I had issues connecting my Samsung, Sena SMH 10's, and Garmin together. I connected the Samsung and Sena and kept an eye on the Garmin for directions. When I upgrade the Sena, I will probably go Packtalk bold and hopefully, my issues will resolve.

Since money is no obsticle, definately one of the higher end units.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RBEmerson" data-cid="1403419" data-time="1534454252"><p>

4.2 is Cardo firmware?</p></blockquote>

Yes

Call me old fashioned, but this is why I still use FRS/GMRS or HAM radio tied into my Sena for bike to bike coms. I don't think Cardo has this option, but the SR10 from Sena allows you to tie in a radio. As long as everyone is on the right frequency it just works. EVERY multi rider group I've been in which tries to group up with BT comms becomes, 'hit this button', 'shake that', 'hold that button', 'can you hear me now', etc. The group gives up and rolls with <some> people being able to hear <some> of the other riders. Either that or I get to hear the dreaded Sena 'popcorn' or someone breathing for the duration of the ride and without my music. Radio also maintains compatibility with Autocom and Starcom users with radio.

The FRS/GMRS also <really> goes a few miles, not to the next corner like with BT. They tell you it'll go further, but it rarely does. With my HAM radio opened up for FRS/GMRS I can transmit at 50 watts. I might not be able to hear a guy 5 miles away with his FRS handheld but he certainly hears me!
wink.png

My daughter and her hubby just bought two brand new Triumph scramblers and are wanting advice on some bluetooth communicators. I advised them to check out this thread. After reading most of it, it appears that the majority of posts favor the Cardo. They likely won't be doing any group rides and will only need to be talking to each other, as well as being connected to their cell phones and a Zumo. Any recommendations? Cost is not an issue for them.
While I'm at it, and not to hijack this thread, they also need to buy at least one GPS for duty in the mountains of the Seattle area. Any recommendations?
As I've said earlier, the 20S works well in this setting. After you pair the two units(*), one of you taps the big knob and you can chat away. Adding a phone takes a few steps, including telling the phone to accept the 20S. Adding the GPS is about the same as adding the phone (+)

One big warning about phones and GPS'. At least my Zumo 660 does not have a volume control in Bluetooth mode. It's going to blast away at 100%. Turn down the GPS, and the phone will be too faint. This is not Sena's fault - blame Apple, Samsung, whoever, and Garmin. I have recommended a built in sound mixer but have heard nothing back but crickets. My "fix" is a combination of music and Maps/Waze/Kurviger. I use the 660 as a general "moving map" that I can zoom in and out. Garmin's routing has made some amazing mistakes. I use it only if all else fails. With nothing coming from the 660, all phone volume issues are moot.

FWIW, I read the Cardo manual for Packtalk Bold and I'm surprised at the similarities between the Bold and the https://www.sena.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/UsersGuide_Sena_20S_v1.3_en_20141121.pdf. The biggest differences are voice processing and DMC. I don't have any complaints about 20S sound; usually it's a mic in the wind, or too far from the user. Given no helmet is quiet so plugs are needed (or buds), past some point, sound quality is overwhelmed by noise and plugs. IMHO it's a push. DMC versus 8 (or 9 if you follow Sena's logic on the matter) riders is a hands down winner. But for two-up or two or three riders, I see it as overkill.

Voice commands... compare the Cardo voice command table with the 20S table, and the commands are very close. Sena has three speed dial numbers, Cardo has one. Cardo has "Hey Siri", Sena doesn't. "OK Google" works but at least my Samsung was sometimes challenged to sort out the difference between OK Google for Google Assistant and Google Maps. Probably the biggest significant difference is "Hey Cardo" works all the time. Once the 20S is out of standby, "Hello Sena" doesn't get the 20S' attention. Tap the button on the bottom of the mount and... "say a command". There's an option to just tap the mount with a stiff finger to get "say a command". About the third or fourth time this happens by accident, be glad to know one of the options (use either the Sena app or built-in option changing mode) is to kill that response. Dead. Very dead. Tapping the button works fine after getting a bit of muscle memory.

AFAIK, Cardo doesn't have one IMHO very useful feature: ambient sound. That is, tap the button on the mount twice, and a built-in mic brings in whatever's going around you. Pull up to a gas pump and pop the button. Now if someone comes up to you and says "my uncle just died", you won't nod your head, smile, and say "you and your uncle have a nice ride, too." It's good for those moments where the gas attendant says, "New Jersey law says I have to pump for you - cash or credit". Just remember to turn it off before rolling again. The air noise will remind you, though... oh my yes it will...

As discussed above, sidetone is a deal-breaker for me. For some people, it's something they don't want. It's a toss-up here, but the 20S sidetone can be turned off and on.

"There's an app for that" of course. Pre-load speed dial, FM channels, and tweak the settings. It's all there. I assume Cardo has an app, too.

I'll be interested to hear your friends' reaction to Cardo v. Sena.

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for Sena or Cardo, I have no skin in the game beyond owning an SMH-10 and a 20S.

(*) Both riders push in on their big knob (AKA Jog Dial) until each rider hears "intercom pairing" and the LED on each unit turns red and blinks rapidly.. One rider (either rider can do it) pushes their big knob once. The LED's will turn blue shortly after that and you'll hear the other rider. If the process doesn't "take", get to intercom pairing (both riders), and hold the big knob down a little longer. The process needs to be completed in a minute or less. After pairing is complete, it is not required again, unless a new unit is added.

After that, when one or both units are turned off and turned back on, hold the big knob down for a second. The connection will be restored. Hold the big knob for two seconds and the connection is broken.

(+)Push the small, vertical button (AKA Phone Button) on the back off the 20S until "phone pairing" and multiple beeps are heard. The LED's will alternate between red and blue. On the phone, use settings (gear thing) to connections to Bluetooth. There should be a list of connections the phone knows about - radios, speakers, etc. Look for a new device, Sena 20S v1.7.7 (current version number). Tap it to start the phone pairing process. The phone may ask to confirm a PIN 0000. Choose whatever makes the phone happy. At the end of the process, the 20S will say "your headset is paired". Easy-peasy. When the 20S is turned on and the phone is on, you'll hear "phone connected" followed by "media connected". The first is (surprise) the telephone connection, the second is tunes, etc. Two units cannot connect directly to the phone. After three minutes, the 20S returns to standby. Start from holding down the phone button.

Adding the GPS: Go the Bluetooth connection screen on your GPS to avoid searching for it later. Hold the big button down for 6 seconds followed by the phone button for two seconds. You'll hear "second mobile phone pairing". Push the phone button, again, for two seconds. You'll hear "GPS pairing". Look for (new) devices on the GPS' Bluetooth page and select Sena 20S v1.7.7. Again you'll see PIN 0000. Do whatever the GPS wants to make it happy. The process ends with "You headset is paired". IIRC you'll hear "GPS connected" when the GPS is on and the 20S is turned on. After three minutes, the 20S returns to standby. Start from holding down the big button.

EDIT: Establishing an intercom instructions changed from "a couple of seconds" to "a second".

@AdamK: every so often I think about a 2M rig on my bike. and then come to my senses. Chasing repeaters or working simplex or any of the exciting and wonderful digital modes (<- sarcasm) while driving is bad enough. While riding? Ooooooh I don't think so. But then YMMV. :)

73 de KC3DOO

@AdamK: every so often I think about a 2M rig on my bike. and then come to my senses. Chasing repeaters or working simplex or any of the exciting and wonderful digital modes (<- sarcasm) while driving is bad enough. While riding? Ooooooh I don't think so. But then YMMV.
smile.png

73 de KC3DOO
The only repeater I've worked on the bike is a local one when I was commuting. Haven't done it for years though. I had a good HAM and riding buddy and we always used 2m simplex when touring. No chatter when we rode through towns or from hikers up in the mountains. The bonus of extra power is always nice. :)

All worked well after initial setup which was seamless.Paired my S7 and TomTom Rider to my unit, listened to Music, mesh intercom with Festar and GPS, all worked seamlessly. Festar paired his Iphone 6s and his Garmin GPS with similar results. My unit exhibited unusually short battery life as in 25% per hour of use. Festar ran his for three days and was still at 50%. I then tried to upgrade my firmware from 4.0 to 4.2 using my ancient Windows 7 powered home computer. Driver took forever to load, once the driver loaded the computer had trouble connecting with the Packtalk unit. Once connected I started the upgrade but it never finished, timing out of losing the connection somewhere during thev process. Tried to use after performing a Factory reset. Got paired to my S7 but no Mesh, no Blue Tooth Intercom, no Second Phone to GPS. Tech Support was wonderful, Shaun spent several hours trying to help me get it going. End result, they are sending me a replacement unit, they want mine back for disection after I receive the new unit. Festar and I took a three day trip to NW Montana, I could listen to music and use my phone, battery still depleted rapidly but the unit worked while charging so that's what I did. Can't wait to receive the replacement and get back to the total experience. I miss the sidetone but lack of sidetone is not a deal breaker when compared with all the other features and benefits of the unit.

Er... maybe time to grit your teeth and go to Win10? If you're stuck in Win7 (device not compatible), there it is. I'll be surprised to find out the firmware loader doesn't like Win7, though. I'm also surprised the loader was able to damage the intercom's boot/loader. That should be permanent code that gets the intercom to wake up to the point it'll listen to the data port. It should take a lot of effort to smoke that.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a full-on reset to "un-jam" the unit. At this point, I suspect the factory data reset doesn't work. That's probably only clearing data tables (pairing info, etc.) and the options flags. If the load is somewhere between 4.0 and 4.2, so much for that idea.

Did Shaun take you through Device Manager to clear out whatever the current driver is and try to re-load it? Did he send you to "Printers and Devices"? If the driver was at least functional and the PC had some degree of connection to the intercom, it should have shown up in the device list.

Unless you use something like CCleaner to periodically clear out crap (the first C in the app's name), including Win7's scratch files, browser cache (saved stuff to make it look like a browser connection is wicked fast), and just plain crap, you'll slowly run out of hard drive space (the crud has to live somewhere). That means Win7's work space (if something won't fit in RAM, it goes there until needed) will shrink - Bad Thing. CCleaner cleans out debris in the registry (home of Very Important Data). Leftover, unused data could conceivably cause problems. Cleaning out the registry may, or may not, help here. Anyway, look into CCleaner - the free version works like a dog in hunting season. Finally, if you use either Norton or MacAfee, you have a serious resource thief. Malwarebytes is far more effective and far less intrusive. Go for the pro version - worth it! You'll need help with getting Norton or MacAfee out of your machine. They're leaches that just won't let go unless you know how. Blowing away a lot of files in hopes of killing them doesn't work- sigh...

How good is the cable between the PC and intercom? Have you used it with another, unrelated device? Some of my cables have failed to the point where it's clear one connector or the other is wonky. Bye-bye wire.