Chattering windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrr

Reaction score
I picked up my new (to me) 2010 FJR a few weeks ago. It had 8800 miles on it then. I think I got a good deal but there is one problem I hope someone can help me with. The windshield chatters when going up or down. I'm not real mechanical minded so I really don't want to start taking things apart without some sound advice from someone who knows what they are doing. I sprayed a little silicon down the slots and that seemed to help a bit but did not completely stop the chattering. Anyone have a solution or do I need a mechanic to fix this?

My 2012 started that around 1200 miles.

I used a product called Sil Glyde and put a thin layer on the edges of the rubber trim that the windshield arms slide through... problem solved... I have almost 2000 on it now and the issue has not returned.

I'm sure any "rubber safe" lube will work, but I have used Sil Glyde for years on things like this. It is a colorless, tanacious, plastic and rubber safe lube. One tube will last you years.

Your local auto parts store should have it.. if not Amazon does (Clicky)

For the first time in three FJRs I've had, my '09 began chattering at Clans a couple weeks ago. :-(

Pulled off all the plastic and removed the nose piece to expose the glides. Cleaned all the dried out grease, removed the accumulated grit and then re-lubed the assembly. Fixed!

First time it'll take you time to figure out all the bits, but it really isn't too bad. Search a little and you'll find a few threads for how-to on nose removal. Only real way to remedy the chattering windshield. If the bike is under warranty, have the dealer do it on their dime!

Good luck.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not disagree with EscapeFjrtist at all... I lack experience with this bike and have a great deal of respect for all of you.

...but you may not have to take things apart yet.

This was the problem area I experienced... no dissasembly needed on mine.

I used a finger tip... a q-tip would work.

Lube the edges of the rubber trim as indicated by the red arrows with a rubber safe lube (SilGlyde is my preference.. you could also use a clear silicone diealectric grease, or maybe some black synthetic caliper lube)

I dont think spray silicone would be thick enough to last, and might not fully cover the edges.

I put a little on the arms too where they contact.

I could not belive something so simple could make the screen chatter like it did...

800 miles later, bugs, washes, rain, etc... still good.

slides.jpg

Definitely worth checking the easy items first. The rubbers along the windshield arms are held on with what looks like double sided tape. These have been known to come loose and get caught up in the mechanism, doesn't sound like the OP symptoms though.

The nylon(?) glides on my assembly looked to be lubed well enough, but the edges were causing the chattering.

Whatever's the cause it sure is irritating when it starts!

-G

Can't have a chattering FJR....I ride the thing to get away from my chattering wifey.. [bought a smuggler too]

My windshield started chattering when my bike only had about 1500 miles on it. Since I have an irrational fear of dealer service departments, I fixed it myself even though the bike was under warranty.

First, I polished the tracks. After polishing, there was hardly any chatter even without lube. Then I lubed the tracks with Dupont Teflon dry-film lube. The windshield has been working great ever since.

I also disabled the auto-retract when everything was apart. I figured it will save wear on the mechanism. In addition, if it ever starts chattering again, I won't have to endure the awful sound every time I turn my bike off.

My 2008 is starting to "moan".......kinda' turns me on.......think I'll leave her alone.
lol.gif

I'll try a Silicone lube........any Silicone lube is safe for rubber, never use petroleum jelly to lube 0-rings or rubber, it deteriates it.

(I'm in the swimming pool industry, manufacturers tell the pool techs not to lube the o-rings of filters and pumps with Vaseline or any petroleum product)

BTW......"thick" car tire shine might work, most of the "gel" or thick stuff is silicone based for rubber.

The gasket is actually a soft PVC, not rubber. The PVC is likely a little more chemically resistant than most rubber.

Thanks to all who replied. I ordered a tube of Sil Glyde and it came today. The problem has been improved but I think I may be taking her apart when the temperature starts to drop again. Until then she will have to remind me of Inewlf's chatty wife.

So did the Sil Glyde fix it? and you wanna take it apart to do more?

Or did it just help a little and you still have an issue?

just curious.. thanks :)