Cashiers BBQ Ride - Sunday, June 22

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasportrider

gasportrider
Reaction score
Come join the Georgia FJR Riders Group and the Honda Sport Touring Association for an informal ride to Carolina Smokehouse BBQ in Cashiers, NC on Sunday, June 22. All Riders and All Sport or Sport Touring Brands are welcome. If you’re not familiar with our groups, we tend to ride at a disciplined sporting pace for longer distances and often take multi-day group rides together. You can read about us at https://www.ridehsta.com/hsta and https://georgiasporttouring.com/default.aspx

Our destination offers a fun and challenging ride up through the little town of Tiger followed by a gas stop & break in Clayton, GA. We’ll then ride the whoops of WarWoman Road, and enjoy the river and heavily forested twisties along GA/SC 28 and SC/NC 107. The BBQ at Carolina Smokehouse is fantastic.

Steve Tucker, GM of Moto 400 has graciously provided a $50 gift certificate for us to award and, of course, invites everyone to visit the dealership open 7 days per week for your convenience. Moto 400 is on the left of GA 400 about 1 mile north of the Outlet Mall. Take the left on GA 53 and then the first right & head toward the Cinema.

Breakfast is available at Lorena’s Food and Spirits on the site adjacent to Moto 400. Breakfast fare is appetizing and very affordable. Seating begins at 9:00 AM on Sunday.

If the weather looks chancy for the Sunday, June 22 ride, I’ll post a cancellation or “wet ride” notice on Saturday. If we have a cancellation, we’ll try again the following weekend on Sunday, June 29.

We’d like to have everyone gather for a riders meeting promptly at 10:45 AM. We’ll go over some suggestions for the ride and will welcome some ride leader volunteers. Our goal will be to be underway by 11:00 AM. Please have enough gas for 75 miles. We’ll be doing a gas and rest stop at the BP in Clayton just north of the main intersection on US 441.

Your ride back can be as you choose with the opportunity to re-do our route or travel to Highlands and then do 28 south to WarWoman Road.

It will be appreciated if you let us know you’re coming on this ride by posting on this thread. Anticipation is contagious. Let us know if you’re excited to do this mountain ride.

Sounds good, what town is Moto 400/hwy 53 in? If i can get my new tires on by then, I'm in. Might be bringing one on a St1300 also.

Sounds good, what town is Moto 400/hwy 53 in? If i can get my new tires on by then, I'm in. Might be bringing one on a St1300 also.

I'm glad you're going to make the drive up from McDonough. Moto 400 is located on the west or southbound side of Ga 400 SE from Dawsonville and Dahlonega and N of Cumming, GA. about 1 mile or so north of the N GA Premium Outlet Mall. There is a turn point just south of the dealership that crosses 400 and obligates you to deal with oncoming southbound traffic.

A somewhat safer approach is to turn at the traffic light for Highway 53 toward Dawsonville and then take the first right onto 400 Center Lane and head toward the theater complex. The dealership is vey visible from 400 and has a big billboard display near it.

I look forward to seeing everyone join for a nice gathering and someone winning the raffle for the $50 gift certificate.

I'm in as well. Will be on the FJR and coming with a friend on a ST1300.

Can you post detailed route from Moto 400? We are old and slow and may not be able to keep up.

I'm in as well. Will be on the FJR and coming with a friend on a ST1300.Can you post detailed route from Moto 400? We are old and slow and may not be able to keep up.

I may be able to join in also. I am suppose to ride a friend up to Highland Saturday to pick up a car. If he cancels, I'm in for the Sunday ride. Sumotony, since I tumbled off the R1, I'm old and slow too, so you if you don't mind the company, I'll hang with you guys.

I'm in as well. Will be on the FJR and coming with a friend on a ST1300.Can you post detailed route from Moto 400? We are old and slow and may not be able to keep up.

I may be able to join in also. I am suppose to ride a friend up to Highland Saturday to pick up a car. If he cancels, I'm in for the Sunday ride. Sumotony, since I tumbled off the R1, I'm old and slow too, so you if you don't mind the company, I'll hang with you guys.
I am looking forward to the experience. Just have not ridden with a group before, and will ride my own pace. Was not exactly sure what "disciplined sporting pace" means.

Sumotony,

There is no such thing as too slow on a group ride. One of the "rules" of a group ride is to wait on the rider behind you to catch up at all intersections so that each member of the group will know which way to turn. I'll be bringing some detailed "turn instructions" so that each group leader will have the detail of the route.

Here are some group riding tips from Sport Rider magazine along with a bunch of other informational articles about riding techniques:

Sport Rider Articles

Following is a map of the proposed route. Detail is vague on the map; but I'll have some better ones for each ride leader. We'll try to have 8 or fewer riders in each group.

Moto400toCashiersNC3.jpg

Group riding is fun and enjoyable. You'll meet new folks and it is a thrill to be a part of a group of motorcyclists arcing through a set of turns. Come see for yourself!!

I'm looking forward to seeing you there.

I am looking forward to the experience. Just have not ridden with a group before, and will ride my own pace. Was not exactly sure what "disciplined sporting pace" means.
Disciplined sporting pace means we ride like a bat out of hell until someone gets disciplined by the GSP.

What time do you guys expect to hit Cleveland? I think you're leaving Moto 400 @ 11:00 so you should be in there by noon. Am I right on that or just way out in left field? Looks like you are going through Lake Burton/Batesville area.

Rem : how about publishing the route/main waypoints for the GPS equipped crowd ?
Pascal
Mike,

If you put together the route and email it to me in GPX format I will post it on my site so folks can download it.

I'm a definite maybe for Sunday, a few things with the kids still up in the air. I might be riding with my co-pilot jwillyjr!

JW

I'll be camping in the area all weekend so I may meet you guys at Carolina Smokehouse. I love that place..

What time do you guys expect to hit Cleveland? I think you're leaving Moto 400 @ 11:00 so you should be in there by noon. Am I right on that or just way out in left field? Looks like you are going through Lake Burton/Batesville area.
Kiteman,

Streets and Trips has us at the intersection of Tesnatee Gap and 129 at a few minutes after noon. There is a non operational store site at that corner where you could wait.

Glad to see you are coming.

I'll run MapSource and create gpx routes by tomorrow and get JWilly to publish them for download. Alternatively, folks can PM me for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be camping in the area all weekend so I may meet you guys at Carolina Smokehouse. I love that place..
Nitelife,

I'm jealous. I camped last weekend at Ironhorse and can't wait to go back.

Hey, you could have twice the fun and meet us at the Clayton BP at the end of Warwoman. That way, you can ride Warwoman, 28, and 107 TWICE!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rem : how about publishing the route/main waypoints for the GPS equipped crowd ?
Pascal
Mike,

If you put together the route and email it to me in GPX format I will post it on my site so folks can download it.

I'm a definite maybe for Sunday, a few things with the kids still up in the air. I might be riding with my co-pilot jwillyjr!

JW

Pascal and JWilly,

GPX by Wednesday! Shish!! Such taskmasters. :blink: :blink:

Nitelife,

I'm jealous. I camped last weekend at Ironhorse and can't wait to go back.

Hey, you could have twice the fun and meet us at the Clayton BP at the end of Warwoman. That way, you can ride Warwoman, 28, and 107 TWICE!!
What time do you expect to be at the Clayton BP and at the Smokehouse?

What time do you expect to be at the Clayton BP and at the Smokehouse?

Nitelife,

Streets & Trips has us at the BP in Clayton at 1:10 PM. We should be at the Smokehouse by 2:30 PM or so. :clapping:

Pascal
Mike,

JW

Pascal and JWilly,

GPX by Wednesday! Shish!! Such taskmasters. :blink: :blink:
Pascal and JWilly,

I have prepared and sent the files to JWilly. The route is 122 miles with 35 waypoints. We should be at the restaurant around 2:30 PM or so.