Cat Removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google

Nitrous site:fjrforum.com

You might see something interesting that sparks your curiosity.

FWIW on my 08, I installed a Muzzys 4 into 1 header and can (no cat I believe) because I wanted more sound. Followed that with a UNI foam filter, modded air box and PCV. Never been dyno'd though but I am SURE it makes a crap ton more power with extra noise and all now. I know this to be true because it's a LOT slower with earplugs on. ;-)

Sorry Krell. Don't know how much of your post is in jest, but what you are describing was already done. Uselesspickles did it. He was no slouch and had his shit together.

When it was all done, he dynoed his bike against a stock bike. The stock bike made more power. Look his name up...It was Extrememarine's bike they tested against.

Holeshot headers FTW!
^^^ this.

Even after you have de-catted your stock header, the header pipes are (intentionally) small diameters, which was done to shift the torque curve to lower rpm for more usable power in its intended use (sport touring, not drag racing). Switching to an aftermarket 4 into 2 header with ;larger diameter pipes will give you high rpm HP increase at the cost of some of the low rpm grunt.

I tried a holeshot header on my 2005 (with the stock un-catted cans) and decided that I missed the low rpm grunt too much during "normal" street riding, and so went back to the stock header. There was a tangible increase in horsepower, but it is nearly unusable in street riding as it is all in the upper rpms.

Personally, if I was looking to build a drag racer I'd start with something more suitable and much lighter. YMMV
Thanks for this. I'm not that deep into the technical how and why of engines, so posts like this really help keep me pointed in the right direction.

^^^^ chuckle, chuckle
Why encourage him???
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png
I was gonna like this, but I have reached my quota for the day. Who knew there was such a thing?

This thread got me to thinkin'.

Would I want to do this?

Sacrifice some low end and midrange for something extra on the top end? I was cranking along yesterday on my way to work, thinking back over reading this thread. I was keeping an eye on the tach as I was rolling through the gears and doing my usual stop'n'go and/or buzzing around slowpoke Florida cagers. I know I didn't get over 5500 rpms and rarely went over 4500.

My answer: absolutely not. I'm not willing to sacrifice what I use 90 percent of the time to gain what I MIGHT use 10 percent of the time. It's just that simple for me.

Cat removal

One of the reasons my daughter didn't want to ride on my 91 Suzuki GSX1100G was that her pants smelled like motorcycle exhaust every time we got done riding. Us fellers could care less about such things, I get that. But the fairer sex thinks a little differently. How they smell actually matters. Of course, the bike had no catalytic converter. This is one of the things I like about the FJR, for just that reason. And heaven forbid that I would mention anything about not wanting to polute the atmosphere. Those might turn out to be fightin' words around here
smile.png

But then again, that's one man's opinion.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator: