Caution - whining ahead (Merged dupe threads)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't please all of the people all of the time....

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=126591

That thread begins: "City Side Cases Project: Like many FJR owners I’ve never liked the “fat-ass” look Yamaha gave the FJR in some misguided and failed marketing gimmick. The bulging side case lids don’t even match the flat side lines of Yamaha’s own top case."

Thanks for all the responses! I should explain, I stow my gear in the side bags when the bike is parked at the airport, which is often. I have Motoport kevlar mesh, which is kind of thick and rigid. I could cable-lock it instead, but prefer to keep it sealed. I was unaware that my helmet might fit in a side case. The top case then might take the jacket plus waterproof liner plus heated liner. I will give that a try when I return home.

Well, i can see why you'd noT wanna cable your stuff for overnight stuff. I sure wouldn't.

Your helmet should take up a whole case. I put my gloves and small stuff inside the helmet so the empty space is being used. Then, if I have to, I stuff everything else in the other bag.

Do airports still have lockers?

Do airports still have lockers?
Hey Mr. LEO-type-person...you remember that 9/11 thing and how unattended bags left by soccer moms in airports now get people with tasers and German Shepherds all uptight? Even more so for holes you can place bags unattended for days on end by inserting a few quarters. No mas.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, THAT'S why I asked. I know it would be a security issue, but that doesn't usually seem to affect the decision making. Hell, for all I know they moved them behind the screeners.

I didn't think they did, but as soon as I said they didnt, FredW or Howie, or Geek, or someone would have piped up that their local airport has lockers. :fuck: :)

Every void will get filled, Keep in mind, "less is more". The FJR bags are about the same size as the ST1300 that I came off of, but better shaped for packing. Best way to pack the FJR bags is to take them off the bike and lay them on there back when inserting you items. You will be able to get more in. Agree with the top box as I use it for items that I will be retrieving during the course of the day. jacket liners, gloves, rain gear, etc. Tank bag is for smaller items such as camera, sun block, thinner riding gloves, ball cap etc, Also there are laundromats along on the trip to use if needed. Also a duffle bag on the back seat will hold a lot of stuff if you are riding solo. Still after 30 years of riding each and every trip requires a different packing scheme. I use to carry extra tools which took up a lot of space (never needed them with the Honda(. Now just a credit card and a phone. But I am retired and getting older, so I have time for a layover if needed. I would rather not work on my bike while traveling.

I only have 1100 miles on my new 2014 FJR and 950of those miles was the trip back to Colorado from the Dealer in Texas. All my Stuff that I had on the ST1300 that I rode down fit in the bags of the new FJR for the ride home.

Best way to pack the FJR bags is to take them off the bike and lay them on there back when inserting you items. You will be able to get more in.
Discovered this not too long ago. I would fight to stuff in an over-packed soft bag while squatting next to the side case, then working the lid closed. One day I had the case off the bike for some reason and the bag dropped in soo much easier. Not going to scratch up my case in a hotel parking lot but it's in the bag of tricks.

Use the liners (bags) to keep things from spilling out. Use CUBES to better control how things go into your liners. Been using these since they were recommended to me by someone around 1999. Love them and they really do allow you to pack more into any given space by simply keeping those things in place better with easier access to types of stuff in each cube.

I find the half cube and quarter cube work very well in the bag liners and tank bag.

https://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-cube/d/1322_c_212_cl_2529

Last year the wife and I did a 4077 mile trip camping and every 3rd or 4th day doing a hotel (for laundry and showers). All with the side bags and a tail bag (custom designed to fit on the bike). The tail bag held the tent, camp chairs, sleeping bag (35 degree), cook stove, eating and cooking gear, gas for the stove etc. One side bag had food and toiletries, the other clothes (socks, underwear, and shirts for four days, with pants for two). Tank bag held the left overs. We had gear for rain through 100 degrees. Went up into Canada and down across Nevada desert. One trick is to travel using backpacking gear, which is by design light and small. Another, roll your clothes in freezer bags that can squeeze the air out, making them smaller. On previous shorter trips we found we took more, but needed less.

Interesting that some are having issues stowing a helmet in an FJR sidecase. My Arai (size large) fits just fine.
Of course, if I add an SMH10-B to the helmet, forget it. Not sure about the slimmer SMH10-R that I'm considering.
The SMH10-R adds zero to the overall width re; fitting the helmet in a side case as the lower part of the helmet the unit is fitted to is much narrower than the widest part of the helmet. This is exactly why I went from the SMH-10 to the 10-R. I've heard of guys clicking the main unit of a the SMH10 off the base in order to get the helmet into a side case. But I was squeamish as to how many removals/replacements those fragile little pins will tolerate.

The 10R is a bit more difficult to operate with gloves than the 10. But, if you're bluetoothing through the GPS it matters not a bit.

5 day trip to Bar Harbor, Maine in July, packed the side cases and my tank bag and off I went. Had rain gear, tire plug/pump kit and everything else I needed. I guess the navy taught me how to do something other than drink and pick up chicks in foreign ports.

Thanks for all the responses! I should explain, I stow my gear in the side bags when the bike is parked at the airport, which is often. I have Motoport kevlar mesh, which is kind of thick and rigid. I could cable-lock it instead, but prefer to keep it sealed. I was unaware that my helmet might fit in a side case. The top case then might take the jacket plus waterproof liner plus heated liner. I will give that a try when I return home.
It works! I can't believe I was unaware of this. That goes a long way toward my packing woes. Sometimes whining pays off!