Centerstand Replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy

Reaction score
I have a 2003 and bought a 2005 centerstand to replace the original. I knew there were a couple of Mighty Joe Young type springs under there, but hadn't reckoned with not being able to get to the end that loops over the frame.

Has anyone replaced their stand and how'd you successfully wrestle the springs into submission?

jim

Jim,

Now this is without looking, so I could be offering a suggestion that will not work at all, but since you asked......

I've had luck in the past with heavy springs by using this method:

With the spring(s) extended, insert shims (coins work well) between the coils of the spring(s). When the stand is moved to release the tension, the spring now is more or less a strut, and can be manipulated at will.

Putting tension back on the spring(s) will release the shims.

YMMV,

Shane

Drum brake spring pliers also help, are designed to hook the end and provide a good prying leverage.

I don't know about the '04 &'05, but the '03 has two springs, one inside the other. They are held apart by a piece of rubber hose. However, the coins would work on the heavier of the two springs. Thanks for the tip.

jim