Chance for FJR Track time and training

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.utahsba.com/forum/viewtop...=111762#111762
I have done this ST-ART twice.... N o modifications for the FJR to get on the track, instructors all day.. AWESOME COURSE...

AWESOME Course

https://www.utahsba.com/schools/START/ << Class info
Can you describe the day? How much actual track time, how fast on the track, how many on the track at one time, instructors, what kind of bikes and riders were there, etc.?

I'm thinking about making the drive over from central Colorado.

https://www.utahsba.com/forum/viewtop...=111762#111762
I have done this ST-ART twice.... N o modifications for the FJR to get on the track, instructors all day.. AWESOME COURSE...

AWESOME Course

https://www.utahsba.com/schools/START/ << Class info
Can you describe the day? How much actual track time, how fast on the track, how many on the track at one time, instructors, what kind of bikes and riders were there, etc.?

I'm thinking about making the drive over from central Colorado.

I have been to this course two times, 2007 and 2008

My biggest concern I had when I was considering this course was I did not want to be on the track with a much of sport bikes zipping around me since I had never been on a track before.. This is not the way it is. The track boys are on the track alternating 30 minute sessions..

In 2007 there was two students per instructor. the day starts off with a tech inspection... If you have been taking care of your bike, no problem. They are going to turn your throttle and make sure it returns "crisply" and pull your front brake handle and make sure it does not bottom out.. Look at the tires and make sure you have some decent tread life left

Then there is a 30 minute classroom session

Then there is a alternating 30 minute track sessions alternating with 30 minute class/break times.

The class/break time is the time when your instructor from the previous track session tells you what it is you need to pay attention to on the next track time. Each lap the squadron changes positions.. The guy in front of the instructor moves to the back.. and the guy behind the instructor moves to the front.. So everyone can watch the instructor (in back) and be watched by the instructor (in front). Then

there is invariably a 15-25 minute class time where a head instructor tells you what to work on and the theory of it for the next track time/sessions.. Then the next track session it iw waht everyone works on

By the end of the day, you will have had 8-30 minute track sessions and 8-30 minute breaks

The speeds for the track during the morning are pretty slow.. You will probably not exceed 70-80 for the morning sessions... Now, as the day wears on the speeds will pick up...

The main back straight away away is NOT for hauling ass.. the speed limit is 70, that is not enforced but the track is fully staffed and if you are being unsafe and blowing it (riding in an unsafe fasion) you will be blackflagged and pulled from the track.

There is no speed limit for the rest of the track. It is important to understand YOU ARE NOT RACING EACH OTHER!!

for the first 5 or so sessions passing is not allowed... they group the bikes in squadrons with like skills and like bikes. Faster bikes stay together,

There are not many corners that you can take in the triple digits so you can easily be at 10/10ths after the 3rd of 4th session.. For the last 2-3 sessions passing is allowed in the straights as well... SAFETY and learning to ride are the goals of the day. NO EGOS ALLOWED... Anyone riding like a fucktard will be ejected in a heartbeat. Miller Motorsports Park has waved many a requirement to be on the track (Glycol, no safety wire, lights do not need to be taped, so on) So it is a priviledge to be able to do this and one guy blowing it can kill this program for everyone..

By the end of the day it is pretty much a free forall.... no squadrons. Just no fucktards either... ride hard as hell, but dont scare anyone else by acting like a trad.

In 2008 there was 4 guys in my squadron

There were Road glides, A burgman scooter, BMW's FJR (me) Motards,,, one super sexy girl on an R6.. Everyone was there.

My riding skills did better the second time.. the first time I was trying to go fast.. the second time I payed attention and learned more... thus I was faster by the end of the day.

there is a TON of learning and fun to be had.. and for 295 bucks there is no better deal on the planet... the instructors love what they do and it shows..

Good times!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Was this where you learned how to crash? :fuck:

Due to financial constraints, I'm gonna have to learn how to crash much closer to home....

And we know you need the practice Robin........ :p :p
R

Due to financial constraints, I'm gonna have to learn how to crash much closer to home....
Why I gotta put up with you two busting my chops?? :glare:

Of course this is where I learned how to crash.. They taught me well too :angry2: :yahoo:

Anyone else wanna come I got Rick from Vegas coming already.. I am telling you,, it is Fuuuuunnnnnnnnn

And they teach you how to crash !! LMAO

thanks, that was very helpful. I may make the ride over from central Colorado.

This sounds like a ton of fun and great for building skills and confidence withouta huge investment. Wish they had more dates. April is a no go for me. Maybe next year. It would be fun to center a trip around it. Thanks for letting me know about this.

sdfdf.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]One mans crash is another mans "Big Air" It's just how he tells the story![/SIZE] :clapping:

Anyone else wanna come I got Rick from Vegas coming already.. I am telling you,, it is Fuuuuunnnnnnnnn
Put me down for a definate maybe. Gotta talk to the wife but that's an easy day trip each way. I am sure I can make a 3 day weekend out of it!!

I will get back to you ASAP!!

B)

Make sure you register if you are going to go.

Keep in though.. Perhaps we can all get together and burn a cow. Rick is staying with me. I also have another extra bed unclaimed.. I have Garage space for plenty of bikes.. I have much floor space for bunking. and a couple couches too

I may be able to do this, I'll talk to the Boss and see. Could you suggest any hotels close by?

I think this would be a 3 day weekend like Spyderbret said.

Thanks. Lee

As I said above.. I have bunk space... and a garage that can fit many bikes... You are welcome to stay at my place.. If you are uncomfortable with that then I would look in Tooele, Utah.. that would put you as close to the action as possible.. (Google will be your friend here)

My house is a good 45 minutes from the track.. But I do a mean BBQ.. and I brew my own beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cdogman, that sounds great. count me in. I got the OK from the Boss. It's my birthday on the 12th so that's my Bday gift to myself.

Talk to you soon.

Lee

excellent Lee,, Will you be staying at my place as well then?? and do not forget to register with the second link and pay the fee above.. I am not affiliated with the instructors beyond being a member of the Utah sport bike assn... just some guy.

There is no charge for crashing at my pad.. Everyone has to pitch in for chow supplies and beverages.. that is all...

PM to follow with contact info and address

I just looked at the link from the first post and they say the dates are not final yet. I'm pretty sure I'm in but dont want to commit before it's finalized....

B)

Those dates are a solid as they are going to get.. I know that sounds sketchy.. But the reason they say that is because Miller Motorsportspark can make changes beyond their control...

Honestly, there is a risk,, but I would not hesitate to sign up,, To each their own.. Hope to see you come out.. it is great fun