Cdogs Air Box Mod... So damm simple even a "Caveman" could do it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there's still a lot skeptics, but to each their own.Once you do it you can tell....it was a [SIZE=14pt]VERY NOTICABLE[/SIZE] [positive] difference for me. :yahoo:

For a dalla too.. fixed it for ya...

I am not invested in bieng right to need others to agree with me.... It worked for me.. and I was just sharing.... I did it for me, and I am just trying to give back.... I have been given SO much by the other board members... that is why i wanted to give back, thats all....

the knowledge I have gained here is unreal... others gave so much more than I so many times before.....

That's kewl....just nevermind the jihad growing in yer airbox as we sprechen...........

I know more is better (airflow) but the scale is not linear... twice as much air is not twice as much gain.... It is reduced restriction and reducing the restriction is non-linear. After a bit, there are other things that ad more..
One of my goals was to make this reversable with little effort... the hole can be fixed.. once that little ring is cut out that becomes more expensive/difficult to reverse..

WW... dude.. you did good, we have different goals... I coulda even saved the dalla,,, if I woulda slowed down I woulda not burned my bit on my dremel....

I repect your work..... but most are probebly intimidated by it, I was, in the resale sense.... I will not have this bike forever.. but for a few bucks.... I can re-undo it

Just different goals dude... same feeling
Cdogman,

No worries Bro!! Thanks for your positive comments. I wasn't meaning to rain on the mod parade. When I referred to half, I wasn't meaning in the sense of gains .. More of, half the work. I agree with your thoughts on the total air not being linear. For example, my Bro only had me mod the left side of his 06's air box (my K an N flat filter setup) and his bike pulls almost as good as mine... Pretty close, I must admit. Only a few bike lengths seperate us. I will say this, almost 3 hours on the dyno showed me that I needed this amount of air (that I did on my ride) to achieve my gains.

I did see, with my own eyes, Gramps' 05 show a very significant and nice gain from the same type of air box mod (as you did) and custom tuned PWC map. Although... Well, I ain't into telling fish stories...So, I will leave it to Gramps to tell you how my Hp/Tq Recipe rolls out even on the taller geared Gen II's.

As far as re-sale worries.. A new air box is less than $50 shipped. If you ever want to reset your bike to stock. Though, I will just bolt in (and seal) a square piece of plexi glass over the right side of my box, if I ever wanted to re-use the stock air filter style again (won't though).

All being said..

I like the fact that more folks on this forum are choosing to mod the hot rod! Different ways too! How else do you find power improvements!! It certainly wouldn't be from not messing with it at all!!

Carry on Cdog!

Ride safe,

WW

While doing a TBS, there was no difference in vacuume (Motion Pro - mercury type) with the air shroud & air duct on or off. Then after trimming the snorkel 2" on the case cover, and reinstalling all covers there was about a half-inch drop on vacuume for 1 & 2, very slight on 3&4. When people did mods to the box, did anyone else notice any changes in vacuume observed before/after mod? Oh, the bike runs better & I haven't re-adjusted the Techlusion yet (would like to see what WW gets first using the WB O2 kit.) Muzzy 4-2-1, K&N, & DFO.

I just love these airbox mod threads! About 1 -1.5 yrs. ago, I just mentioned trimming of the shrouding that cuts off the air filter flow, and all the purists jumped in and stated that there was no benefit to it and that YAMAHA had spent vast amounts of resources developing the induction system and basically claimed how dare I even suggest modding it! Then WW comes along... LOL!

I just love these airbox mod threads! About 1 -1.5 yrs. ago, I just mentioned trimming of the shrouding that cuts off the air filter flow, and all the purists jumped in and stated that there was no benefit to it and that YAMAHA had spent vast amounts of resources developing the induction system and basically claimed how dare I even suggest modding it! Then WW comes along... LOL!
Yeah, but he's a cop, and everyone knows cops won't BS ya........ :p

I have owned several bikes that benefited from opening up the air cleaner box, some Hondas were notorious for overly restricted intakes, and responded instantly to minor mods that really woke up the motors. A CB650 I had felt like it gained half again the horses it previously had.

Well, call me a skeptic. You won't see me doing it anytime soon.

I ain't one for SWAGs.

Thanks, Cdog for sharing the type of mod that most of us can do if we want.

Any comments from anyone on increased intake noise from this?

Thanks, Cdog for sharing the type of mod that most of us can do if we want.
Any comments from anyone on increased intake noise from this?

Just did Cdog's mod last night. Went much easier than I anticipated. I also did not re-install the snorkel, and cut off the outer cover as well, but left the part with the foam that covers the electrical / ECU wiring. (Careful, I snapped the connector that holds the ECU wiring in last night... just barely moved it... I guess the plastic got fragile.)

I noticed some increased airbox noise. Not really noticeable when cruising, but definitely there when opening up. It kinda reminds you that you've got a real bike under there, instead of the stealth effect on a stock bike.

Definitely seemed to run up through the rpm's faster. I would love to say it added ponies, but I think more likely it just breathes better and faster, allowing it to rev up quicker, which improves acceleration fer sure.

I've got stock exhaust, ECM, etc. (Soon to be replaced with a Holeshot header / exhaust, I hope.)

Thumbs up Cdog and WW! Thanks guys for posting these mods!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did re-sync my bike, I had to make huge adjustments to make it purr again..... Now that this part is done I am vey happy with the bike.

It is a big difference on my bike...

I have

Barbarian Mod

Muzzy 421

PCIII, W/Muzzy Map

Cdog box Mod (and it sounds like I am not the first IIRC)

I was trying to get the power I felt at sea level back here (I am 4300 Ft Alt. SLC) Not quite, but much closer... Tomarrow I head to sea level...

My intake noise level is up,,,, But I cannot hear it too much over the muzzy and the IPod

My "Ass Dyno" says I likey my bikey :)

I think as long as one uses an aftermarket oiled filter and checked it frequently (and clean it when necessary) it would be OK. My opinion is based upon previous bikes I've owned, such as a CB450 with individual filters (out in the open type on the carbs - remember those?) old Triumphs, dirt bikes, etc. I would probably not do any air box mods running a stock paper filter though.

I have done exactly the same mod on my new 08 as cdogman shows in his pictures. I did the same exact airbox mod on my 05 FJR earlier this year after reading

the thread by wicked webby on his airbox mods. Both the 05 which I sold and the new 08 used the same Stainetune slip ons and K&N filter. So far the mod to the

08 is not quite as impressive as the 05 was with exactly the same mods. This may have something to do with the milage and the fact that the 05 & earlier FJR's are

geared lower and have a shorter wheelbase. I have also not had much time to tune on the new 08 bike. Don't get me wrong the 08 responded very well to the air

box mods but so far not as impressively as the 05 did. The 05 would power wheely at will after the mods in 1st and the 08 I have to really work at it. I need to get this

bike on a dyno with the new power commander I have ordered and find a street racing partner like WW did. :rolleyes:

G'day All,

Just a newbie prolly askin some dumb questions.

Is this mod the same for a 01?

Just bought a 01 the other day and not up to speed like you blokes yet, but the mods have begun already. :yahoo: :clapping:

How do I get a signature on the bottom of my posts, yeah I know another DA question. Just learning this site.

Cheers