Central Florida tech day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking to leave a little extra on the ends and we'll cut to fit and attach the terminals when it's perfect. What circuits did you need to come off of that Centech again?
Jim, The circuits that come to mind would be:

* Lighting - The Ericcas when I can afford them.

* GPS hard wire for a 550

* A separate power source leading to the trunk to recharge and power a laptop (USB most likely use another power let with adapters)

That is it for now with 2 spare for future considerations.

Would it be a good time to pick up the block off plates? How much extra time to put them in while the tank is off?

Checking out the Canyon cages also… sweet, but will have to wait on them too.

First off, a BIG thanks to fljab and his wife for hosting this get together. I hope we didn't mess things up too badly for you
smile.png
. And thanks to all who showed up, contributed, and simply made this a pleasant experience for me. I really like the idea of a Tech Day occasionally because it gives everyone a chance mingle a bit more than when riding (and I'm sure our bikes appreciate the TLC too!).

I'm really glad I snuck away from my other chores for awhile to ride over - even if it was just a short 2 hour visit for me. It was nice seeing and catching up with some old friends and meeting some new ones. I look forward to more activities in the future with you all - what a great bunch of guys!

fljab has his shop set up nicely for working on bikes and I would have really loved to take care of a few things on my FJR, had I more time. All your efforts in preparation for this event paid off. Everyone one was commenting on how they would never leave the garage if their's looked like this.

12030057914_e47c3eaf55_c.jpg

Here's a shot of the group (with me playing cameraman and Tony joining the group this time)

12030518096_ba74200ca7_c.jpg

(Hopefully the images come in okay - I've posted hundreds of pictures into this forum in the past, but something seems to have changed lately and it was giving me some grief inserting them from Flickr)

Hope to see you all soon (on the road or in the garage
smile.png
)

Mark

Vic - yes, come by when you're ready. Beware tho that when it warms up (everywhere else) I ride off here and there, but I'm sure we can coordinate.

Gary - I have a Carbtune Pro, is that what you mean? I've never used mine but need to as I am way overdue.

T - Yes, doing the block off plates isn't all that hard, but there is a little bit to it. Also need to block off the port/opening to the air cleaner. I may have an extra one of what I used floating around in the shop somewhere.

RZ - You da man! Thanks for coming over. I'm drinking your Gatorades...

We can maybe think about another tech day in a couple of months; work out a time that's good for everyone.

Sounds good, Jim. It'll be a while before I need tires but, what I'll do is, ship them to your place when I order them. Strapping them on the back of my bike is a little too Hill Billy for me! Lmao!! I'll let you know! I'm hoping no one noticed the drool running down my chin when I walked into that Tim the Toolman Taylor Garage! :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, mine!!!! LOL!!

Great time. I do need to do a front tire in the not too distant future. Will let you know Jim. Let's plan something south for Feb.

New thread of course.

Gary, we can do the TBS next time no sweat and Vic, how about the throttle grip mod a la G2 style? that is really so simple and makes one hell of a difference.

Please keep me posted re any tire change sessions, I may want to do that too, and work in a spline lube at the same time!

Steve, that very thought popped in my mind while reading all the stuff this crew wants to do in the future. Shaving that groove looks like it'll be a piece of cake. Let's pencil that one in for the next meet. Hell, we won't even need floor space in the garage! :)

Watching Pale Rider 07's pictures over and over (Outstanding photography by the way)! I noticed a lot of hot dogs. Just looking at them made me hungry again. Just out of curiosity, how were they? That was New York's Finest right there. There's a stand on every corner. You never have to worry about where to go to grab a quick lunch! :))

Good Dogs indeed Vic!

Viewing the postings - sounds like another tech day is in order (?)

I have to say that Jim has the most awesome garage and tools that I have seen and judging from other comments, I am not alone in my thoughts.

With 2 lifts for spline and tire changes and TBs could be done on the floor, we could really knock out some bikes fast. I apologize for having a bike that

needed so much attention. I also thank everyone who helped out.

Jim,

Say the word and I will be there!

On another thought line…

We do have some sights and attractions here in Florida. I will post up a thread on rider's destination desires. If we can get enough interest, we can start planning

some destinations. Perhaps with the wonderful participation that has occurred over the past 3 events, we should give ourselves a group name? If you have been following the

Southern FJR Owners (SFO) meeting thread, You will see that perhaps they could be energized by us a bit?

Share your thoughts.

Tony

Oh Dude! You of all people would know where the good shit is. I saw the post of you writing F J R across the state! (WICKED)!!!!!

Count me in! I probably don't have the spare time that you do but, I'll follow you! With advance warning, I can make space in my schedule. :))

Vic, shame on us for not praising up your dogs before....not only do you bring them and the fixins', you grill 'em up too, we were spoiled for the second time!

I'm know I'm not alone in saying how good they were, a great way to sample some New York fare !!

Vic - Your dogs were great! If I hadn't have been an "unplanned" guest and treading lightly going through the food line, I would have eaten a half dozen
smile.png

Tony - Name for the motley group? How about the FL-Flyers, Florida-Flatlanders, or maybe considering the advanced age demographic of the group, perhaps FL-Flat-Liners
smile.png
. (Just kidding!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and Tony - the case lettering is PERFECT! Even goes well with the GIVI logo.

Vic, the reason you didn't hear anything about the hot dogs, was because we were too busy stuffing our faces with them! :)

Thank you!

I just double checked my records and found that the PR3 I removed Saturday gave me 18k miles. I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't think I'd had it on there that long. Especially since about a thousand of those miles were on some extremely hot West Coast desert slab at high speeds this summer. However, there's more to the story. Ever since the very first day I put that tire on, it caused the handlebars to shake back and forth at about 35-45 mph. The mechanic that mounted the tire last year assumed that it had something to do with my CT on the back. I told him I doubted it as my old worn-out PR2 didn't cause any shaking. He rebalanced it. No change. Later that week, I called Michelin. They wanted me to take it back to the dealer and have the dealer call them, which I did. They didn't answer the phone that day for some reason. Frustrated, I figured that I'd just ride it for awhile and see if it smoothed out. It never did, and I never went back. I probably could have gotten it replaced if I'd pressed the issue, but the shaking wasn't that big of a deal.

I am happy to say that on the way home from Mims, there was no shaking at any speed with the new PR2. Ha-- that's a small miracle since I balanced it myself. Guess the old PR3 was indeed a defective tire. I know that's not normal for a PR3, but that's what happened.

Gary

darksider #44