Central Florida Riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the total for the day for me was 230 miles or so. We'll probably do a Clermon / Sugarloaf Mountain run next month if you are interested.
I could be in on that one if it's mid-month; we're going out of town the first week of August and won't be back until the Aug 9; lemme know if it works out...

Dave,
Did you make it back home alright? Hope you had a good time for the first half of the ride. Everett and I ended up doing another 75 miles or so before calling it a day. It was getting pretty toasty. I ended up getting home around 1:45pm and was beat.

I think the total for the day for me was 230 miles or so. We'll probably do a Clermon / Sugarloaf Mountain run next month if you are interested.

Ryan
I would be interested!

MadMaps has route #12 north of Clermont if interested. Goes up to the Don Garlit's Museum of Drag Racing on the south side of Ocala and runs along the south boundary of the Ocala Forest and through the orange groves of Lake County. ~147 miles.

Dave,
Did you make it back home alright? Hope you had a good time for the first half of the ride. Everett and I ended up doing another 75 miles or so before calling it a day. It was getting pretty toasty. I ended up getting home around 1:45pm and was beat.

Ryan
Yep, made it home ok. Enjoyed the ride and meeting you. Did just as you suggested, went up to Hwy 64 then made a right and took first left onto Duette Rd, followed it to Hwy 62, made a left and then a right on Hwy 37 and on into Lakeland. At the intersection of Hwy 62 and Duette Rd I saw a guy on an old FJ1200. Reminded me of a friend I used to ride with many years ago that had one.

I'm up for a ride again anytime between now and the 7th of Aug. The second week of Aug. I'll be leaving for a trip to the Ozarks in Missouri to visit family and won't be able to do another ride until the 21st.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Been seriously considering heading to Knoxville in September. Anyone else headed up? I know that RZ350 is also considering the trip. Might be fun to get a few bikes together for that.

Dave,

Ryan
Yep, made it home ok. Enjoyed the ride and meeting you. Did just as you suggested, went up to Hwy 64 then made a right and took first left onto Duette Rd, followed it to Hwy 62, made a left and then a right on Hwy 37 and on into Lakeland. At the intersection of Hwy 62 and Duette Rd I saw a guy on an old FJ1200. Reminded me of a friend I used to ride with many years ago that had one.

I'm up for a ride again anytime between now and the 7th of Aug. The second week of Aug. I'll be leaving for a trip to the Ozarks in Missouri to visit family and won't be able to do another ride until the 21st.

Dave
Hey Dave...

I'll just toss out a date to get things rolling. How about July 31st? We can figure out the where a bit later.

Dave,

Ryan
I would be interested!

MadMaps has route #12 north of Clermont if interested. Goes up to the Don Garlit's Museum of Drag Racing on the south side of Ocala and runs along the south boundary of the Ocala Forest and through the orange groves of Lake County. ~147 miles.
We can look at it. I've got a pretty good route that sends us through the Green Swamp and then up through Clermont and Sugarloaf mountain then down towards San Antonio, Fl.

"went up to Hwy 64 then made a right and took first left onto Duette Rd, followed it to Hwy 62, made a left and then a right on Hwy 37 and on into Lakeland. At the intersection of Hwy 62 and Duette Rd " my neck of the woods, within 10 miles from me. Bob

Depending on future events (read: work), I'd like to be a part of the ride.

I've lived in Fla since 1958 and until today, had NEVER heard of Sugarloaf Mountain, near Clermont!!!

That's a mountain I can climb! :D

I've lived in Fla since 1958 and until today, had NEVER heard of Sugarloaf Mountain, near Clermont!!!

Sugarloaf Mountain is the highest point in the "peninsula" portion of Florida (meaning not including the panhandle).

I'm not sure of the exact coordinates / intersection but we ride past it everytime we do our Clermont ride.

The route is a pretty good one with some nice high speed sweepers much like the Myakka / Arcadia area but fewer straights in between. That's not to say there aren't any straight roads but not as many. It's also nice having the elevation changes as well.

I don't recall the total mileage but it's between 150 - 200 if I remember correctly. Anybody that is interested post up your starting location so I can get a general idea of what a central meeting point would be.

We usually start on Morris Bridge Rd and head NE from there to catch Old Dade City Rd and then over through the Green Swamp. So maybe we could meet some folks near Old Dade City Rd and Hwy 98.

There is a gas station on the corner of Rockridge Rd and Hwy 98 that would make a decent "middle" meeting spot for folks coming from the Orlando / Lakeland Area. I would just need to figure out how long it takes me to get there.

We would be leaving early and not stopping for lunch until the end of the ride in San Antonio area because there aren't alot of places to catch lunch up there.

Sugarloaf Mountain is the highest point in the "peninsula" portion of Florida (meaning not including the panhandle).

I'm not sure of the exact coordinates / intersection but we ride past it everytime we do our Clermont ride.

The route is a pretty good one with some nice high speed sweepers much like the Myakka / Arcadia area but fewer straights in between. That's not to say there aren't any straight roads but not as many. It's also nice having the elevation changes as well.

I don't recall the total mileage but it's between 150 - 200 if I remember correctly. Anybody that is interested post up your starting location so I can get a general idea of what a central meeting point would be.

We usually start on Morris Bridge Rd and head NE from there to catch Old Dade City Rd and then over through the Green Swamp. So maybe we could meet some folks near Old Dade City Rd and Hwy 98.

There is a gas station on the corner of Rockridge Rd and Hwy 98 that would make a decent "middle" meeting spot for folks coming from the Orlando / Lakeland Area. I would just need to figure out how long it takes me to get there.

We would be leaving early and not stopping for lunch until the end of the ride in San Antonio area because there aren't alot of places to catch lunch up there.
DUDE!! You are talking about MY stompin' grounds! I know just the gas station you're talking about....go east on Rockridge Road, stay on Rockridge when it splits at Deen Still Road, take it out to 33, then shoot north to Clermont. It's one of my regular "Long Way Home" rides when I leave work and just don't have the balls to face the wife yet. :p

So far, my work calendar is open on the 31st, so count Howie in! :yahoo:

July 31st sounds good to me. I live about a mile north of I4 and Hwy 98 and can meet anywhere you want. I'm VERY familiar with all the roads mentioned. Just let me know where and when we'll meet up.

Dave

If you want to extend your ride a little bit, head on up to Yalaha. The Yalaha German Bakery is a nice watering hole.
It's just west of Howie-in-the-Hills.
Yep, you're right, been there and they have great German food.

Dave
Slice me up some Heidi Klum!!!

Heidi_Klum-pregnant.jpg

I will be coming from the North (Palatka). Willing to meet anywhere. Just give me a spot and a time on the 31st.

Thanks.

I was just through Yalaha a few weeks ago! I won't know if I can make it until probably just before, but where did you guys want to meet? Let's decide that; maybe a mapquest link? I'm not sure where you're talking about (and what time).

EDIT after consulting Mapquest: OK, I see Rockridge which becomes Green pond Rd and connects to 33. Rockridge & US 98 is north of Lakeland; that would be good for some of us coming from the east as we could get out there in the morning, then work back our way via Sugarloaf. I'd probably slab it out, then come back by getting through Mt. Dora, then 46 back to beautiful downtown Mims (46 & US1). Looks like exit 32 off I-4 will get to US 98, then north to Rockridge rd.

So, Rockridge & US 98 on Saturday July 31? What time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where: Circle K Gas Station on the NE Corner of US 98 and Rockridge Rd

10704 US Highway 98 N, Lakeland, FL‎

When: Yet to be determined. I have to consult with Everett cuz he'll be coming quite a ways north to meet me. It takes me about 1 hour to get to the meet spot. If I had to guess I'd say we could meet at 9am. Kick stands up by 9:15am.

I don't mind heading further north to the Yalaha Bakery.

The route is basically....

Rockridge Rd thru the Green Swamp

Hwy 33 North to CR 561

CR 561 to LakeShore Dr

LakeShore Dr over to 50

Hwy 50 East to Old Hwy 50 via Lake Blvd

Old Hwy 50 turns into 455 heading North

455 to Buckhill Rd North

Buckhill Rd over to 19 / 48 via Revels Rd

Hwy 48 to Yalaha Bakery

From there we need to work our way down Hwy 27 to Bridges Rd. Unless somebody knows of some good back roads to get down that way we'll just shoot over 48 to 27 and head south the Bridges Rd

We'll take Bridges west and head through Center Hill and Webster and end up in around Spring Hill

So take a look at the route and get an idea of where you would like to peel off if needed.