Changing Gears without using the clutch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doncha just preload the shift lever, then when the engine hits the rev limiter it pops into the next gear? :ph34r:
More often than not I don't use the clutch from 2nd up but always use it for downshifts.
I'd like to learn this but would somebody do a "one, two, buckle my shoe" tutorial? I've done some with stick shift cars but not at "rev limiter-type" revs. Seems like I would speed up, then close the throttle and when the transmission unloaded do the shift. Is that right?

Thanks.

Never been a problem,

Just don't force it into gear... Push it slightly between throttle pauses.

WW

That's why they put the extra lever on the left, just to balance out the bars. Can't wait to see the post under technical problems in a few..........."noise coming from tranny. What's the problem?" :dribble:

My son drives a semi and only uses the clutch at stops but he's a professional. Use the clutch!

I remember seeing a blurb in one of the cycle rags about tips from pro for improving your riding. #1 tip "Forget about the clutch for up shifts." Maybe they can afford to say that since they get their bikes rebuilt every few days, but after reading that I started to mess around with not using the clutch, and have never looked back. As others have said, the one problem is that if you miss the shift, you really miss it.

What I want to know is, do you take advantage of that butter smooth shift into first you get at about 2mph and sit through the light wearing a hole in your throwout bearing, or, do you go to neutral and clunk into first right before you take off?
Spalkin, I sit through the light wearing a hole in my throwout bearing...until such time as there's a couple cars behind and next to me. I always stay alert while stopped at a light for cars that can rear end you or miss a turn and slide into you, etc. I've been rear ended in a car before...I don't want to it happen on my bike so I'm constantly looking for who's gonna hit me and where I'm gonna go if/when I see 'em coming. And for sure sidewalks and pulling into intersections with no traffic are fair game if someone's gonna hit you! :)

What I want to know is, do you take advantage of that butter smooth shift into first you get at about 2mph and sit through the light wearing a hole in your throwout bearing, or, do you go to neutral and clunk into first right before you take off?
Spalkin, I sit through the light wearing a hole in my throwout bearing...until such time as there's a couple cars behind and next to me. I always stay alert while stopped at a light for cars that can rear end you or miss a turn and slide into you, etc. I've been rear ended in a car before...I don't want to it happen on my bike so I'm constantly looking for who's gonna hit me and where I'm gonna go if/when I see 'em coming. And for sure sidewalks and pulling into intersections with no traffic are fair game if someone's gonna hit you! :)
I have been rear-ended waiting on a left turn light, after watching to make sure the car behind me had come to a complete stop. The elderly man driving saw the cars next to him move when the light to go straight went green, and he floored it. Sent me through the intersection, and he kept driving. I caught up with him a couple of miles down the road and flagged him over, he thought I was trying to rob him. I explained what happened and he replied that I had put it in reverse and backed into him :blink:

I went to the local police station with the guy's plate number, but they said there was nothing they could do.

I keep it in first, always!

As a result of this thread I've started trying the clutchless shift (almost said shiftless clutch) and its really smooth. I started by dropping the throttle off a lot but I find you really don't need much de-throttling. Just apply a little up pressure on the shifter and close the throttle a smidgeon and there you are in the new gear. No noise, just smooth. Now I have to work on the downshift :D Thanks for the thread and discussion.

Cheer,

7X

OK, I'll bite.

Clutchless shifts all the time just like described earlier, which you can't do on the AE's. Not because the AE does not have a clutch, because it's clutch is electronic. The AE does have a clutch. Those who said otherwise are incorrect.

I always use the clutch between N-1-2. Going up or down without the clutch is a long practiced event for me, which does no harm to my transmission.

A combination of timing and throttle input gives me buttery soft up and down shifts

I can shift without the clutch but am not interested in the AE because I do not get to choose when the clutch is used.

Call me old fashioned, but some technology is not grand or in my desire.

YMMV

As a result of this thread I've started trying the clutchless shift (almost said shiftless clutch) and its really smooth. I started by dropping the throttle off a lot but I find you really don't need much de-throttling. Just apply a little up pressure on the shifter and close the throttle a smidgeon and there you are in the new gear. No noise, just smooth. Now I have to work on the downshift :D Thanks for the thread and discussion.Cheer,

7X
Cool, my thread got to 3 pages and helped someone out. :yahoo:

For what it's worth...I am on my second FJR (new 07)....previously had an 05...

I frequently shifted w/o the clutch, up only and not hard hammer shifts....they have been smooth and not problematic...I cannot see how it could hurt the trans...but I would give Yam :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: aha credit...If they say its not good well.....may your own shoice...

Still goin'? well shit.. I better add a dime!

Shifted gears for nigh on ten years in my old K dub. Only time it seen action was starting out and whilst sittin. :whistle:

If yer really practiced you can even do it on a moorsicle. I do. Just gotta feeeeel it.

:jester:

Learned it first in my VW...

Used in anything that wasn't an auto ever since....

As far as the AE goes, I was leary of the technology, and all the extra parts....seems like a lot more to go wrong, and to me the clutch adds a margin of safety for a guy who had a 17 year riding break...